HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Edmonton is getting Hyundai-Rotem LRVs for phase 2 of the Valley Line. So two sets of rolling stock and the line isn't even open yet.
Same manufacturer as the rolling stocks of Vancouver-Richmond & airport's Canada Line then.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:29 PM
Near Generational

With the Premier's letter to the City of Calgary on wanting to talk about LRT to the airport, what do you think she's specifically talking about?

I'm kinda thinking it would be to go from Saddletowne to the airport vs building out the Green Line?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
With the Premier's letter to the City of Calgary on wanting to talk about LRT to the airport, what do you think she's specifically talking about?

I'm kinda thinking it would be to go from Saddletowne to the airport vs building out the Green Line?
Nothing in particular.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
CAF has been selected to provide the LRVs for Green Line. Opening day of Stage 1 will see 2 car trains with 8 minute headways during peak times.

https://www.calgary.ca/green-line/gr...-supplier.html
That’s really putting the cart before the horse! A year later, and tracks still aren’t laid! And the article states that Stage 2 will proceed if cost escalations and risks don’t materialize during Stage 1. Well we all know that costs are almost guaranteed to escalate so I guess we will not see Stage 2 for a very long time! Unless Smith can put money where her mouth is!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
If Smith's comments are actually more concrete than what MalcolmTucker expects it to be, it would certainly have to be from the eastern side of YYC. The Green Line isn't even expected to start real construction until early 2024, and even if everything goes perfectly including funding and planning of future extensions, I doubt it reaches 96th Avenue before the late 2030s. By comparison, the Blue Line just needs an small extension to 88th Ave combined with a people-mover to the terminal.

https://twitter.com/HomelessCalgary/...44986591641600

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 11:35 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Thanks for posting that, that's what I thought I heard (the $1.8B figure)

I googled and came across the Airport Trail Funcitonal Planning Study but didn't find the infographic linked in the twitter post.

Ps. That twitter account is ... something.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that, that's what I thought I heard (the $1.8B figure)

I googled and came across the Airport Trail Funcitonal Planning Study but didn't find the infographic linked in the twitter post.
I think they used the infographics from the Route Ahead report from the end of 2020, Attachment 3. It's an informative document describing many of the transit projects under study by the City; though frustratingly it does not have anything on Green Line extensions. Hopefully the Route Ahead update for this year will finally have new data on them.

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....ab=attachments

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
If Smith's comments are actually more concrete than what MalcolmTucker expects it to be, it would certainly have to be from the eastern side of YYC. The Green Line isn't even expected to start real construction until early 2024, and even if everything goes perfectly including funding and planning of future extensions, I doubt it reaches 96th Avenue before the late 2030s. By comparison, the Blue Line just needs an small extension to 88th Ave combined with a people-mover to the terminal.

https://twitter.com/HomelessCalgary/...44986591641600
A people mover from 88th to the Airport would be a long bumpy ride. The only airport people movers I’ve been on are at YYZ and LGW as a terminal to terminal people mover. Both of those rides lurch and bump along a guideway and therefore thankfully a short distance. Unless there’s better technology for the distance required between 88th and the Terminal, I would much prefer to see the current technology used for that spur line.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
A people mover from 88th to the Airport would be a long bumpy ride. The only airport people movers I’ve been on are at YYZ and LGW as a terminal to terminal people mover. Both of those rides lurch and bump along a guideway and therefore thankfully a short distance. Unless there’s better technology for the distance required between 88th and the Terminal, I would much prefer to see the current technology used for that spur line.
Wouldn’t it be more practical to extend NE line north up 60th St to Airport Tr. Then through the tunnel to the airport??

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
Wouldn’t it be more practical to extend NE line north up 60th St to Airport Tr. Then through the tunnel to the airport??
Well that’s what I was driving at (and I agree with you!), but the Twitter article that was included in the post by accord1999 stated that the intention for the connection from the Blue Line to the airport was to be via a people mover!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:19 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
DEN, SFO and LAS for me. At those airports, the people mover was used to move from terminal to terminal, terminal to rental car center or terminal to rapid transit; ie movements within the airport itself.

Looking forward to Route Ahead as suggested by accord1999, hopefully they have new/updated/better information when they release the update.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:38 PM

Newark has a somewhat long people mover - 2 km from the closest terminal to rail transfer. JFK is 7.5 km to a major station, 5.3 km to a minor station (different spurs). Oakland is 5 km. Phoenix is 3 km.

One reason a higher speed, and very frequent, system is preferred is the distance. Hence automated light metro of some sort.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:15 AM

Was the tunnel even designed for a possible transit option. And with the two interchanges built on Airport Tr, is there enough space to have rail transition to run along Airport Tr?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Was the tunnel even designed for a possible transit option. And with the two interchanges built on Airport Tr, is there enough space to have rail transition to run along Airport Tr?
The tunnel and interchanges were designed with Transit in mind.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 10:58 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Of course we lose a traffic lane in each direction in the tunnel.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure