HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 1:00 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I think my major issue with how this has been framed is that it's somehow Toronto's fault that it got 40-50cm dumped on it. Toronto didn't vote PC, and if car-centric suburbs in the GTA want to that's fine on them, but weather is weather regardless of what government there is at Queen's Park.

If someone from Toronto tried to blame people from literally anywhere else over the weather they'd be crucified. It's opportunistic at best.
Good points.

And if this were a Conservative snowstorm, you'd think they'd have projected a lot but delivered a fraction. And then blamed the "lefties" for that.

Weather is weather. Never a truer statement made.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 1:12 AM

Quote:
I think my major issue with how this has been framed is that it's somehow Toronto's fault that it got 40-50cm dumped on it. Toronto didn't vote PC, and if car-centric suburbs in the GTA want to that's fine on them, but weather is weather regardless of what government there is at Queen's Park.

If someone from Toronto tried to blame people from literally anywhere else over the weather they'd be crucified. It's opportunistic at best.
There is not a highway in this province that can have 40-50 cm dumped on it and stay functional.

For all the bellyaching, the regions that get the worst snow conditions are generally east of the Great Lakes. This includes largish sections of Southern Ontario. I seemingly remember Highway 402 becoming an impassible mess a few years ago in winter. Didn’t people have to be rescued by helicopter?

It is interesting to note that the complaints about unfairness to ‘The North’ are repeated ad nauseum, some of the so-called northern city issues have more in common with southern cities than with small towns. Overloaded metro hospitals, crumbling infrastructure, issues with addiction and homelessness.

The rural-urban divide is more real than the North/South one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I am not blaming Toronto for the weather. I am blaming the GTA for the way it tends to vote.
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-st...tes-by-riding/
That is a lot of blue.

The problem is that these cuts did not just happen with for and Harris, but it has been happening for decades as a way to add programs to their election platform without making sure we have what we need in place.Just like the problems in the LTC homes or the hospitals are not just a PC problem. This started in the 80s with the NDP, then he PCs and Liberals just kept up the cuts. We need to stop cutting things like snow plowing to add some sort of government program that gies a tax break for the higher income earners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yeah, let's keep 1000 or more extra plows on hand on the off chance we get a major storm every few years that dumps a massive amount of snow in a short period of time at the worst time of day. Maybe we can just heat the highway so snow melts on contact.
The problem isn't the 1000 extra plows needed (as you stated) but the need for competent plow operators. The race to the bottom has been the privatization of the operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Good points.

And if this were a Conservative snowstorm, you'd think they'd have projected a lot but delivered a fraction. And then blamed the "lefties" for that.

Weather is weather. Never a truer statement made.
If the key to having lots of snow was a PC government, I'd change my voting to PCs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
There is not a highway in this province that can have 40-50 cm dumped on it and stay functional.

For all the bellyaching, the regions that get the worst snow conditions are generally east of the Great Lakes. This includes largish sections of Southern Ontario. I seemingly remember Highway 402 becoming an impassible mess a few years ago in winter. Didn’t people have to be rescued by helicopter?

It is interesting to note that the complaints about unfairness to ‘The North’ are repeated ad nauseum, some of the so-called northern city issues have more in common with southern cities than with small towns. Overloaded metro hospitals, crumbling infrastructure, issues with addiction and homelessness.

The rural-urban divide is more real than the North/South one.
What makes up much of the North? A truck driver cannot drive West from Toronto without running out of driving hours. That would mean that the rural split you speak of is very real in Northern ON.

This is not about the fact that 30+cm of snow fell. This is about how the governments have been cutting the plow budget constantly over decades, and now it looks good to see the 401 shut down through the city of Toronto; something I thought I would never see. So, when the next PC candidate knocks on my door this spring, we have some great discussions ahead.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 2:38 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I am not blaming Toronto for the weather. I am blaming the GTA for the way it tends to vote.
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-st...tes-by-riding/
That is a lot of blue.
Who cares? Voting patterns don't cause storms, but you've used storms as an excuse to complain about voting patterns.

Imagine reacting to a forest fire in Kapuskasing with 'How does it feel voting NDP?' It's petty.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 2:42 AM

This is a once in a generation snow event for Toronto basically in terms of severity.. it shouldn’t be surprising that it caused problems.

It’s the same reason nobody claimed Atlanta is a giant failure for not keeping a fleet of plows for the one time a decade it gets snow. That one day is just a write off.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 3:04 AM

Quote:
This started in the 80s with the NDP
huh?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 3:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Who cares? Voting patterns don't cause storms, but you've used storms as an excuse to complain about voting patterns.

Imagine reacting to a forest fire in Kapuskasing with 'How does it feel voting NDP?' It's petty.
Voting can cause it.... I wasn't going to go there, but I will. One part to climate change is wetter weather. More snow is the wet part of winter weather. When you have governments that don't want to do something about climate change, we get wetter weather like this.

So, actually, yes, voting can cause wetter storms. Just not in the way you were trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
This is a once in a generation snow event for Toronto basically in terms of severity.. it shouldn’t be surprising that it caused problems.

It’s the same reason nobody claimed Atlanta is a giant failure for not keeping a fleet of plows for the one time a decade it gets snow. That one day is just a write off.
I am not suggesting we have a giant fleet sitting idle fora decade for "just in case". That storm is a regular occurrence up north, and we have less plowing per lane than the GTA has for their government owned highways.

Quote:
huh?
The cuts to public service. All plow operators used to work for the government. Now they work for a company contracted to do it. The company was the lowest bidder.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:

The cuts to public service. All plow operators used to work for the government. Now they work for a company contracted to do it. The company was the lowest bidder.
I'm aware of that. My "huh?" was in response to you saying the NDP in the 80's had anything to do with that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm aware of that. My "huh?" was in response to you saying the NDP in the 80's had anything to do with that.
Bob Rae and his Rae Days began the cuts.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Bob Rae and his Rae Days began the cuts.
Rae wasn't elected until 1990, and the Social Contract didn't come about until a few years after that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:08 PM
Ham-burgher

I don't think there was much outsourcing until the Harris PC government took the reins in 1995. Ray did cut back on some things within government, but that really started gathering steam under North Bay Mike's "Common Sense Revolution"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 11:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Rae wasn't elected until 1990, and the Social Contract didn't come about until a few years after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I don't think there was much outsourcing until the Harris PC government took the reins in 1995. Ray did cut back on some things within government, but that really started gathering steam under North Bay Mike's "Common Sense Revolution"
The (un)Common Sense Revolution really did a number to the province, but the Rae Days era showed the PCs they could do a lot and it be accepted by the voters. That is why I don't blame one party, or one leader for the mess we are in.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 11:43 PM

View looking southerly along Highway 579 approaching the Abitibi River crossing, north of Cochrane:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/secon...eb22_24x16.jpg

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 3:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://hwy403hwy6preliminarydesigne...ommended-plan/
Major reconfiguration planned for 403/6N

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
View looking southerly along Highway 579 approaching the Abitibi River crossing, north of Cochrane:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/secon...eb22_24x16.jpg
I've been there more than a few times.

It's strange that the signs aren't bilingual.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 3:40 AM

Digital Ends sign for the 407 in Ontario. This sign isn't new or anything, I just think it's an interesting use of a digital sign:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ug21_24x16.jpg

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 1:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Digital Ends sign for the 407 in Ontario. This sign isn't new or anything, I just think it's an interesting use of a digital sign:
For the times there's nothing better to say?

The others I've seen seem to note things like "don't drink and drive" or "drive cautiously in winter"

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 1:56 AM

This is kind of an old photo as it was taken before the northbound HOV lane opened on the 400, but I think the autumn colours are nice. Looking north on the 400 approaching the King Road interchange from October, 2021:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ct21_24x16.jpg

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 2:00 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Am I losing my mind or are there a few of these on the 401 east of Toronto now, too? I saw electric signs giving etas to various places and off-ramps and I think they were new...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 2:03 AM

^They're relatively new. Installed within the last couple of years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario