HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I don't know about below market rents for these garden apartments, as it looks like they all will get a patio. A patio where you can sip a drink on a summer day and enjoy looking at all the hotties walk by.....
And at the same time be at risk for a burglary ...I guess it all balances out.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:58 PM
you know where I'll be

^ From my perspective it would almost take a exhibitionist type personality to feel comfortable living in one of those ground level units on a heavily trafficked arterial like Ashland. Makes me, and I'd imagine an awful lot of people uncomfortable just thinking about living in a space like that. And those patios - hanging out there would be whatever the polar opposite of relaxing is. I'm sure there are a decent number of people whose brains are wired in such a way to not be put off at all by any of this, but I'm with ardecila on this one - I think it's quite possible the ground floor here might go for something of a discount.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 5:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
What the...

What is with putting at grade doors and patios on a busy four-lane road? This is like that ugly AF building at Ashland/Madison.
Agreed. I'd rather see a nice ivy covered wall than these ridiculous patio doors and the inevitable broken plastic chairs, fisher price toys and garbage bins.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 9:57 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ From my perspective it would almost take a exhibitionist type personality to feel comfortable living in one of those ground level units on a heavily trafficked arterial like Ashland. Makes me, and I'd imagine an awful lot of people uncomfortable just thinking about living in a space like that. And those patios - hanging out there would be whatever the polar opposite of relaxing is. I'm sure there are a decent number of people whose brains are wired in such a way to not be put off at all by any of this, but I'm with ardecila on this one - I think it's quite possible the ground floor here might go for something of a discount.
I'm in agreement. I prefer privacy when it comes to my outdoor spaces. I can tolerate things like having a neighbor's balcony immediately adjacent to mine, but to be in full view of cars/pedestrians is an immediate deal killer for me.

That said, some people don't mind this sort of thing...

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
is there literally anyone in the country renovating homes that isnt spitting out this exact same sausage grinder result? is this really the "look" every single person buying a home badly wants (considering theyre paying over ask)? its so beyond played out.
Well I would show you the craftsman I just restored to its full 1908 glory for my wife, son, and I, but I don't feel like getting called a bougious pig right now...

Also I can tell you all that the excuses for today's shoddy workmanship are just that. All it takes is involved owners who understand the trades and you can easily replicate or even exceed historical attention to detail at prices that aren't even that much higher than doing the flipper crap you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ A fully rehabbed old property (when done correctly) doesn't just get $20k of updates, I mean it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars with lots of pain and lots of sweat.

But some people are too obtuse to realize that, they're just mad that somebody is making money from their hard work (it's EVIL--it's not honest work like sitting in front of a computer all day)
I easily spend $100k a unit on my guts. If you are actually rebuilding a property, you aren't going to get it done for less than $50-60k/unit and that's if you cut as many corners as possible and use shit materials.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 3:20 PM

3460 North Broadway - Optima Lakeview

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 4:53 PM

Tribune Tower

May 12

Lighting ? I hope not signage - unless it is the old Tribune logo.

Nice detail - appears to be real stone.

This wall could use some whales.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 5:03 PM

Nice shots Harry. I think the signage is for the old Tribune logo. I think I remember reading somewhere it would remain after the rennovation. FWIW, I also found this article with a couple of renderings showing the logo back in place.

https://preservationchicago.org/news...plan-unveiled/

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 5:17 PM

LSD Flyover - bikeway

May 12

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 7:08 PM

Steppenwolf expansion

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 3:47 AM

I took a Metra train, I'm guessing 7 or 8 years ago, and passed by the new Google office in the West Loop. I thought at the time they chose some far out place in the middle of nothing empty lots and old empty buildings. Today while biking I ran across that Google office. How times have changed for the West Loop.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 12:23 PM
The City

^ Yep.

I was part of a healthcare startup in 2014-2015 (which flopped, of course--otherwise I'd be a billionaire) and we actually attended a 2 week long incubator called Healthbox in 2015, located within the Google building.

When I arrived in the mornings the streets were still kind of rugged, and delivery trucks and forklifts were coming and going on all over the place. Free street parking was abundantly available as well.

I"m pretty sure that almost all of that is gone now. Pretty rapid change

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:26 PM

I was a block from Google last night for dinner*, and I couldn't believe how much it's changed even in the last year. A lot of buildings finished up during COVID.

*Rose Mary was incredible; everyone should go.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

renderings revealed for a new development in Lincoln Square for the large surface parking lot 1/2 block north of the Western brown line stop.

source: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/05/ren...ln-square.html

full article: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/05/ren...ln-square.html

5 stories
51 total units
5,000 SF ground floor retail
9 parking space for residents
41 public spaces

i'm obviously not crazy about the 41 public spaces accessed via a curb cut directly on western, but some of the retailers over on lincoln have been screaming bloody murder about the loss of public parking spaces in the existing surface lot, so if this is the compromise that can finally get this eye-sore lot developed, i can live with that.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 17, 2021 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:35 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Steppenwolf expansion

The design is unique - I like it overall, but wish it was more unified..however, I like the different textures and colors of the building.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:35 PM
you know where I'll be

I'm really liking that Steppenwolf expansion. Can't wait to check out the interior when it opens.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 6:01 PM

5011? N Clark St

I caught it out of the corner of my eye while biking, stopped in my tracks and snapped a quick pic. New construction that doesn't look like complete shit??? I know the target demographic is more design conscious but still.

No cheap metal panels or weird color blocking in sight. I'm assuming the ground floor is still going to get some treatment and not remain plain concrete.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
I caught it out of the corner of my eye while biking, stopped in my tracks and snapped a quick pic. New construction that doesn't look like complete shit??? I know the target demographic is more design conscious but still.

[snip]

No cheap metal panels or weird color blocking in sight. I'm assuming the ground floor is still going to get some treatment and not remain plain concrete.
It's OK. Northworks has done better, but this isn't single-family so there's no singular ownership driving the look. RIP Man's Country...

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
ChicagoYimby actually misread the listing text. It said the interior condition of the two story convent next door and on the same site is in poor condition and could be demolished to provide parking for the school building. There was nothing I saw that suggested the building in question was not viable for reuse.

What's unfortunate is that between convent and school, the site is currently built out to almost twice it's lot area, but current zoning only allows for 1.2 FAR, so whatever we get will be much less dense in addition to losing a historic facade. If we are lucky, we will get a 3 story 17,000 sf apartment building with parking in the rear, but we could also end up with 3 two flats or 3 single family homes with that zoning.
Ah, I see what you're saying, we misread. We have removed that sentence in the article and will keep tabs on any new plans:

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/04/dem...-lawndale.html

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:29 PM

New METRA North Side viaduct and station work. Looks like this is progressing -

q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development