HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:47 PM

Cornwall Bypass

Here’s a link to an aerial tour of the Cornwall Bypass. Very unimpressive piece of infrastructure with no obvious planning for future expansion or active transportation addition.

http://pei360vr.com/Cornwall/output/...MAL9jGWQsw96FE

These are your tax dollars. These are your tax dollars up in smoke.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
Here’s a link to an aerial tour of the Cornwall Bypass. Very unimpressive piece of infrastructure with no obvious planning for future expansion or active transportation addition.

I think it looks good.
We must remember this is in addition to the old road that still runs through Cornwall.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
I see they made a BIG blunder with the new bypass around Cornwall. It is only two lanes!!! With the population growing so fast, this is not being progressive. Our highways department is still hung-up in the 60's. Worst planning I've ever seen. It should be 4 lanes ya dummies!
Please read about induced demand.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Please read about induced demand.
I’m not saying it should be a six lane expressway in each direction, but this thing doesn’t even have a passing lane. So if I get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle, or some slow driver with nothing but time to waste, there’s no passing lane from North River until Bonshaw. It’s a step backwards, the road though Cornwall and Clyde River had several passing lanes.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:22 PM

Why in the blazes would they put an AT trail right beside a highway?
If you don't recall, there's a province-wide network of trails that is exclusively for pedestrians (walkers, runners, cyclists, etc.)
I think we need to keep active transportation away from high speed traffic, but that could just be me.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:

60's design for the 21st century. They'll find traffic backup big time. Why the heavens name they didn't make it four lanes is just utterly STUPID. Who are these dumb engineers? Fire them all and hire mainland engineers who can build highways of today. What a waste of money!!! Be prepared for some majors accidents on this stretch. I can see it coming now!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, the Confederation Bridge is only two lanes, so the TCH on the Island will never be a four lane divided highway, but I do agree that they could have been a little more forward thinking.

In particular, any bridges or overpasses along the bypass should have been built wide enough to eventually allow for a four lane roadway. I imagine the Charlottetown Bypass eventually will be four lane along it's entire length, divided in places with additional overpasses and interchanges at important intersections. They need to plan their roadways not just for today, but also 40-50 years into the future as well........

Will they ever extend the Charlottetown Bypass westward across Upton Road to connect to the Cornwall Bypass??? This would seem like a no brainer to me........

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 7:09 PM

Will they ever extend the Charlottetown Bypass westward across Upton Road to connect to the Cornwall Bypass??? This would seem like a no brainer to me........[/QUOTE]

I had heard many years ago that they wanted to take the bypass past Upton road and out to Cornwall, however, the plan was scrapped due to the cost of a bridge over North River. The reason I put a little stock in the story is, since then, the N. River causeway has gone to 4 lanes, a roundabout went in by the old rink, etc. I would love to see it, the bypass stops in a weird spot IMO.
If greater Charlottetown keeps expanding Westward maybe they will reconsider.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
New proposal for a 43 unit, 5 storey apartment building at King and Dorchester Streets. 4 lots need to be consolidated for this project.

15-Oct-19 APPROVED
94-98 Dorchester St., 100-102 Dorchester St.,
91 King St., 93 King St.
Major variance - Lot frontage. height and sideyard setback
Nine Yards Studio 5-Nov-19

Last edited by Siriusb; Oct 21, 2019 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
The apartment is only one part of the overall plan. They're going to revitalise the Queen, King, Dorchester block.

15-Oct-19 APPROVED
58-64 Queen St.
and 68 Queen St. Lot consolidation Nine Yards
Studio 5-Nov-19

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Will they ever extend the Charlottetown Bypass westward across Upton Road to connect to the Cornwall Bypass??? This would seem like a no brainer to me........
I had heard many years ago that they wanted to take the bypass past Upton road and out to Cornwall, however, the plan was scrapped due to the cost of a bridge over North River. The reason I put a little stock in the story is, since then, the N. River causeway has gone to 4 lanes, a roundabout went in by the old rink, etc. I would love to see it, the bypass stops in a weird spot IMO.
If greater Charlottetown keeps expanding Westward maybe they will reconsider.[/QUOTE]

The Pat Binns government in the 90’s actually bought about 75% of the ROW needed for the bypass to continue with a new bridge over north river. The western part of the ROW was used in the bypass that ended up getting built.

The reason that it never evened up getting built until now is that, after the ROW was purchased, the Binns government thought it would be a better use of funds to rebuild route 2 from Summerside to Charlottetown. In the early 2000’s a large number of passing lanes were added, especially between Kensington and Charlottetown. Almost the entire road was rebuilt over a 6-7 year period. It was ultimately finished by the Ghiz government in the late 2000’s.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
I’m not saying it should be a six lane expressway in each direction, but this thing doesn’t even have a passing lane. So if I get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle, or some slow driver with nothing but time to waste, there’s no passing lane from North River until Bonshaw. It’s a step backwards, the road though Cornwall and Clyde River had several passing lanes.
There are two long passing lanes in both direction that we can see in this video. It's a great addon for bypassing Cornwall, but that weird that's the speed limit are 90, I've would put it to 100, super two in Quebec and NB are 100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGG7...Amgim4qQOWi_Tk

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFreeway View Post
There are two long passing lanes in both direction that we can see in this video. It's a great addon for bypassing Cornwall, but that weird that's the speed limit are 90, I've would put it to 100, super two in Quebec and NB are 100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGG7...Amgim4qQOWi_Tk
90 KM is the maximum speed on any road on the Island. I have been on the Island since 1984, minus 4 years in the 90's, and I cannot recall ever seeing a sign above 90 K. SOMEONE please correct me if I am wrong and tell me where a 100K sign exists.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice video, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
90 KM is the maximum speed on any road on the Island. I have been on the Island since 1984, minus 4 years in the 90's, and I cannot recall ever seeing a sign above 90 K. SOMEONE please correct me if I am wrong and tell me where a 100K sign exists.
Nowhere

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:55 PM

Some more bland apartment buildings being constructed in Cornwall. I believe there are 4 apartment buildings being constructed now in the town.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 3:01 PM

Bland will hopefully translate to a lower cost and for PEI in general they need more of these. We have family looking for a home on PEI on a shoestring budget and it's nearly impossible. Even the ugly houses needing tens of thousands in renos are selling within a matter of days.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Bland will hopefully translate to a lower cost and for PEI in general they need more of these. We have family looking for a home on PEI on a shoestring budget and it's nearly impossible. Even the ugly houses needing tens of thousands in renos are selling within a matter of days.

Hopefully things will work out for your family. I noticed 2 other apartments being built in Charlottetown. One is on Capital Drive, looks like maybe an 18 unit building, the other is on Gower Street. There is actually 2 apartments being built here, one is about 75% complete, the other was just started in the last month or so. The first one I would guess would be 36 units and is 3.5 storeys. The foundation for the second unit looks to be the same size.
They are being constructed on vacant land here; https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.25159.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:59 PM

Here are some pictures of the first apartment building on Gower Street.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:35 AM

Stratford's Proposed School Complex

The plans for the campus include both a junior and senior high school, athletic fields and a wellness centre that includes an arena. Once built, the population of Stratford will really take off.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ttee-1.5343310

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces