HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:43 PM
HVAC guru

Another several hour long shutdown of the TCH due to a major accident at Three Valley Gap

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/ne...icle-accident/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 7:55 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Yup. Costing the economy millions of dollars every year, but our governments cannot seem to get their heads around this and find the money to improve things.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...n-up-1.4944417

Question: On the right, it says "must carry tire chain". Does that mean both winter tires and chains are mandatory? (Or am I just reading too much into it?)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:44 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...n-up-1.4944417

Question: On the right, it says "must carry tire chain". Does that mean both winter tires and chains are mandatory? (Or am I just reading too much into it?)
Just chains. It’s for large commercial vehicles

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 1:26 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Are winter tires redundant if chains are on?? I'm curious because I've never chained my vehicle (because in Ontario it's only permitted in the north).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:52 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Yup. Costing the economy millions of dollars every year, but our governments cannot seem to get their heads around this and find the money to improve things.
No kidding - what an absolute joke.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:03 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Are winter tires redundant if chains are on?? I'm curious because I've never chained my vehicle (because in Ontario it's only permitted in the north).
Large commercial vehicles don’t run winter tires. They’re required to carry chains so that they can navigate roads in winter conditions. Generally there are signals at key points such as the start of the Coquihalla that tell drivers when they need to chain up.

Passenger vehicles should really never require chains if they’re running good tires. There are exceptions in the mountainous regions in BC. When I lived in Nelson in the winter you’d see the police cars and ambulances running cable chains when it snowed

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
What is it with BC bridges and having an odd number of lanes?
I hear you, but 1 lane is for local traffic from the west side. The 5 lane option was better than the one 4 lane option that involved a left turn onto the highway... https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dr...maryreport.pdf

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:07 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ Thanks for posting that info Glacier, it explains why the 5-lane design is better.

Any update on timing? Is it under detailed design now? Has funding been secured? Will it be under construction in 2020?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:21 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I would rather construction doesn't start until NDP gets booted. The construction cost should be lower then.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://globalnews.ca/news/4900834/b...minister-says/

“We’re reviewing the project to widen HWY 1 between Langley and Abby” they said.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:20 AM

It is obvious in this situation that the NDP are caught between a rock and a hard place.

The 3rd lane expansion is needed without a doubt, but the NDP don’t wan’t to appear pro highway expansion (look at Pattullo opening with 4 lanes, and the GMB fiasco).

But then on the flip side any “alternative” solution for Abbotsford would require a major commitment (such as rail) that they are not willing to fund / seriously propose. This would be far more expensive than simply adding the third lane.

I honestly have no idea what they will do about it. Swallow the pill and continue with the project, delay it until the Liberals are in power again, or (worse of all) make a shitty bus system that runs alongside the highway shoulders... (I really hope they don’t do such a Mickey Mouse option). A real bus system would require entirely new lanes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:28 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Buses on the shoulder during rush hour as an interim solution? It's not necessarily a bad option. That's what Kitchener (and Cambridge) in Ontario have.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:32 AM

But it won’t be interim, look at the 99, been that for years, and now if they do replace the GMT they may keep that “temporary” solution instead of taking the opportunity to build a real bus system.

Remember, this is the place where counter flow systems last 30+ years and loved odd lane bridges.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:39 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Heh, what can you do when bridges need to be very high in order for big vessels to go through and there's no federal funding (*cough cough* Pont Champlain)...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:21 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was looking at the most recent (June 2018) google streetview of TCH East between Pritchard and Chase, and horrified to see that there is absolutely no passing opportunity in between.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:22 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It is obvious in this situation that the NDP are caught between a rock and a hard place.

The 3rd lane expansion is needed without a doubt, but the NDP don’t wan’t to appear pro highway expansion (look at Pattullo opening with 4 lanes, and the GMB fiasco).

But then on the flip side any “alternative” solution for Abbotsford would require a major commitment (such as rail) that they are not willing to fund / seriously propose. This would be far more expensive than simply adding the third lane.

I honestly have no idea what they will do about it. Swallow the pill and continue with the project, delay it until the Liberals are in power again, or (worse of all) make a shitty bus system that runs alongside the highway shoulders... (I really hope they don’t do such a Mickey Mouse option). A real bus system would require entirely new lanes.
They are absolutely NOT caught between a rock and a hard place whatsoever. Any time a decision becomes politicized then it is being made for the wrong reasons. This project is either needed economically or it is not. If it is needed then build it, if it is not then don't. Doesn't matter who is in Government or what their philosophy is.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

"Any time a decision becomes politicized then it is being made for the wrong reasons."

That has already happened though. For instance, the project to widen TCH between Pritchard and Chase has been delayed to this year (when it was supposed to begin last year). From what I saw on the most recent google street view, the widening is badly needed.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 10:04 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
"Any time a decision becomes politicized then it is being made for the wrong reasons."

That has already happened though. For instance, the project to widen TCH between Pritchard and Chase has been delayed to this year (when it was supposed to begin last year). From what I saw on the most recent google street view, the widening is badly needed.
Oh I realize that, and it happens everywhere (not just BC). And is pi$$es me off because there is no reason for it, politicians are putting themselves ahead of the population when they do this.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 7:35 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Buses on the shoulder during rush hour as an interim solution? It's not necessarily a bad option. That's what Kitchener (and Cambridge) in Ontario have.
Doesn’t the shoulder turn into a de facto third lane during peak congestion anyways ? It’s been a while since I drove from the valley into Vancouver but I seem to remember drivers peeling down the shoulder when the TCH is all backed up

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia