HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:10 PM

I'm betting most malls in North America are drafting up some sort of plans to add residential to their seas of parking lot. With online shopping becoming more prevalent and the idea of parking minimum elimination gaining traction in most jurisdictions, I think they're looking to find ways to make their assets more profitable.

St Vital was the mall my family shopped at growing up, so that's my frame of reference. I have distinct memories of my youth of my parents circling some time for spots on Saturdays in December because they were all occupied. Now, you can certainly find something on a Saturday in December, you just might have to walk a little bit. And there will always be reasonably close spots the rest of the year.

But as it was, all that parking was only used to capacity on maybe 10 days of the year? And nowadays, I doubt it ever hits full capacity.

I hope that these Polo Park plans move forward and that other areas that are just seas of underused pavement start making better use for the land.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Someone once suggested something like this happen at Dominion Centre in St B.
That parking lot is always full during daytime hours.

Old Posted Today, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That parking lot is always full during daytime hours.
I realize Dominion Centre is somewhat full at times but I was more so referring to an under utilized piece of land that could better serve the immediate area. So close to Downtown, The Forks and amenities such as many bus routes.
Also, I wonder if some parking there are from people working or visiting The St B hospital & surrounding buildings at times.

Old Posted Today, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Also, I wonder if some parking there are from people working or visiting The St B hospital & surrounding buildings at times.
Good question

Old Posted Today, 3:20 AM

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ning-city-hall

I wonder if we can expect this type of ire from Winnipeg residents.

Old Posted Today, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ning-city-hall

I wonder if we can expect this type of ire from Winnipeg residents.
It will all depend on the details... City Council agreed to 4 units per lot city-wide and 4-stories within 800 m of the "Primary Transit Network" back in November. These changes will be implemented in the Rapid Zoning By-Law Amendment in early 2025. However, will it actually be 4 units on every lot, or will there be restrictions such as a minimum lot width (say 50 ft) or a requirement that the lot must have a backlane (which would disqualify about half the lots in the city). Also, what even is the "Primary Transit Network?" Is that only Rapid Transit? Or does that include the "Direct" and "Frequent" buses shown in the Transit Master Plan (new bus routes are supposed to be implemented in June 2025).

In general, I get the sense that Winnipeg is not as NIMBY as Calgary. It is an older and denser city. I recently did some math and found that, within the built up areas, Winnipeg had a population density of about 2400/km^2 while Calgary was only 2000/km^2. Edmonton and Ottawa were also about 2000/km^2. Winnipeg also has a lot more old neighbourhoods with existing apartments than Calgary does. We also don't have the same reliance on the oil and gas industry. And then look at the provincial politics right now... not really comparable. Wab Kinew and Daniella Smith are polar opposites.

YIMBY Winnipeg will be working hard to make sure the new Zoning By-Law passes in 2027. I have an invite from the Gleenwood Neighbourhood Association (Winnipeg's #1 NIMBY group) to walk around Gleenwood with them and see how lot splits have "destroyed" their neighbourhood. I should probably take them up on that, not because I'm going to get mad at them, but because I want to hear what they have to say and try to work out some sort of compromise. If Winnipeg's YIMBY's can meet with Winnipeg's NIMBY's ahead of time, I hope that some compromises can be made and our new Zoning By-Law will pass in 2027.

I've spoken with some of the people from More Neighbours Calgary before (the main YIMBY group in Calgary). I'll be curious to hear their perspective on the zoning reform happening in Calgary once it's all said and done. Hopefully we can learn a few lessons from them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan