HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 1:54 AM

Urceopolis - A sketchup city (warning, big pictures)

Hey there guys. I'm just returning to Sketchup after a year in "exile" if you will; I'm beginning to build on a original project I started to built for a roleplay a year or so ago. It is a part of Urceopolis (it will be expanded eventually), capitol of a fictional European empire called Urcea. Credit to "Google" author and various other authors, I used some of their textures (especially on the stadium). I wish I wouldn't have to but I'm a complete noobster who can't make his own textures yet because I'm not completely sure how that works. Now, get ready for "the suck".

Urceopolis is considered the "New Dubai"; ambitious projects galore, many of them met, many not. Regardless, the city has garnered the name "Mile High City" for its many skyscrapers.

City overview

The Met

The Metropolitan Imperial Tower, the tallest building on Earth. It us approx 966 meters tall with 190 floors. It is still in the late stages of construction (both in the building's character and actually in sketchup). It is part of a retro design series for Urceopolitan skyscrapers.

Another shot of the Met.

The Julian Towers

A relatively old building, this 30 yr old tower was completed in 2009. Originally, the Julian Towers were indeed two towers. However, Julian Motors needed more office space, and, after a new building plan fell through, they ingeniously connected the two towers into one.

The Somers Building

The Somers Building is part of a massive conglomerate of radio stations which split up the building and divide it, named after the infamous Steve Somers. Completed in 2019.

The Daimler Building

Daimler Benz's massive corporate tower, it was, for quite a while, the largest building in the city at 880 meters tall and 170 stories, but surpassed eventually by the Met. Completed in 2023.

The Shadow District

The aptly named "Shadow District" is a business district in the "shadows" of the massive buildings that tower overhead. Most of these buildings are pretty old, dating to the eighties and nineties. A new building is sometimes sighted in the district, but not common, because the buildings in the district are well kept.

The Reservoir

A massive above ground reservoir similar to that which was in New York City, this building dated back to the late 1800s. It was used as the main reservoir where water was collected from underground springs. After reservoirs were opened in the rural areas far removed from the city, the reservoir became a backup system, museum, and occasionally the clean water is pumped out and it becomes a massive public pool during hot summers.

Dessens Tower

The Dessens Tower is an older building dating back to the seventies, as witnessed by its older, blocky, design. Despite this, it was the cities and worlds tallest building for awhile, spanning 150 floors and 800m vertically. Completed in 1975

Fort Martens

Fort Martens is a fortress dating back to the 2nd Urcean Civil War, and the original fort was completed in 1782. The actual fort remained until 1935, where 3/4ths was demolished to make room for commercial structures. In 1969 three commercial buildings were actually completed inside the fort. It remains one of the most unique architectural features in the world.

Perspective Shot

Shot of the city from Urceopolis Municipal Stadium

If you like it, great! If you have some constructive criticism, construct and criticize! If you don't like it, flame away! No, but seriously, adopt a "wait and see" policy if you don't like it. One of my major flaws I realized is that none of this is really innovative architecture with alot of curves and whatnot, but I will tend to that eventually when I have the skill.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 1:57 AM

Urceopolis Municipal Stadium

Urceopolis Municipal Stadium, known as Urceopolis Municipal or UMS is an extremely old baseball stadium from 1930. It has been renovated, re-renovated, and then renovated again over the next hundred or so years. It incorporates parts of the original structure, ramps from the 60s renovation, and grandstands from the 90s. The original 60's bleachers and outfield grandstand portion was demolished by popular demand and replaced with a small grandstand.

Overview

Stadium front shot

3rd base side facade on outside

1st base side facade

A shot from the upper deck

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:31 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Looks great! I can see you have big ambitions! It's good too! I started out the same. This city will look kick ass later on. I've also wanted to do some milehigh cities with futuristic skyscrapers but I stopped for some unknown reason... Anyways, great job and can't wait till everything get more details.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
"New Dubai"
Or new Otihita. Make some of your own textures, specifcly glasses. thell look great. just make a shape in SU, get parellel to it and export a picture.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Looks great! I can see you have big ambitions! It's good too! I started out the same. This city will look kick ass later on. I've also wanted to do some milehigh cities with futuristic skyscrapers but I stopped for some unknown reason... Anyways, great job and can't wait till everything get more details.
Yeah, for some reason I left some building descriptions out. Thanks for the commentary!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 7:21 AM
<:

how long are you using sketchup? when modelling a building, its better to detail it one by one than creating plain white squares, ive seen so much of like these here.

but good effort

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:26 PM

Good start. Did you do the street map yourself as well?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 6:12 PM
FUS RO DAH!

I think you did not correctly redimensioned the textures.

this building is a clear example of it. You only see moire effect. How small are those windows? The building is 3000 floors high?

btw, considering this is supposed to be a city from the future, some of the skyscrapers have some quite dated designs.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
I think you did not correctly redimensioned the textures.

this building is a clear example of it. You only see moire effect. How small are those windows? The building is 3000 floors high?

btw, considering this is supposed to be a city from the future, some of the skyscrapers have some quite dated designs.
What building?

As I said, I'm not too good with modern designs, and, to be perfectly honest, I'm not really the biggest fan of them anyway.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper100 View Post
how long are you using sketchup? when modelling a building, its better to detail it one by one than creating plain white squares, ive seen so much of like these here.

but good effort
Well, as mentioned, I've technically had it for about a year, but I think I probably have about a week's experience.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 8:21 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoExelor View Post
What building?
this one

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
this one
That's not even a building texture. That's just a sheet metal texture that I planned to make look somewhat like the WTC, but that didn't pan out. To be honest with you that was the first building I made and since then (over a year) I haven't put much thought in it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 11:49 AM

I like these designs! I'm not the biggest fan of today's skyscraper architecture, so I like that this city has the feel that it's like the "city of future" as predicted in 1930's, if you know what I mean.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 7:25 PM
Desert Dweller

I see the beggining of a great city, I'm definantly digging the Metropolitan Imperial Tower

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup