HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 6:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's still considered a spelling mistake not to use them when writing in French. As stated, you get slack for omitting them from caps though.

and as noted no doubt formally, but its a losing battle. its an internet and silly texting meme world. we will all be reduced to shrugs and mumbling soon.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:40 AM

Learned of a new one for Portland. There is a suburban chain of doughnut shops called NOLA doughnuts, specializing in New Orleans style baked goods. This might require some "research".

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 3:47 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The term "Nashville" hot chicken didn't exist until about 2005. It was just hot chicken before that, and extremely obscure.

The rich kid who started Hattie B's in 2010 is responsible for both the term "Nashville Hot Chicken" and its rise.
Yeah, and "Philly Cheesesteaks" were just known as "Cheesesteaks" until they became popular outside of Philly. So what?

And we've been over this before. All you've actually established is that hot chicken was "extremely obscure" to you and the people you spent your time around. And hey, there's nothing wrong with that. But for myself and many people I know and grew up around, we've been eating it practically our entire lives.

Anyway, I'm not going to rehash this entire discussion, so this will be the last thing I say on it. I'm just not sure why you are so intent on pushing this narrative that your own personal experience works as a suitable stand-in for the rest of the world.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:34 PM

Sometimes the dish gets flip flopped. In Michigan they call them Coney Dogs. In upstate NY they call them Michigan dogs!

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Sometimes the dish gets flip flopped. In Michigan they call them Coney Dogs. In upstate NY they call them Michigan dogs!
In Buffalo you have Texas Hots (or Texas Red Hots), while in Houston it was James Coney Island.

(Of course Texas Hots restaurants are typically Greek diners with souvlaki and gyros on the menu, alongside the aforementioned Texas Red Hots).

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 11:38 PM
All man. Half nuts.

in Boise, there's a restaurant called McDonald's, named (no doubt) after McDonald, North Carolina.

also, not a city, but my cousin in New Zealand told be about a restaurant chain there called Burger Wisconsin, apparently so named because Wisconsin is the Home of the Hamburger.

as a Wisconsin native, I had no idea. though apparently Seymour, WI, does tout itself as such.

i learned something today, and it hurts.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Yes, in Quebec we call them Michigans too, Dog
Love us.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions