HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotack View Post
No...they actually mean that the world is going to end. Even if they don't believe their own BS. They do it to get attention for themselves, push the government into funding fringe causes and to scare people. In the case of the Young (autistic) Sweed, she trumpets what she is told.
Either way, even if some of the "climate change is real" rhetoric is overblown, it doesn't diminish the severity of the crisis. Climate change is a thing, and we are currently not on track to avoid the worst of it. Changes must be made, and they will be made whether CAPP, Jason Kenney and Alberta likes it or not. Alberta is irrelevant to the world and the rest of the world should not, and will not give a shit about our economy when they choose not to buy our oil.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Either way, even if some of the "climate change is real" rhetoric is overblown, it doesn't diminish the severity of the crisis. Climate change is a thing, and we are currently not on track to avoid the worst of it. Changes must be made, and they will be made whether CAPP, Jason Kenney and Alberta likes it or not. Alberta is irrelevant to the world and the rest of the world should not, and will not give a shit about our economy when they choose not to buy our oil.
This cartoon never seems to get old:

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:07 PM

Shell Carbon Offset

So Justin’s carbon tax adds 6 cents to the price of a litre of gasoline but we are told this is insufficient to reduce Canada’s GHG emissions and the tax must increase. Now Shell comes along and says for 2 cents a litre you can offset your carbon emissions of your tank of gasoline. So if I pay Shell the 2 cents can I get my 6 cents back from Justin? Love the “green” new math!

Shell gives customers option to offset their carbon emissions for two cents per litre

CALGARY -- Shell Canada is letting carbon-conscious customers get their two cents in for the environment while filling up at one of its 1,400 stations across Canada.

When customers opt-in via the app, Shell says it calculates the amount of carbon emissions that will be produced by the fuel they purchase and buys the equivalent in carbon credits to offset the emissions. It said it is sourcing carbon credits from the Darkwoods Forest Carbon Project, an initiative of the Nature Conservancy of Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/shel...itre-1.5185711

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:16 PM

Quote:
No...they actually mean that the world is going to end. Even if they don't believe their own BS. They do it to get attention for themselves, push the government into funding fringe causes and to scare people. In the case of the Young (autistic) Sweed, she trumpets what she is told.
The Swede's message has been "listen to the scientists". It's very telling when people find that message offensive or hyperbole.

Even more telling when you have to cite her autism to attack her message. That says more about you than her.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Even more telling when you have to cite her autism to attack her message. That says more about you than her.
Although it should be noted that her autism was first brought to light by her parents and her supporters when they were describing her epiphany and dedication to the environmental movement. Regardless of their intentions, these people were exploiting her disability to make her appear even more virtuous and pure. She became unassailable due to her disability and thus a nuclear weapon for the climate change zealots. In essence, the activists have been brazenly exploiting her for their own purposes. Shame on them.

I accept anthropogenic climate change as a scientific fact, although I believe that there is some debate still about just how acute the crisis is, and how close we are to any tipping point. I tend to lean towards the need for urgent action, but avoid the concept of climatological catastrophism. Regardless, it is high time for Alberta to come to it's senses over the future of the oil and gas industry. The world is changing and Alberta has to get used to this. There is maybe another 15-20 years left for the oil industry in Alberta. The provincial leadership should be more concerned about exploring other options for the economy rather than building new pipelines.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
So Justin’s carbon tax adds 6 cents to the price of a litre of gasoline but we are told this is insufficient to reduce Canada’s GHG emissions and the tax must increase. Now Shell comes along and says for 2 cents a litre you can offset your carbon emissions of your tank of gasoline. So if I pay Shell the 2 cents can I get my 6 cents back from Justin? Love the “green” new math!

Shell gives customers option to offset their carbon emissions for two cents per litre

CALGARY -- Shell Canada is letting carbon-conscious customers get their two cents in for the environment while filling up at one of its 1,400 stations across Canada.

When customers opt-in via the app, Shell says it calculates the amount of carbon emissions that will be produced by the fuel they purchase and buys the equivalent in carbon credits to offset the emissions. It said it is sourcing carbon credits from the Darkwoods Forest Carbon Project, an initiative of the Nature Conservancy of Canada.

"Green" is in quotations primarily because you deny ACC. I put zero stock into anything that you post related to climate change.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post

Don't buy gas at Shell then I guess?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Don't buy gas at Shell then I guess?
Better yet, get a Tesla already and you won't need gas from Shell nor anyone else

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:18 PM

Quote:
The Swede's message has been "listen to the scientists". It's very telling when people find that message offensive or hyperbole.

Yeah it says she has Autism and you want the narrative to be true so badly you are willing to over look someone who is clearly being used by those around her as a pawn in the global effort to redistribute wealth. Says EVERYTHING about you young man.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
someone who is clearly being used by those around her as a pawn in the global effort to redistribute wealth
Conspiracy theory alert!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
clearly being used by those around her as a pawn in the global effort to redistribute wealth. Says EVERYTHING about you young man.
I didn't realize we had a Billionaire in our ranks. Welcome good sir!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah it says she has Autism and you want the narrative to be true so badly you are willing to over look someone who is clearly being used by those around her as a pawn in the global effort to redistribute wealth.
What next? Are you going to tell me George Soros is hiding in the closet?

Quote:
Says EVERYTHING about you young man.
Okay Boomer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Better yet, get a Tesla already and you won't need gas from Shell nor anyone else
Wish I could, unfortunately the cost for the technology exceeds what I can afford. The cheapest second hand Tesla is $48k in Calgary, the next cheapest is $78k.

The cheapest EV is a $38k Chevy bolt.

Prices still need come down.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Wish I could, unfortunately the cost for the technology exceeds what I can afford. The cheapest second hand Tesla is $48k in Calgary, the next cheapest is $78k.

The $25k for 200 miles threshold for the average EV is forecast around 2025. Tesla will probably be 2-3 years ahead of schedule on that. But that's US$. So looking at CA$30-35k for 300-350km of range. I think the average EV with 500-600 km of range for under CA$30k is probably 7-8 years away.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post

In Vancouver it’s hard to even find a decent used hybrid.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Conspiracy theory alert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I didn't realize we had a Billionaire in our ranks. Welcome good sir!
Quote:
What next? Are you going to tell me George Soros is hiding in the closet?

Okay Boomer.
It warmed the cockles of my heart to see a pile on of the forum's newest flat earther. Keep it up!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Yeah it says she has Autism and you want the narrative to be true so badly you are willing to over look someone who is clearly being used by those around her as a pawn in the global effort to redistribute wealth. Says EVERYTHING about you young man.
You want that narrative to be false so badly that you do everything to discredit her. Perhaps you are a pawn in the global effort to redistribute pollution?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Regardless, it is high time for Alberta to come to it's senses over the future of the oil and gas industry. The world is changing and Alberta has to get used to this. There is maybe another 15-20 years left for the oil industry in Alberta. The provincial leadership should be more concerned about exploring other options for the economy rather than building new pipelines.
Bingo!

At this point, it doesn't matter whether you actually believe that climate change is real or oil is on it's way out............that train has long since left the station. Wanting and knowing are 2 very different things. Yes, Canadians outside of AB & SK do get pissed off with the lousy environmental reputation we have due to these provinces. The reality is that outside these provinces, Canada's emissions are very much in line with a lot of Europe. That said, no Canadians are insensitive to the rough patch Alberta is going thru and no one is rejoicing at the hardship it is causing.

The reason why people are often infuriated at Alberta's continued belief in how oil will bounce back and the boom times return is NOT because we don't care about Albertans but rather quite the opposite.......we do care. We are genuinely concerned about the province, her future, and Albertans themselves. We all want a more prosperous Alberta which is good for both Albertans and Canadians in general. That said, we know this requires Alberta to make a profound change on what the economy must look like to maintain her prosperity and most of that will be on the development of a hydrogen based economy. Our concern is that Kenny, and frankly many Albertans themselves, don't acknowledge this.

Unlike everyone else, Albertans can't seem to see the writing on the wall and seem bound and determined to sacrifice her future in some unfounded belief that oil will continue to be her panacea and is the answer to all that ails her. The reality is increasingly becoming the opposite, oil is not the answer to her current ails but rather the cause of it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 9:41 PM

Alberta set to retire coal power by 2023, ahead of 2030 provincial deadline

https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/20...023-ahead-of-/

Quote:
Alberta is set to meet its goal to eliminate coal-fired electricity production years earlier than its 2030 target, thanks to recently announced utility conversion projects.

Capital Power Corp.'s plan to spend nearly $1 billion to switch two coal-fired power units west of Edmonton to natural gas, and stop using coal entirely by 2023, was welcomed by both the province and the Pembina Institute environmental think-tank.

In 2014, 55 per cent of Alberta's electricity was produced from 18 coal-fired generators. The Alberta government announced in 2015 it would eliminate emissions from coal power generation by 2030.

Dale Nally, associate minister of Natural Gas and Electricity, said Friday that decisions by Capital Power and other utilities to abandon coal will be good for the environment and demonstrates investor confidence in Alberta's deregulated electricity market.

He credited the government's Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction (TIER) regulations, which put a price on industrial greenhouse gas emissions, as a key factor in motivating the conversions.

“Capital Power's transition to gas is a great example of how private industry is responding effectively to TIER, as it transitions these facilities to become carbon capture and hydrogen ready, which will drive future emissions reductions,'' Nally said in an email.

Capital Power said direct carbon dioxide emissions at its Genesee power facility near Edmonton will be about 3.4 million tonnes per year lower than 2019 emission levels when the project is complete.

It says the natural gas combined cycle units it's installing will be the most efficient in Canada, adding they will be capable of running on 30 per cent hydrogen initially, with the option to run on 95 per cent hydrogen in future with minor investments.

In November, Calgary-based TransAlta Corp. said it will end operations at its Highvale thermal coal mine west of Edmonton by the end of 2021 as it switches to natural gas at all of its operated coal-fired plants in Canada four years earlier than previously planned.

The moves by the two utilities and rival Atco Ltd., which announced three years ago it would convert to gas at all of its plants by this year, mean significant emissions reduction and better health for Albertans, said Binnu Jeyakumar, director of clean energy for Pembina.

“Alberta's early coal phaseout is also a great lesson in good policy-making done in collaboration with industry and civil society,'' she said.

“As we continue with this transformation of our electricity sector, it is paramount that efforts to support impacted workers and communities are undertaken.''

She added the growing cost-competitiveness of renewable energy makes coal plant retirements possible, applauding Capital Power's plans to increase its investments in solar power.

The company announced it would go ahead with its 75-megawatt Enchant Solar power project in southern Alberta, investing between $90 million and $100 million, and that it has signed a 25-year power purchase agreement with a Canadian company for its 40.5-MW Strathmore Solar project now under construction east of Calgary.

Capital power's fuel source switch at the Genesee units will give it more ``defensive'' assets in the Alberta power market, said analyst Nate Heywood of ATB Capital Markets in a note. He added he's concerned the capital outlay could potentially slow its growth in pure play renewables.

The company's shares rose by as much as $2.09 or 6.2 per cent to $35.80 in trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Friday before closing at $35.44.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 10:09 PM

So the Associate Minister is saying that putting a price on emissions compelled the switch to lower emitting natural gas?

Why is his government in court trying to fight a national policy on pricing emissions?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada