HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
Here is a map I put together for a university project. Shows the original location of the sports facilities as well as the houses that were torn down. After making it, I realized that they punched Mostyn place through to Balmoral and demolished Whitehall Ave.
This is really impressive, but I just have one minor quibble... the picture of the demolished stadium is actually a picture of the then-new Winnipeg Stadium.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I assume they were all privately owned at one point. Maybe they didn’t want to sell. Amazing that they bought 33 houses and a good sized apartment building to make a parking lot.
I knew someone who lived at Common Ground, the co-op house across the street, in the 1990s and there was still an old man living in that house who was never going to sell to GWL no matter what they offered. His heirs eventually did but by then GWL was no longer allowed to just demolish it. They seemed to try demolition by neglect for a while but fortunately came up with the daycare idea.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:43 PM

Those giant GWL parking lots are a relic of the bad old days of 1960s car-centric planning. These days I would imagine they'd have to build a parkade.

I wonder what Canada Life's long term plan is for that site? I can't imagine they plan to leave it that way indefinitely. I think we saw some pictures of a huge campus expansion to the west which never materialized, except for the triangular building I think. Do they plan to one day expand their corporate campus in that direction? Or could they conceivably sell off chunks for development and build a parkade to replace the lost lots?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
I knew someone who lived at Common Ground, the co-op house across the street, in the 1990s and there was still an old man living in that house who was never going to sell to GWL no matter what they offered. His heirs eventually did but by then GWL was no longer allowed to just demolish it. They seemed to try demolition by neglect for a while but fortunately came up with the daycare idea.
Back when they were actively attempting the demolition by neglect, I called the city a few times to complain about the condition of that house.

I am glad it ultimately got re-purposed.

Since the parking lot dream they have for that strip is not going to happen, hopefully GWL will allow for some development along Balmoral to the north of that house. There is still enough space there to put houses back in.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:37 PM

In that link to the daycare, they show new houses on that stretch. From what I can tell. New small houses that look like the original neighbourhood. Maybe that's just for show, I don't know.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:40 PM

Those "houses" are classroom wings for the daycare

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

came across a christmas card recently that had a early 1890's view of main st

didnt relize how early till i started really looking

also nerding out with andy6 over fb cant be beat lots of neat things to find burried in old photos

anyhow

left is aprox 1897 and is a glass slide ive had for quite few yrs now.
the common wealth shop apeared in the location in 97

the big Boston shop disapeared sometime between 96 and 97
ryan shoes stoped being in that location in 93 and moved to king and banntyne

right is the print from the christmas card. guesing its 1891-93
you will notice the street car line up williams is missin from it and still has horse drawn trollsies witch stopped around May 11, 1894 as a fire in the horse barn killed all the horses from what andy6 was able to find out

think the line went in on william in 94 seen map dated that showing it somewhere but cant find it now

lots of neat things to find in these photos when zoomed in

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:58 PM

My favorite thread. Amazing stuff!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is really impressive, but I just have one minor quibble... the picture of the demolished stadium is actually a picture of the then-new Winnipeg Stadium.
A valid quibble. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:07 PM

Amazing stuff. Imagine strolling Main St in that day..

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:24 AM

In the bottom right photo, is the tall building on the left the Confederation Building? If so - is that a dome that used to be up on top?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
In the bottom right photo, is the tall building on the left the Confederation Building? If so - is that a dome that used to be up on top?
I think it's the old post office at the NE corner of Main and McDermot. You can see a picture of it here.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:30 PM
Starring as himself

My grandmother grew up on Whitehall, right next door to the Amphitheatre. Their house was demolished around 1931 when the stadium was built and then the houses on the south side of the street were mostly sold and demolished due to the noise and traffic that the stadium was causing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
My grandmother grew up on Whitehall, right next door to the Amphitheatre. Their house was demolished around 1931 when the stadium was built and then the houses on the south side of the street were mostly sold and demolished due to the noise and traffic that the stadium was causing.
Do you know why the stadium ended up there? It seems to me that by the time it was built (Wikipedia says it opened in 1932), that would have been a bit of an odd choice for a location given that the site was obviously cramped and in a fairly prime position directly across from the Legislature.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:25 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Do you know why the stadium ended up there? It seems to me that by the time it was built (Wikipedia says it opened in 1932), that would have been a bit of an odd choice for a location given that the site was obviously cramped and in a fairly prime position directly across from the Legislature.
It was a big field owned by Shea’s and I believe someone started holding dog races there which eventually morphed into a stadium. It wasn’t a civic enterprise of any kind, as far as I know. Someone just decided to build a playing field and went ahead and did so. There were several small stadiums for baseball around town in those days.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Looking back on it, the arena and curling club are about what I'd have expected to see for Winnipeg circa 1910. But the stadium was surprisingly small... according to Wikipedia, Osborne Stadium opened in 1932 (although I'm not sure how accurate that is) and in pictures, it looks very cramped and ramshackle.

Compare it to Memorial Stadium down the road in Grand Forks, which was basically a small town at that time... theirs had nearly double the seating capacity and was much more impressive looking.

Memorial Stadium:

It's strange to me that the main stadium right in the middle of a major Canadian downtown area was so minimal... it didn't even have room for a regulation football field. It looks like something you might have expected to see in a place like Brandon.
Yes, it was basically an NFL-regulation field in terms of length complete with the ten yard end zones and a green monster-type wall at one end. Once the demand for tickets exceeded the supply during the Jack Jacobs era, Winnipeg Stadium was constructed giving us a brand spanking new state-of-the-art 15,000 seat sports facility.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:11 PM

It's been posted here before, but since we are talking about the history of Osborne Stadium I thought I would provide the link to the video.

https://vimeo.com/43772530

Quite the colorful history!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:09 PM
surely you agree with me

came across this cool shot from the Manitoba hotel, about 1895....the era of old buildings before all the old buildings that are there today were built. The hockey arena on bannatyne peeking out on th left.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 4:03 AM
keep the good times going

I love how the building on the northwest corner of Main and McDermott seemed to have a heavy Paris inspiration.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I love how the building on the northwest corner of Main and McDermott seemed to have a heavy Paris inspiration.
Second Empire style for sure. One of Winnipeg's many fire victims.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan