Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Why hello there

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Don't worry, a few more rounds of VE and Related will get it there!
Unfortunately I was thinking the same thing! I would be surprised if the angled windows on the tower made it to construction as rendered. That would be a noticeable premium to traditional window wall.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:02 PM

does that purport to be exposed steel?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
does that purport to be exposed steel?
When in doubt, just assume it'll be cladding of some sort. I'd be surprised they use much steel in a residential tower. Would be interesting if they did though

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:10 AM

It's cladding for sure. I wish it still had that bronzed look from the original renderings but it'll still look good and bold in black. As long as they don't VE the randomized angled thinner windows going up the tower (which the current renderings have) I don't see anything to complain about.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
It's cladding for sure. I wish it still had that bronzed look from the original renderings but it'll still look good and bold in black. As long as they don't VE the randomized angled thinner windows going up the tower (which the current renderings have) I don't see anything to complain about.
My thoughts exactly

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:33 PM

I was comparing this against the rendering from July, which shows the east rather than the north side and I see next no design changes. Maybe the color is different, but that could just be the rendering as well (which the rendering itself doesn't seem to be as skillfully done). I don't see any evidence for a continued decline in design quality.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 6:03 PM

^ Exactly what I was seeing, thanks for pulling that image up Ned.B. This tower's design is basically set in stone, since we are very close to them putting shovels in the dirt, are we not?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 7:49 PM

I don't see anything new in that rendering either. But, we have already seen a pretty notable simplification from the first renderings. Also, you don't have to go more than a few blocks south of here to see how much a design can change from early stage marketing materials…

I realize early 2019 was Related's plan, but has there been any whispers about financing?

There are likely a number of details not really set in stone

Last edited by jc5680; Jan 8, 2019 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
I don't see anything new in that rendering either. But, we have already seen a pretty notable simplification from the first renderings.
Yes, the proportions of the windows changed from almost perfectly square to an elongated rectangle. I'm sure this reduced the quantity of window units and flashings to install but looks way more average. The square design reminded me of 55 Hudson Yards, you don't see those proportions on highrises very often.

Plus, the window units themselves have gotten simplified from an elegant faceted panel with some serious depth, down to a pretty standard window-wall or storefront system, maybe with one panel set on a 15-degree angle (hard to tell).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes, the proportions of the windows changed from almost perfectly square to an elongated rectangle. I'm sure this reduced the quantity of window units and flashings to install but looks way more average. The square design reminded me of 55 Hudson Yards, you don't see those proportions on highrises very often.

Plus, the window units themselves have gotten simplified from an elegant faceted panel with some serious depth, down to a pretty standard window-wall or storefront system, maybe with one panel set on a 15-degree angle (hard to tell).
It's pretty clear that the angled window pane is still in there

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 7:28 PM

I was across the street today at my friends condo and was looking at the site. I hope "early 2019" at least means by the end of this quarter. I would love for this and OCS to break ground in the same week

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 7:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTx2Chi View Post
I was across the street today at my friends condo and was looking at the site. I hope "early 2019" at least means by the end of this quarter. I would love for this and OCS to break ground in the same week

Thread bump got my hopes up...........and nothing to show for it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:55 PM

Does anyone have an update on the tower that was approved for Randolph just west of the Kennedy?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:52 PM

725 w Randolph?

no updates as far as I know. Looking forward to some height right there if they every figure it out

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:30 PM
TL;DR

^ With Related wrapping up One Bennett Park, I'm sure they're doing their damnedest to get the next one started.

I think the only thing they've got U/C in Chicago right now is Lathrop Homes. Wells-Wentworth is U/C on the 78 site, but that's a city project so not really under Related's umbrella.

Meanwhile, they've got quite a few proposals. I'd imagine this one is most likely to start, since the land is cleared and the zoning is in place. It's heavily based around the Equinox brand, though, so I'm sure the latest political kerfuffle isn't helping.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:31 PM

It certainly feels like they are dragging their feet here considering this was proposed the same day One Chicago was in Oct 2017. Compare the status of both towers...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
It certainly feels like they are dragging their feet here considering this was proposed the same day One Chicago was in Oct 2017. Compare the status of both towers...
That's not how highrise development works...

Next time I talk to my friend who works for Equinox I'll get an update. They are still wrapping up their first club here in Chicago at Lincoln Commons so that probably has more to do with it than anything else...

These health clubs they build are insane, sitting on a totally isolated floor slab. Ardceila can probably tell you more about than I can though.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
That's not how highrise development works...

Next time I talk to my friend who works for Equinox I'll get an update. They are still wrapping up their first club here in Chicago at Lincoln Commons so that probably has more to do with it than anything else...

These health clubs they build are insane, sitting on a totally isolated floor slab. Ardceila can probably tell you more about than I can though.
Equinox actually has a few locations already in Chicago--near Washington/Wells stop, one just north of the North/Clark intersection, I think a newer one the Mag Mile and somewhere in Winnetka or Glencoe. I've been in on guest passes a few times, and they are very very nice--I suppose if I had the money I'd join but decided the $160 a month for a gym membership was just not worth it for the nice face lotion they have in the locker rooms, ha.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:25 PM

Heard some whispers of Related trying to secure funding sources related to affordable housing. This means that Related is trying to get some of their mandated affordable units (from this and other nearby developments) at this site... I wouldn't expect to hear anymore until probably Quarter 4 of 2019 at the earliest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals