HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
So what’s going on with Pacific/Manchester Gateway?? Is the Navy building complete?? And when will they start on the other buildings?
Nothing to do with COVID-19. Manchester had financing problems crop-up before the pandemic had started and shelved everything but the navy building. It was reported he was trying to offload the rest of the project. To be honest, he kind of got lucky with the timing because the pandemic would have halted it anyway and now that’s the perceived reason, but the truth is Manchester’s company f’d that project up before this crisis hit and it likely wouldn’t have moved forward anyway unless someone was willing to bail it out and keep the same plans.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:04 AM
Registered San Diegan

I'm not crying over the Manchester proposal being dead. That project in its final iteration of watered down art deco meets UTC corporate plaza made me cringe. Hopefully it gets scooped by someone who can hire a moderately reputable architect. I hope that asymmetrical office tower never sees the light of day.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 8:23 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
The last I heard pre-COVID-19 was that they were still securing funding and looking to break ground end of this year.
Hmm well the other previously city owned project (old crap courthouse on Broadway) has broken ground. So 12th/Market check, courthouse good to go, but Cisterra the most rock solid of all projects we thought 3 years ago still has yet to break ground.

The Ritz isn't really the main part of that project though it wasn't even 200 rooms, just 160 I think. It was mainly an office space and residential deal.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:21 AM

Broadway Block

Pinnacle 11th and Broadway

Courthouse Demo

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flood View Post
Broadway Block

Pinnacle 11th and Broadway
I can't get over how prodigiously beefy this building looks in person. Somehow it just doesn't come across in pictures.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 1:05 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
I can't get over how prodigiously beefy this building looks in person. Somehow it just doesn't come across in pictures.
I know! Different angles reveal different perspectives. From Golden Hill it looks somewhat slim and punctuating, but from the 1-5 or on Broadway it's a chunker lol.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 3:19 AM

Quote:
It definitely makes its presence known. I turned the corner while walking and bam whips out in front of my face. Definitely thicker in person and very imposing compared to the other smaller and stubbier ones around it. I’ve noticed buildings have that effect around tall ones. Like the Empire Stage Building, as tall as it is, the surrounding structures are way shorter, almost highlighting ESB’s already soaring height.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:02 AM
Category Five

Downtown San Diego from the 94

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:11 PM
Babylon falling

Great Shot Hugo

Wow that Vantage point from 94 needs 7th and Market so badly.... Please break ground. With Street Lights, Pinnacle Twins at 11th and Broadway, BOSA block, and crossing fingers for Cisterra project that angle would actually be respectable.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 6:42 PM

How do you guys feel about the proposed gondola going up and down harbor dr? IMO it’s obstructing to the open bay. I would rather much prefer it go up and down pacific highway so that it’s somewhat hidden but close to the water and it’ll also connect with Santa Fe depot.

https://www.kusi.com/proposed-plan-t...own-san-diego/

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 6:56 PM
Babylon falling

Construction Update

The full block 7 floor apartment project right behind the police headquarters has broken ground. I see the excavating equipment is out and they are digging.

Street Lights has not I repeat not broken ground folks. 29 floor tower at 14th and F has only been cleared of whatever structure was on the lot. No digging has taken place at all and the site is void of any construction equipment. So.... false start on that project. Hopefully we see diggers going there soon.

-----

Gondola, well we need something to mix it up. Never got a ferris wheel like Seattle did lol. It might look a little junky on Harbor but if its on Pac Hwy all the people in the myriad of BOSA towers will complain and try to block it

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 12:02 AM
Category Five

At this point I feel like we just need to build something.

So if the Gondola is our only option, then screw it, get it built

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:59 AM

Quote:
How do you guys feel about the proposed gondola going up and down harbor dr? IMO it’s obstructing to the open bay. I would rather much prefer it go up and down pacific highway so that it’s somewhat hidden but close to the water and it’ll also connect with Santa Fe depot.

https://www.kusi.com/proposed-plan-t...own-san-diego/
I'd much rather see a traditional streetcar run through there.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 6:18 AM
Everywhere all at once

Sort of a random inquiry, but are there any other good news sources, blog sites, forums, etc. with decent coverage of San Diego? I feel like I've had trouble finding anything and even subforums on other sites are dead.

I am considering relocating there from the East Coast so I would love to get some more insight!

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Sort of a random inquiry, but are there any other good news sources, blog sites, forums, etc. with decent coverage of San Diego? I feel like I've had trouble finding anything and even subforums on other sites are dead.

I am considering relocating there from the East Coast so I would love to get some more insight!
The San Diego subreddit does a pretty good job of covering a variety of topics if you don't mind the occasional meme or sunset pic.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:44 PM
Registered San Diegan

New high-rise breaking ground in UTC. Nothing remarkable design or height wise, but did not see this one coming.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business...lden-triangle/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 8:19 AM

For a change of pace, how about this map of downtown circa 1876. I just love all the detail. (warning: large image)

The city is depicted from Balboa Park, and for reference the view to very similar to what you see today while coming into land at the airport. As far as I can tell it was commissioned to draw up support for extending the southern transcontinental railroad to the harbor, which would have made San Diego the port of entry for all of southern California. Unfortunately geography dictated the railroad swing north to Los Angeles instead, which lead to LA becoming the region's commercial hub instead.

Here's a photograph taken in that same year. The pier terminated near the trolley station in the Gaslamp District, everything beyond was dredged out of the harbor in later years.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:

For a change of pace, how about this map of downtown circa 1876. I just love all the detail. (warning: large image)

The city is depicted from Balboa Park, and for reference the view to very similar to what you see today while coming into land at the airport. As far as I can tell it was commissioned to draw up support for extending the southern transcontinental railroad to the harbor, which would have made San Diego the port of entry for all of southern California. Unfortunately geography dictated the railroad swing north to Los Angeles instead, which lead to LA becoming the region's commercial hub instead.
I’ve read that it was due to city officials in San Francisco fearing San Diego’s harbor rivaling their own and didn’t want SD to compete with SF. So being the premier city at the time, they decided on the small cow town Los Angeles with no competing harbor back then to be the terminus of the railroad. As Los Angeles boomed throughout the years especially with Hollywood attracting stars, the city extended city limits all the way to San Pedro in order to have its own harbor and port. By around the 1920s, Los Angeles had completely taken over San Francisco and the entire west coast as the premier city.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 3:42 AM
El Guátqui

Quote:
I’ve read that it was due to city officials in San Francisco fearing San Diego’s harbor rivaling their own and didn’t want SD to compete with SF. So being the premier city at the time, they decided on the small cow town Los Angeles with no competing harbor back then to be the terminus of the railroad. As Los Angeles boomed throughout the years especially with Hollywood attracting stars, the city extended city limits all the way to San Pedro in order to have its own harbor and port. By around the 1920s, Los Angeles had completely taken over San Francisco and the entire west coast as the premier city.
Fascinating!

As an L.A. region native, I think it would have all been a lot nicer-looking for the L.A. Basin to have remained smaller and more agricultural for a longer time. It could have been like the Salinas Valley and Monterey Bay, while y'all down in San Diego enjoyed all the heavy industry and supertall skyscrapers.

Oh, well. That said, I love my homeland.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 4:33 AM

Quote:

Here's a photograph taken in that same year. The pier terminated near the trolley station in the Gaslamp District, everything beyond was dredged out of the harbor in later years.
Isn’t “everything beyond” what became North Island and Coronado? Not that a lot of dredging didn’t happen, I’m sure

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations