Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post

She knows what she's doing!
OMG wait a second

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, Covid finally found its way into my house... my wife got it (I'm assuming) at a conference she attended in Ontario last week.

She is quarantining in the master bedroom while I am managing the kids and getting ready to take them to a hockey tournament in Saskatchewan this weekend. If this doesn't earn me Dad of the Year then I don't know what will, this act of selfless martyrdom

The symptoms seem to be consistent with a bad cold or what we might call "flu"... chills, sweats, fatigue. Not a ton of coughing/hacking.

So far the kids and I have continued to dodge it, at least to our knowledge.
My wife somehow caught it and brought it home. I was Hero Dad for 4 days, before succumbing to covid myself. Then the kids got it.

the coughing/hacking became worse a week or so after testing negative. I am still coughing, two weeks later.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -President Lyndon B. Johnson

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I don't understand why I haven't caught it yet. My partner had it and I lived in the same house while he was positive for 8 days. I've been to the gym daily all year, dozens of restaurants, stores. Been to social events, family get togethers. Nothing. My last vaccine was in December. I'm assuming I've just been lucky? It's gotta be coming for me soon.
I'm the same way. Everyone I know has now had it at least once. My wife and I not. But we have had most of the symptoms off and on just not the lack of taste or smell. Keep testing negative. But I will still wear my mask while flying and in most public occasions. We've been to concerts and plays and the pub quite regularly.

I'm wondering if there is a segment of the population that is just a bit more immune to it. It would be an interesting study.

SIL had covid about 18 months ago. still has effects to this day. she is in the long covid studies.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
My wife somehow caught it and brought it home. I was Hero Dad for 4 days, before succumbing to covid myself. Then the kids got it.
I find it amazing that I haven't gotten it yet... she came home late Friday and before she felt sick we carried on as usual through Saturday and right up until she tested positive on Sunday night. But knock on wood it's been almost three days and I still feel fine, just a bit tired from all the extra running around

I will give myself and the kids rapid tests anyway before we hit the road for Sask.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I find it amazing that I haven't gotten it yet... she came home late Friday and before she felt sick we carried on as usual through Saturday and right up until she tested positive on Sunday night. But knock on wood it's been almost three days and I still feel fine, just a bit tired from all the extra running around

I will give myself and the kids rapid tests anyway before we hit the road for Sask.
For a number of people I know including me, the rapid tests didn't show a positive until after 3-4 days of having symptoms.

Prepare for the worst which for most people is just being very tired. I don't know the age of your kids and how far you are away from home but I'd recommend having a plan to get home fast if you start to get symptoms. The worst thing is having to take care of younger children if you're not feeling well and have no energy. My child and I got Covid at the same time and had very slight fevers. It worked out well because we were both able to sleep in for a few days.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

the coughing/hacking became worse a week or so after testing negative. I am still coughing, two weeks later.
I have the cough which too got worse after being over it and getting a negative test. But my bf who is working in the hospital said the covid cough as its referred to there is quite common and lasts a couple of weeks after covid is supposedly over. Still Coughing?

On another note for a few days last week, I lost my sense of smell, it was very weird but it just came back about two days ago after only losing it a few days, it too is something that can occur after you get over the initial covid symptoms.

It took me about 3 or 4 days to get a positive test after my BF first tested positive with it and he had it worse than me which we attribute to him only having two shots vs me having a third booster shot.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:09 AM

something to keep an eye out for if your kids had covid.

Coronavirus may be linked to cases of severe hepatitis in children
By Nancy Lapid
May 16, 2022

May 16 (Reuters) - The following is a summary of some recent studies on COVID-19. They include research that warrants further study to corroborate the findings and that has yet to be certified by peer review.

SARS-CoV-2 could be at root of mysterious hepatitis in kids

A chain of events possibly triggered by unrecognized infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus could be causing the mysterious cases of severe hepatitis reported in hundreds of young children around the world, researchers suggest.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...en-2022-05-16/

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:00 PM

Well at least now we can move on to Monkeypox....

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Wasn't this also predicted by a movie?

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
something to keep an eye out for if your kids had covid.

This is what concerns me about Covid. Sure, people take it easy now. But we have no idea of the long term.

In my lifetime, we've gone from Chicken Pox parties to vaccines for it, because of long term concerns over shingles. And from HPV is no big deal to we need to vaccinate against it to stop cancer.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The apocalypse has well and truly arrived.

The survivalists holed up in their solar powered cabins in the back woods were right all along............

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
For a number of people I know including me, the rapid tests didn't show a positive until after 3-4 days of having symptoms.

Prepare for the worst which for most people is just being very tired. I don't know the age of your kids and how far you are away from home but I'd recommend having a plan to get home fast if you start to get symptoms. The worst thing is having to take care of younger children if you're not feeling well and have no energy. My child and I got Covid at the same time and had very slight fevers. It worked out well because we were both able to sleep in for a few days.
Good food for thought, thanks.

I tested again last night and my kids and I are negative, everyone's feeling fine, so we're going to go.

I guess if things go off the rails and we get sick, then my wife is flying out to Saskatoon on Monday to drive us home, haha

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:34 PM

SIL informed us she tested positive last night. Her second time with it. She had it 18 months ago prevaccine. She says this time she feels drained and only had a fever last night. other than that it seem less than the first time she had it.

and an update, wife best friend now is positive for C19.

Last edited by Airboy; May 19, 2022 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 5:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm mostly surprised by how long it took most people I know to get covid. They have been more or less back to normal for a while. Most of them did ultimately end up with symptoms when they got sick. Still hasn't hit my household as far as we know but seemingly > 50% of the people I know have had it. I doubt most of them were reported as official cases. They did rapid antigen tests at home.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Endemic to Africa and now a cluster deducted in Montreal you say....

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:12 PM

So as I'm sure everyone on here knows, the unions that represent federal workers (PSAC, PIPSC, CPAC, etc.) are all challenging the requirement for federal workers to be vaccinated and filing policy grievances against the government for it.

However, this week, PIPSC has taken it to a new level. They've started contacting individual workers who are on leave without pay for being unvaccinated, and getting them to file individual grievances against their departments over their leave without pay status. In these grievances, the demand is to be immediately reinstated at work and get back pay to April 6th (the date the union believes the policy should have been removed and unvaxxed employees invited back to work).

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Good.

Next, the idiotic and baseless travel restrictions need to go.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:30 PM

Given that the grievances already arbitrated at the federal level have all or mostly all gone in favour of the employer, I don't hold much hope for them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada