HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 1:40 PM

The Lister was pretty cool back in the day, I was in there tons of times as a little kid before it started to go downhill by 1990. My mom was very good friends/co-worker with the lady that owned hair salon in the Lister, so I was always being dragged in there for visits I remember alot of tenants started to leave by around 1991, I can remember someone saying it was due to the fact that repairs not being done e.t.c...some of them just got fed up I guess..

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 1:42 PM
Hammer'd

That's really a shame. Seems more like we should be blaming Metrus for all of Lister's problems instead of LIUNA. Sounds like they were a slumlord in Lister's last days of function.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 7:01 PM

When the NDP where in power, the Lister was closed and they started to do inside demo in preparation so the building could be made into low-income housing. This was one of many such NDP programs across the province. Just as the building was gutted, the PC came into power and that program was cancelled! It has been sitting like that since then changing hands by speculators.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
On Guard For Thee

matt602--I have been beating the Metrus drum for ages on this Forum--they were the culprits that took a viable, healthy commercial building (save for the fact that the upper two floors had been sealed off for several years) and emptied it of it's tenants in the hope of being part of some sort of speculative land assembly that never came to pass thanks to the very deep recession which was underway in Central Canada by the early 1990s.

LikeHamilton--I don't even remember that proposal--if you're saying it was election time that was 1995 and I was already living away from the City which may be why I missed it. To the best of my knowledge ownership went from Metrus directly to LIUNA.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hammer'd

I was gonna say, I haven't seen any evidence of any part of Lister being stripped down. The original light fixtures and plumbing, drywalling, carpeting, etc still exist in pretty much every part of the Lister and the Balfour. Even desks and chairs exist in some offices. There's also vaults on floors 4 and 6. A lot of businesses must have left in a big hurry in 1995. The Mr. Sub shop still had pop bottles, bags of bread, stools and posters in it back when I first went into the Lister.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:00 PM
reilu meininki

A few more from Lister Block back in early May.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:32 PM
Closed account

Great pics. These pics make it obvious how much more suitable the scale of the Lister is for residential. Too bad.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 4:32 PM
reilu meininki

I think many of us share the same dream of retail on the bottom floor followed by residential on the remaining floors. The layout really is perfect. The L shape of the hallways already make it feel welcoming, much like an actual residential space.

A few more that I had laying around:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 6:03 PM
Hammer'd

Good stuff Bryan. I miss the Lister.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 6:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

Better say goodbye to the Firestone building. It's slated to be demolished over the Summer. It'll cost around $3 million. As you can imagine it's a big factory so it'll take time to completely demolish and tidy up the land.

Public Works will take over the site for future use.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 6:56 PM
Hammer'd

Hm, I didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up. I'll take photos as the demolition progresses.

I'm also going to be putting up a few more Consumers Glass pictures and some Lister Block photos. I'm at school right now but I'll get em up when I get home. Apologies, I haven't been exploring much lately. Things are kind of quiet these days.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 6:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Be careful security is up now. One of the main reason to demolish now was because UE.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 7:20 PM

hey matt,

do you have any exterior pictures of these buildings that I could use on HistoricalHamilton.com ?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:12 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Be careful security is up now. One of the main reason to demolish now was because UE.
Yes, unfortunately the place got very popular and as a result it became a bit of a tourist destination to those in Southern Ontario. Inevitably some people were caught there and now the security is bumped up. I've probably been there at least 30 times over the past 2 years and was never once caught, since it was basically only me going there (there was almost no security there up until now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroblaster View Post
hey matt,

do you have any exterior pictures of these buildings that I could use on HistoricalHamilton.com ?
I have exterior pictures of many, many buildings in Hamilton. If you want to post a quick checklist, I'll provide what I can.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:33 AM
Hammer'd

Alright, some Consumers Glass:

I guess these ones are technically not the usual "exploring". The owner of CG is a nice guy and let us take pictures inside.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 11:10 AM
It's Hammer Time

Firestone plant 'explorers' paradise
'City considers $3-million demolition to stop them

June 15, 2009
Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/583649

Urban explorers have been having their way with the old, abandoned former Firestone plant.

And that's making the city nervous about potential liability issues.

The explorers -- a breed of adventurers who seek thrills among structures and nooks off-limits or unseen in the urban landscape -- have been finding a way into the 552,000-square-foot plant and documenting their travels with photos.

Those pictures, along with comments about the adventures, have ended up online, which is where city staff found them a few months back.

Now, staff are asking councillors to approve moving forward on strategies to secure and demolish the plant, which sits on the same site as city recycling and composting facilities.

To properly secure the plant, which has an office tower and a flooded basement, would cost $150,000 to $200,000 annually. A demolition is estimated at $2.5- to $3-million.

"We have a responsibility to ensure that the site is secured," said Rom D'Angelo, manager of corporate buildings and technical services with the city.

"In my opinion, it is secured and these people are trespassing on that property."

On a website called Infiltration, explorers have posted photos of the inside of the abandoned plant. They depict peeling walls, an abandoned phone, old wiring and crisply-lit factories seen through the broken windows of the structure.

But while explorers may not been seeking anything sinister, the city says it's worried about its potentially liability.

Noting that many of the intruders are likely teenagers or young adults, a single injury worst-case scenario could run the city well over $1 million, a staff report says.

The former Firestone plant, located on Burlington Street near Kenilworth Avenue North, was closed in 1988. The property was bought in 1991 by Philip Enterprises Inc., but was transferred to the city as part of a negotiated settlement in 2001.

D'Angelo said there is a fence around the perimeter of the site and security patrols are doing rounds by the abandoned plant, as well as the city doing some boarding up and fencing of doors and gaps.

"The property's pretty big, it's kind of impossible to secure that, but we do have a fence around the whole property," he said.

Councillor Sam Merulla, whose ward includes the plant, said he's behind a demolition, the price tag of which would be an investment for the future.

"I think anything that contributes to a renewal of old brownfield sites and that of old industrial sites, obviously is a positive step forward," he said.

City staff are asking that $400,000 in available funds from another demolition project be used toward the former Firestone plant.

The report will be presented today at a public works committee meeting.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos