HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 4:21 PM

Construction Q&A

I sometimes have questions about why I see a certain thing going on and I see those types of questions posed by others from time to time as well so I thought a thread on that topic might be nice.

My question is inspired by the formwork going on at 3065 Robie. I see columns going right on top of footings before an actual slab has been put down. What makes that the right choice for this project?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 5:02 PM
armchairitect

the base of the column will sit below the bottom of the floor slab. once thats in, they will lay some drainge pipe, gravel, and pour the slab on that.

Here is an Example from the Nova Center: http://novacenter.builthalifax.ca/

Have a Look at this post over at BuiltHalifax - It covers the basics of concrete construction.
http://halifaxbloggers.ca/builthalif...-construction/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 4:11 AM

Thanks for sharing~~~~

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
My question is inspired by the formwork going on at 3065 Robie. I see columns going right on top of footings before an actual slab has been put down. What makes that the right choice for this project?
Ziobrop pretty well covered this but anyways this photoset from 2814 Isleville shows it as well.

The columns have been poured and the gravel is levelled to the top of the bases yet there is a significant gap between that grade and the door into the lobby. Once the drainage pipes and floor are poured the two will be flush with each other.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 1:20 PM
armchairitect

I do like this idea as a sticky thread - Put all the common construction method questions in one place..

any other questions? always looking for blog post content ideas.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 PM

I'm not a fan of sticky threads - the Suburbs forum has so many they take up most of a screen and almost never have postings. Actually they need a good culling and de-sticking.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:33 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
I do like this idea as a sticky thread - Put all the common construction method questions in one place..
I made the thread sticky. It also belongs in the Urban Issues section, so I moved it and left a redirect. This is currently the only sticky thread in this section so it should be easy to find.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 6:01 PM

I have a question. I was reading back through the Pavilion/Curve construction thread and found the deep excavation pictures especially interesting.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5508/2...f76d481f_h.jpg

I assume the cement wall visible in this picture was constructed as part of the adjacent buildings basement/sub-basements? How deep would this go? Would this construction have affected the wall in any way?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues