HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
So it's worse than I thought.

I have a "Chandeliers" level of confidence in them making it.
Well, at least they're not in that cursed location.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:39 AM

Midtown Plaza seeks to delay MEC sale over attempt to abandon Saskatoon lease
Bryn Levy, The StarPhoenix
Sep 29, 2020

The head of the downtown business improvement district said it will be disappointing to many people if the troubled outdoor retailer Mountain Equipment Co-op does not follow through on plans to open a store in Saskatoon.

“There’s some concern there. You always hope that your largest property owner, a key business property in downtown and for our whole city, is able to be fully-outfitted with tenants,” Brent Penner said Tuesday.

“My hope is that something changes for the positive.”

That is now in the hands of a British Columbia court, which the company that owns the Midtown Plaza is petitioning to delay MEC’s sale to the U.S. private investment firm Kingswood Capital Management.

Documents filed this week in a Vancouver court outline the downtown mall’s efforts to keep the beleaguered retailer as an anchor tenant for the recently renovated facility as MEC seeks to end its lease under provisions of the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA).

[...]

Read more: https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...askatoon-lease

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:57 PM

I just read on the Regina thread that the Davids Tea location in Midtown WILL be one of the new locations for T Kettle that is opening up stores in 45 of the old David's locations across Canada. Looks like this is true based on map accompanying the article below.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/t-k...tman-1.5779901

Not major news, but during times of a Pandemic any new opening is encouraging.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:55 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:56 PM

Crappy timing/circumstances for their opening but it is still a positive sign to see that retailers are not further delaying opening and expansions. I guess/hope that others are seeing that glimmer of light at the end of the very long tunnel.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:22 PM

Mr Mike’s is closing at the end of the year. Better use up your gift cards now! The business is for sale for $450 K which I guess gets you the equipment and furniture - and I guess you could renegotiate the franchise rights. Otherwise seems steep to pay that much for a nameless restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:20 PM

My wife reports that there’s a bunch of Leo’s signage in the strip mall in Kensington next to the Scotia Bank. I’m very excited as our area is in need of a decent casual restaurant and Leo’s seems to have a good following. Now all we need is the pandemic to wrap itself up so I can enjoy in person dining again.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
My wife reports that there’s a bunch of Leo’s signage in the strip mall in Kensington next to the Scotia Bank. I’m very excited as our area is in need of a decent casual restaurant and Leo’s seems to have a good following. Now all we need is the pandemic to wrap itself up so I can enjoy in person dining again.
It's kind of incredible how fast they seem to be expanding.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:27 AM

Officially on Leopold's twitter....

https://twitter.com/Leopoldstavern/s...82032155365381

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 8:55 PM

Unhappy

Pretty sad how many restaurants and pubs won't be around in 2021

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:36 PM

There is a new “restaurant” serving British pub food opening in March - The Coq and Apron. It is delivery only with no dine in option. We might be seeing more of this as the pandemic drags on. But, on the positive side, we have seen some new restaurants open recently - Filosophi, Caraway Grill, The Hunger Cure, Bagel Shop YXE.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:32 PM

Though this is old-ish news, Genesis Family Restaurant on 22nd is permanently closed. Their kitchen equipment was auctioned off about a month ago.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:15 PM
Registered Geek

New Restaurant - 8th Street

Does anyone know what might be going into the spot next to the new ScotiaBank on 8th Street? 101-1507 8th Street East in Cumberland Square? There are, what appears to be, 2 "day of the dead" skull heads on either side of the doorway with "COMING SOON" above each. A new Mexican restaurant?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
Does anyone know what might be going into the spot next to the new ScotiaBank on 8th Street? 101-1507 8th Street East in Cumberland Square? There are, what appears to be, 2 "day of the dead" skull heads on either side of the doorway with "COMING SOON" above each. A new Mexican restaurant?
I'm also curious about that.

Speaking of "the dead", I saw on Saturday that Mr. Mike's was brought back under new ownership/management and reopened again.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:51 PM
Registered Geek

Market Corner - 2401 Preston Avenue South

A couple new restaurants coming online soon at the corner of Preston and Louise. So far we have...

- The Vault (Vietnamese Restaurant) (Under construction)
- Go Grill (Under construction)

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 10:28 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 9, 2021 at 10:12 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Gee, I'm getting hungry! Owners are probably liking the time-frame, too, as everything gets back to (a new) normal.

Did they ever build that strip-mall at 2nd and 25th downtown, with a Starbucks and other bays for shops? I would always support the local coffee shop a little further north on 2nd, in that other new development (how's that one doing?); but anyway, with the Starbucks you'd get the car folks driving through mostly anyways;>) Every parking lot that transforms into a beacon of activity dt is welcome as it'll make the hood a safer, more pleasant place to be. Right.
Yeah the Starbucks strip mall is up and running. There’s also a Prairie Donair in that strip as well. Sparrow appears to still be going strong further north on 2nd. There’s also a new micro brewery in that building. It has limited hours and I assume is really hoping for a return to normal.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Gee, I'm getting hungry! Owners are probably liking the time-frame, too, as everything gets back to (a new) normal.

Did they ever build that strip-mall at 2nd and 25th downtown, with a Starbucks and other bays for shops? I would always support the local coffee shop a little further north on 2nd, in that other new development (how's that one doing?); but anyway, with the Starbucks you'd get the car folks driving through mostly anyways;>) Every parking lot that transforms into a beacon of activity dt is welcome as it'll make the hood a safer, more pleasant place to be. Right.
This new strip mall with Starbucks and it’s drive thru, Sparrow Coffee with nice outdoor seating further North has been Life. Changing. for this corner. Incredible that it brought so much animation to not just this corner that is a loud/rowdy corner, but even the back alley behind these shops which was perceived as a scarier location of our downtown (since vehicles are continually driving through it now to get to the drive thru.
These two new developments on 2nd ave N help bridge it into the 2nd Ave S Downtown animated district. Now we just need to get rid of the 2nd ave 7/11 downtown and complete the library to complete that missing gap of wall ability. Boy that 7/11 sees crime - even just restructuring that lot would help - people love to park themselves around the dumpsters.

There’s also another new coffee shop called “Puffsey Cafe” on 3rd/25th downtown that replaced a very quiet grandma lee’s. Exciting to see this animation really saturate the bad guys causing issues via Circle K/ 7/11. Our police have also been as active as they can be in these spaces so kudos to them… idk what you could do to solve it.. It’s never really city park residents causing the ruckus.. seems to be folks that are traveling from miles away that are attracted to stealing candy/food to survive… quite a depressing situation that needs social services attention

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This new strip mall with Starbucks and it’s drive thru, Sparrow Coffee with nice outdoor seating further North has been Life. Changing. for this corner. Incredible that it brought so much animation to not just this corner that is a loud/rowdy corner, but even the back alley behind these shops which was perceived as a scarier location of our downtown (since vehicles are continually driving through it now to get to the drive thru.
These two new developments on 2nd ave N help bridge it into the 2nd Ave S Downtown animated district. Now we just need to get rid of the 2nd ave 7/11 downtown and complete the library to complete that missing gap of wall ability. Boy that 7/11 sees crime - even just restructuring that lot would help - people love to park themselves around the dumpsters.

There’s also another new coffee shop called “Puffsey Cafe” on 3rd/25th downtown that replaced a very quiet grandma lee’s. Exciting to see this animation really saturate the bad guys causing issues via Circle K/ 7/11. Our police have also been as active as they can be in these spaces so kudos to them… idk what you could do to solve it.. It’s never really city park residents causing the ruckus.. seems to be folks that are traveling from miles away that are attracted to stealing candy/food to survive… quite a depressing situation that needs social services attention
So while going through the starbucks drive thru this morning a homeless man was picking through the garbage as diligently as I’ve ever seen. It was quite sad, but it is so good to have all of the eyes on them while they do it in this back alley now - definitely detracts from crime AND opens up the eyes of a lot of suburban folks that don’t see homeless issues other than when walking by the lighthouse. This starbucks drive thru has been the best thing to happen to downtown in a long time - better than river landing. Folks were even giving this guy money when driving by even though he wasn’t asking for it.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This starbucks drive thru has been the best thing to happen to downtown in a long time - better than river landing.
Is this a joke? I can't always tell.

Last edited by Roquentin; May 22, 2021 at 9:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan