HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 1:42 PM

Bing Bird's Eye View

I just noticed Bing has bird's-eye view of Halifax. Check it out:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...3363&encType=1

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:11 PM

very neat. the timing of the photo is before they started on the new dal building beside the tupper bldg, and the sacred heart new building. Also, walmart in dartmouth is half down. The view of the kings wharf site is nice. JET

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 5:23 PM

Excellent, I was wondering when they were going to finally add birds eye view data for Halifax.
Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:57 AM

Wow, I've been having fun with this all night!

Does anyone know anything about this house at the foot of Oakland Road? I noticed it under construction a couple years ago, it's so weird and ostentatious.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 11:23 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post

Does anyone know anything about this house at the foot of Oakland Road? I noticed it under construction a couple years ago, it's so weird and ostentatious.

The boathouse that is attached to this mansion would be considered to be a nice home to a lot of people. I think that I know the owner of this home, but I shouldn't be name dropping. Personally, I think this is an interesting design.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The boathouse that is attached to this mansion would be considered to be a nice home to a lot of people. I think that I know the owner of this home, but I shouldn't be name dropping. Personally, I think this is an interesting design.
Apparently the owner is not a fan of tress. LOL.

This map is pretty amazing. How they take a 2D satellite photo (I assume) and turn it into an ortho projection like that is beyond me. Pretty cool.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:

This map is pretty amazing. How they take a 2D satellite photo (I assume) and turn it into an ortho projection like that is beyond me. Pretty cool.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 1:04 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

It might be taken from a satellite at different angle. As opposed to being directly overhead. Just a guess.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Having seen this from the water, it looks more like a mall, or like a strange collection of 80s "contemporary" architecture. I do not like it. However, the boathouse seems to be well proportioned, and pretty current.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 2:08 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

this is how they shoot them.. at an angle from a plane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictometry

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 2:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Having seen this from the water, it looks more like a mall, or like a strange collection of 80s "contemporary" architecture. I do not like it. However, the boathouse seems to be well proportioned, and pretty current.
It seems to be built like a fortress. Maybe they built it that way for security. This is one good reason for not being too rich (I don't need to worry).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 2:44 PM
we built this city

I think its better quality than most residential developments in Halifax over the past 2 years.

I think people just don't like it because its modern, but Halifax needs these kind of stark contrasts between old and new. It does look very 80's, but so does most of the "modern" development in Halifax. Overall, I think Halifax is taking on a very european nature on aggregate, maybe Scandinavian or any northern euro city with a small population and similar natural setting.

Vancouver would be the opposite and seems very South-East Asian (esp. the residential towers) to me.

Last edited by worldlyhaligonian; Aug 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 4:10 PM

As long as we are talking about out of scale, intruding, and poorly designed homes along the peninsula side of the Northwest Arm, here is another:

I believe - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong - that this is Armoyan's estate, complete with his own personal gym and oversized parking lot behind the house. Another one who doesn't seem to care too much for trees. When viewed from the water, the house seems to a patchwork of leftover materials from other projects. The design and construction of this entire lot is about as cheap as it gets.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 4:18 PM

I do consider it (Oakland Rd) a nice house; the architecture is interesting enough, it's just that I'd be a bit embarrassed to live there, myself. They kind tore up and dwarfed a nice public park/pathway area and wharf. Sitting on that dock now, looking towards the mouth of the Arm, you get a lovely view of a 12 foot concrete wall.

In terms of how the design fits into the neighbourhood overall and the...flashiness of it, it reminds me a bit of Michael Cowpland's home.

(Wikipedia)

I know, I sound like a bit of a NIMBY nah, it is a neat design, it just strikes me as a little loud and egoistic.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
As long as we are talking about out of scale, intruding, and poorly designed homes along the peninsula side of the Northwest Arm, here is another:

I believe - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong - that this is Armoyan's estate, complete with his own personal gym and oversized parking lot behind the house. Another one who doesn't seem to care too much for trees. When viewed from the water, the house seems to a patchwork of leftover materials from other projects. The design and construction of this entire lot is about as cheap as it gets.
Yuck - it's gross too. I can't help but feel like it's made from cardboard every time I see it. It looks like a little kid, trying to play grownup.

On the other hand, there is a Brian MacKay Lyons Sweetapple house for the Regans very close by that I think looks lovely from the water. It is modern without looking 80s (which isn't so much contemporary as dated), and the scale seems much better.

http://www.mlsarchitects.ca/portfoli...rojects/regan/

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...20ns&encType=1

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 10:21 AM

Couldn't agree more. That's because Brian is a real architect. Those other houses were designed by cake decorators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Yuck - it's gross too. I can't help but feel like it's made from cardboard every time I see it. It looks like a little kid, trying to play grownup.

On the other hand, there is a Brian MacKay Lyons Sweetapple house for the Regans very close by that I think looks lovely from the water. It is modern without looking 80s (which isn't so much contemporary as dated), and the scale seems much better.

http://www.mlsarchitects.ca/portfoli...rojects/regan/

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...20ns&encType=1

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 6:18 PM

Trying to figure out when the picture was taken. Maybe last summer. Founders Corner still had the crane up and kids are playing baseball outside. JET

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 11:54 PM

I was going to say use Spice as a guage, but thought better of that

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 4:44 PM

July 2008

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Is that house for real?? In the south end of Halifax? It looks like - I don't know what - a museum of fine art or something.
In some cities, that house would BE the museum of fine art.
Who does it belong to? And didn't the fine folks in south end Haly get up in NW Arms about it

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos