HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

RBC Gateway in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Minneapolis Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

and then there were 3:

United Properties - 36 floors

Mortenson - 31 floors

Doran Companies - 30 floors

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:48 PM

United proposal is recommended by planners:

http://www.startribune.com/business/291045411.html

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:22 PM

New rendering showing the proposed LED lighting scheme:

And another updated image:

Also....since the first images released, the drawings have always shown 40 floors (39+ roof terrace is what I count)...but they have always said 36 in the text. I guess if you take off the base, the tower portion is 36...maybe that is what they mean? So not sure why the difference. I guess they are prelim...maybe they thought 40 initially and went to 36, or vice versa.

Last edited by MNMike; Feb 6, 2015 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 3:21 AM
MPLSXCHI

They may add 8-12 floors!

https://twitter.com/vogemn

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:02 AM

Like I said over at SSC, if they add 12 floors and the floors have high "floor to ceiling" heights, and a decent sized podium, the UP proposal could end up around 550' +! Not 900' but hopefully, Duval can come up with a proposal somewhere else DT!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 1:27 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Sounds like some all around promising news with this project after the sting of losing duval's 80 story monster.

The UP project was my 2nd favorite after duval's, and with the fact that they might bump it up another 8 -12 floors, this could now have some decent height, as Bob pointed out above.

and the night rendering with the building illumination looks pretty damn flashy, in a good way.

I'm officially excited about this project again.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 3:06 AM

I was excited to hear the progress, but until steel is being put up, I am not holding my breath (simply because there are a million things that can go wrong). Things seem to be going well in the Twin Cities, and hopefully more development comes as a result.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:40 AM

Read an article about Jacob Frey in the Bizz Journal.... Wish the city had a couple more folks like him around! Could have used him and a few more 20-25 years ago!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 9:55 PM
MPLSXCHI

United Properties taps big partner for Nicollet Hotel Block project
Dec 10, 2015, 2:52pm CST

Quote:
United Properties is partnering with one of the biggest names in multifamily development on its Gateway project on the Nicollet Hotel Block site in downtown Minneapolis.

Charleston, S.C.-based Greystar will lead both the housing and hotel components of the project and is evaluating several hotel partners, according to a statement from Bill Katter, president and chief investment officer at Bloomington-based United Properties.

During the first half of next year, United Properties plans to finish its design for the block, identify a brand for the hotel and start the city approval process, he said.

Greystar describes itself as the largest operator of apartments in the United States, managing about 385,000 units in over 100 markets. It also has more than $1.5 billion in development projects underway.

Katter's statement describes the Nicollet Hotel Block project as a "30+-story, mixed-use project...with a hotel as well as a residential tower." It will have retail and restuarants, below-grade parking and a skyway connection to the Minneapolis Central Library.

United Properties doesn't have any new renderings of the project.
link

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:06 AM

Like I said over at SSC... I hope they bump this one up past 40+ floors!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 1:24 PM

New rendering of the new design were revealed earlier this year. It looked like it was a massing but it wasn't very popular with anyone including city council members who told United Properties to redesign it.

The tower was redesigned and showed to the city again. Apparently the redesign is much better with Council-member Frey saying "I'm glad I pushed back because there have been substantial improvements within the last week. The new design is looking absolutely beautiful. It improves the public realm, has atrium space that connects Nicollet (Mall) and Hennepin (Avenue) and has lighting that makes the site a true landmark." New renderings won't be revealed until spring.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 6:28 AM

^^^^ Disagree with you. From one side it looks like a "Wall"! Don't see why the developer can't chop off some of the width and add 6-8 more floors!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 11:47 PM

Revealed renderings from an event today.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...lis-tower.html

Quote:
Here are some details of the plan:
JMI and United Properties are in discussions with the Four Seasons for a 300-room, five-star hotel that will include a 10,000-square-foot ballroom on the fourth floor and meeting space. The hotel would own and operate its own 7,500-square-foot restaurant.
Now called The Gateway, the project will be rebranded once a flagship hotel is signed.
The tower has grown from 33 floors to 35 floors.
At 530 feet tall (including a lit-up architectural spire), the tower would be the eighth-tallest building in Minneapolis, just behind RBC Plaza and ahead of the Fifth Street Towers' 150 S. Fifth St. building
The Greystar-developed luxury apartments will average 1,700 square feet. Penthouse units will be on the top two floors.
The plan includes 11,500 square feet of street-level retail and three levels of underground parking for up to 575 vehicles.
The project will connect to the skyway system through the Minneapolis Central Library.
A public plaza will be able to accommodate the planned Nicollet-Central Corridor streetcar line. The plaza could also be integrated with the Cancer Survivors Park in front of Marquette Plaza.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:24 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Well, that's certainly a vast improvement from where the design stood in january.

And another 500 footer for minneapolis with the cheat stick............ which is nice.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:05 AM

Maybe it'll grow some more to say, 42 floors!! That's a very tall cheat spire....proportionately to the building itself! Design is good though.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 12:00 AM

The BizJournal article has been updated with more pictures showing other sides of the tower.

Quote:

This tower timeline has it's starting Fall of 2017, thats over a year for this tower to get taller, or get shorter, or die. Let's hope it's taller.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 3:48 PM

Really liking the design on this...The angles, the spire that goes all the way from the ground...the limestone wall that cuts through...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 9:56 PM

Digging the design, including the spire. Looks similar to the Fairmont Hotel in Austin.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:34 AM

Transitioning from residential to office.

United Properties gets another extension for downtown tower to pursue anchor office tenant

Nov 13, 2017

Quote:
United Properties’ grand plan for a luxury apartment high-rise is morphing into more of an office tower as it chases a major employer as an anchor tenant.

The developer has been granted another extension from the city of Minneapolis, which awarded United Properties exclusive development rights in February 2015 to what is known as the Nicollet Hotel Block.

Minneapolis-based United Properties originally pitched a 36-story, 300-unit apartment tower with a 182-room hotel. It was a plan that convinced city officials to choose UP over rival proposals by Bloomington-based Doran Cos. and Golden Valley-based M.A. Mortenson Co.

Since then, the Pohlad-owned firm lost its residential development partner and its financing for the project, and subsequently had to ask the city three times for deadline extensions for the 1.7-acre parcel on the far north end of Nicollet Mall.

Now United Properties has shifted its focus and it hopes that it can convince RBC Wealth Management to move all if its 1,400 local employees into the tower. The city has given United Properties until March 1 to possibly negotiate a lease with Toronto-based RBC, according to a staff report.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:23 AM

That's good news. If they keep it in the 35-40 story range with office, this could easily be 550-600'!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive