HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:57 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
This is something like Dave and Busters.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:30 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I hope there's a reasonable admission fee...I could see this degenerating quickly. Maybe a $20 admission fee. Not what they've done elsewhere, though: http://www.round1usa.com/location/lakewood-center-mall/
Movie theaters and arcades in close proxity, perfect. What could go wrong?

I have fond memories of the Chestnut St Easter Riot of 1985:

On this day in Philly in....1985 | Philly.com

Tuesday, Apr 09, 1985 CITY EYES CHANGES ON CHESTNUT ST.
By CAROLYN ACKER and STEVEN A. MARQUEZ, Daily News Staff Writers (Staff writers Gene Seymour, Leon Taylor, David Holmberg, Edward Moran and Kevin Haney contributed to this report.)

The business hours of movie theaters and arcades on the Chestnut Street Transitway might have to be regulated to prevent another incident like the Easter Sunday outbreak of looting and vandalism, Mayor Goode said yesterday.

Goode said at a press conference that he would meet with Chestnut Street and city business leaders today to discuss "what kind of standards we can establish on the arcades as well as the movie theaters themselves."

"I think if we're going to have a sound retail district, that we cannot continue to have three theaters and two arcades within that two-block area," Goode said of Chestnut Street between 15th and 17th, where most of Sunday's looting occurred. "We'll continue to have problems if we have that. "
There were numerous theories about what caused the Easter melee, which lasted about two hours and involved as many as 5,000 teen-agers and young adults.

[snip]

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Movie theaters and arcades in close proxity, perfect. What could go wrong?

I have fond memories of the Chestnut St Easter Riot of 1985:

On this day in Philly in....1985 | Philly.com

Tuesday, Apr 09, 1985 CITY EYES CHANGES ON CHESTNUT ST.
By CAROLYN ACKER and STEVEN A. MARQUEZ, Daily News Staff Writers (Staff writers Gene Seymour, Leon Taylor, David Holmberg, Edward Moran and Kevin Haney contributed to this report.)

The business hours of movie theaters and arcades on the Chestnut Street Transitway might have to be regulated to prevent another incident like the Easter Sunday outbreak of looting and vandalism, Mayor Goode said yesterday.

Goode said at a press conference that he would meet with Chestnut Street and city business leaders today to discuss "what kind of standards we can establish on the arcades as well as the movie theaters themselves."

"I think if we're going to have a sound retail district, that we cannot continue to have three theaters and two arcades within that two-block area," Goode said of Chestnut Street between 15th and 17th, where most of Sunday's looting occurred. "We'll continue to have problems if we have that. "
There were numerous theories about what caused the Easter melee, which lasted about two hours and involved as many as 5,000 teen-agers and young adults.

[snip]
I'm telling you, admissions fee...it could go towards the first activity. But you should not be able to get in for free. If that prices some people out, well sorry. We've seen what happens otherwise too many times. People will otherwise loiter without playing the games and get into the trouble with nothing active to do. It does, at least, look like you must be over 18 after 10:00 p.m. and over 21 after 12:00 a.m. at most of their locations. That could help the weekend crowds and minimize incidents.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:08 AM

Yes! I love Round1! I currently drive an hour each way to go to the one in Exton all the time (which I think is a terrible location). I hope it manages to stay OK. They might have to reduce the hours that minors can be present without adults.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
I hope there's a reasonable admission fee...I could see this degenerating quickly. Maybe a $20 admission fee. Not what they've done elsewhere, though: http://www.round1usa.com/location/lakewood-center-mall/
what does that mean exactly? This is in CC- not Exton so the demographics of who might patronize it won't likely look like Exton. Is that a bad thing? If you have money, I'm sure they will take it from you regardless of what you look like or what neighborhood you came from.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
what does that mean exactly? This is in CC- not Exton so the demographics of who might patronize it won't likely look like Exton. Is that a bad thing? If you have money, I'm sure they will take it from you regardless of what you look like or what neighborhood you came from.
I think he's referring to the after school teen crowd who do occasionally get into fights and do other stupid, criminal stuff. This is a complicated issue that has some race based undertones among some mostly white center city folk (definitely not saying jsbrook specifically), but there is no doubt that these kids can be a problem for some Center City businesses in that 3-5 pm hour. There is the whole other question of who the Gallery was for before being closed (largely minorities) and who it will be for afterwards (perceived by some to be a boogie white audience).

Jesus Christ though, 5,000 teenagers rioting in Center City in 1985. If anyone says things are going to shit these days or that teenagers are more reckless now, this is the obvious counter evidence.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
I'm telling you, admissions fee...it could go towards the first activity. But you should not be able to get in for free. If that prices some people out, well sorry. We've seen what happens otherwise too many times. People will otherwise loiter without playing the games and get into the trouble with nothing active to do. It does, at least, look like you must be over 18 after 10:00 p.m. and over 21 after 12:00 a.m. at most of their locations. That could help the weekend crowds and minimize incidents.
"Four adults and 10 juveniles were arrested, police said, and a police officer and four juveniles were treated for minor injuries."

34 years ago. This is terrifying! Measures must be taken to keep the wrong people away from here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
"Four adults and 10 juveniles were arrested, police said, and a police officer and four juveniles were treated for minor injuries."

34 years ago. This is terrifying! Measures must be taken to keep the wrong people away from here.
LOL. /Endthread

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
LOL. /Endthread
haha. He was being facetious.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

And plenty of years thereafter most every year. Maybe you are forgetting the many Chestnut Street flash mobs over the last 6 years. I did plenty of dumb stuff as a kid and got in fights too (not attacking innocent bystanders or looting, though). There's just another dimension for city kids when it's in the street or public spaces and not your buddy's backyard in the suburbs. That needs to be acknowledged and addressed intelligently. But let's move on.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:18 PM

Nothing terribly new, but just further evidence that the Penn's Landing cap is closer to becoming a reality.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Some key bits:

Quote:
“Penn’s Landing has leapfrogged and is ahead of schedule,” said Joseph A. Forkin, president of the organization.

The price tag has been greatly reduced to an estimate that is more inline with DRWC had initially projected. The cap will cost $225 million and is in a design process led by PennDOT. Final design is expected be completed this year and that will detail the scope and engineering of the structure. Within that budget is funding for creating a park along Columbus Boulevard to the river that will include trails and a pedestrian bridge.

DRWC has issued a request for qualifications for a firm to oversee and coordinate community engagement. The goal is to find out what residents envision for the public space that will be created by the cap and how it might get used whether its a combination of ice rink, playground, dog park and other permanent and seasonal attractions. The organization wants to award the contract by the end of the month.

Also, DRWC will be exploring potential opportunities for the private development of 10 acres involving sites it owns, including a parking lot on Lombard Street, its operations building at 301 S. Columbus Blvd., and where its Market Street parking lot and Blue Cross RiverRink are located.

If all goes according to plan, the construction of the cap is expected to begin in 2021 and take three years to complete.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Nothing terribly new, but just further evidence that the Penn's Landing cap is closer to becoming a reality.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Some key bits:
Glad to hear it's ahead of schedule! But that render looks SERIOUSLY downgraded in design from prior renders...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear it's ahead of schedule! But that render looks SERIOUSLY downgraded in design from prior renders...
That's actually an older rendering from Kieran Timberlake's original Delaware Waterfront Master Plan.... I don't think we've seen the final design yet.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:10 PM
Future World Dictator

As happy as I am to see I-95 capped there, oh how I wish they could have capped I-95 another block south to Dock Street, and in my perfect world up to Market Street as well. I wouldn't say it's necessary to cap over Columbus Boulevard too as long as they did something good with the space where those scissor ramps used to be (speaking of, what exactly is going there?), but alas.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
That's actually an older rendering from Kieran Timberlake's original Delaware Waterfront Master Plan.... I don't think we've seen the final design yet.
That's a relief!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
As happy as I am to see I-95 capped there, oh how I wish they could have capped I-95 another block south to Dock Street, and in my perfect world up to Market Street as well. I wouldn't say it's necessary to cap over Columbus Boulevard too as long as they did something good with the space where those scissor ramps used to be (speaking of, what exactly is going there?), but alas.
The scissor ramps have been cleared out to make room for private development and the site is being marketed. I, too, would have loved to see I-95 capped to Dock (which is easier from an engineering perspective than Market). Perhaps one day...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:09 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The amount of new (some are pretty high end) homes on Front Street between Walnut and Market are pretty amazing. I would say up to 150 new townhomes/condos in the last 3-5 years. This park makes sense for all these people living here, plus at least two high-rises being proposed. And, any further development adjacent to the park (i.e., the parking lots adjacent to the scissor ramps) will benefit from it. Hopefully, this triggers a domino effect on developments in the coming years.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
That section actually has similar issues as the Market Street. The bridge at Walnut street goes over Delaware Ave, whereas Dock street is at grade. You can't cap fully over Delaware Ave because of the Sheraton on the other side of the street. So you'd have to somehow cap over just 95, while connecting the north end with the bridge on Walnut, and slope it down in both a south and east direction to be level with Dock street and Delaware ave.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
If I had my way, I-95 would either run under Columbus Boulevard until north of the Girard Avenue exit, or it would be removed from PA completely (my preferred option). If the power was in my hands, the Jersey Turnpike would be resigned as I-95 in its entirety. The southern portion of the former I-95 (from the Delaware Memorial Bridge interchange to the Broad Street exit) would be resigned as I-495, which would funnel onto Columbus Boulevard/Delaware Avenue. The northern portion (the PA/NJ border down to Girard Avenue exit) would be resigned as I-295 and form a half-loop around the city. This would enable I-95 to be removed in both Philadelphia and Wilmington, giving Philly back its access to the Delaware River and Wilmington access to its northern/western neighborhoods.

I have an entire vision for highways in the Philadelphia area (specifically the city), which would likely lead to a reduction of highway miles in the region.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I think he's referring to the after school teen crowd who do occasionally get into fights and do other stupid, criminal stuff. This is a complicated issue that has some race based undertones among some mostly white center city folk (definitely not saying jsbrook specifically), but there is no doubt that these kids can be a problem for some Center City businesses in that 3-5 pm hour. There is the whole other question of who the Gallery was for before being closed (largely minorities) and who it will be for afterwards (perceived by some to be a boogie white audience).

Jesus Christ though, 5,000 teenagers rioting in Center City in 1985. If anyone says things are going to shit these days or that teenagers are more reckless now, this is the obvious counter evidence.
Im sure we can trust the FDP to have cameras and security everywhere. And somehow I don't think a high priced arcade is the likely place to gather for a melee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development