HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I agree with your first two paragraphs. RKG in Boston physically created a new buried interstate to create a flat, surface level new series of parks with a complete streets grid. The Atlanta proposal has none of this. Multiple parts are at different elevations due to the grade change on the existing interstate, and the new "grid" they plan to create has multiple overpasses so that it won't intersect with the new interstate distributor lane at every node. Look closely at the new 6th street and try to see how that will make sense for pedestrians. There are even big pedestrian bridges to keep people off the car-only streets. This will definitely lead to more cars in the area.

As for not selling a project like this without road improvements - what about the Beltline? It's a perfect example of a large-scale infrastructure project in Atlanta that involves no improvements for motor vehicles, and in many cases even slows down car traffic due to new pedestrian crossings and road diets (e.g. Irwin street crossing; Bill Kennedy).

All of these problems are fixable in the proposal.
I'm honestly surprised they wouldn't extend it to 14th (Phase 2, maybe?). The grade difference at that stretch is fairly consistent, whereas the existing scope is more varied. I can see 3rd and 8th being particularly challenging.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 1:38 PM

Quote:

As for not selling a project like this without road improvements - what about the Beltline? It's a perfect example of a large-scale infrastructure project in Atlanta that involves no improvements for motor vehicles, and in many cases even slows down car traffic due to new pedestrian crossings and road diets (e.g. Irwin street crossing; Bill Kennedy).

All of these problems are fixable in the proposal.
While I get your angle, there's a huge difference between a largely abandoned rail corridor mostly in SFH neighborhoods and one of the busiest stretches of highway on the continent that ppl will need access to.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
I'm honestly surprised they wouldn't extend it to 14th (Phase 2, maybe?). The grade difference at that stretch is fairly consistent, whereas the existing scope is more varied. I can see 3rd and 8th being particularly challenging.
Me too. That's why I've always thought capping the Connector is more difficult than many make it seem. It's not all flat land with the highway in a uniform canyon like other examples around the country.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Let's flip that around. Don't you think if the primary driver of this project was pedestrian/bike and quality of life, they could have done it a hell of a lot cheaper and more effectively without creating a new distributor system, several car flyovers that will limit pedestrian movement, and new interstate exits that will dump out right on to 5th street?

i think they have to throw a bone to the highway people if they want some of the funding to come from public sources. i do think we're getting the better piece of the pie, considering that most of the money is probably going to paying for the deck/park and not the freeway additions.

me personally, i'd prefer they rip it up and force people to use 285. (and spend whatever money is necessary there to make that viable - converting to local-express and widening where it makes sense)

Last edited by cabasse; Mar 18, 2021 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 6:54 PM

i can't believe the timeline of this - i think it will be amazing if they can pull it off, and it seems like they have the private funding to do so. this would be such an amazing attraction - all of this new public space.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i think they have to throw a bone to the highway people if they want some of the funding to come from public sources. i do think we're getting the better piece of the pie, considering that most of the money is probably going to paying for the deck/park and not the freeway additions.

me personally, i'd prefer they rip it up and force people to use 285. (and spend whatever money is necessary there to make that viable - converting to local-express and widening where it makes sense)
Flood the connector!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 8:10 AM

Is this even viable? It looks like someone drew a bunch of parks over the interstate without taking measurements. As previously said, some of the portions of the interstate are at/above grade, it's why 3rd street has a tunnel under the connector and not a bridge.

It also really irks me that they are not reconnecting Williams Street.

I think they need to combine this, "the stitch", the capitol greenway project and all points in between into one big proposal and do a cut-and-cover for the whole thing. It would also be nice to bridge that huge gap in between Atlantic Station and Midtown— and with the exposed granite and existing trees around there, maybe that area north of 16th and south of Peachtree would be the ideal location for a big park. South of there, just reconnect the grid and sell the property.

It would be expensive as hell but back in the 1930s when the economy was in the gutter, they accomplished much bigger projects because people needed the work.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:48 PM

Westside Park

“Southern Trail” bridge installed for phase 2.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/reeve...163489792-MXCk

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:13 PM

Anybody know if Rodney Cook park in Vine City is open yet? Or accessible even if it's not officially open?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Anybody know if Rodney Cook park in Vine City is open yet? Or accessible even if it's not officially open?
Rode through there about 2 weeks ago. It's definitely accessible.
Nice park. Will be even better if the statues are placed in the park.

I Also rode through Westside park near Bankhead MARTA station. It's accessible too, if you dip behind the fence.
Park is nice, but sorta underwhelming, although the quarry is beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
“Southern Trail” bridge installed for phase 2.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/reeve...163489792-MXCk
In case some people haven't been to the westside: this bridge crosses Proctor Creek just north of the new Woodson Academy. From what I can tell it will connect to Hortense north of the creek, then trail users could continue on Grove Park Place to the Proctor Creek Greenway or the new park at the quarry.

Other good news: they have barrels in place on Marietta Blvd between US-78 & Marietta St. I think that section of path with start soon. While they're working speeds should be slow because of the copious pot holes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 12:39 PM

Rodney Cook Sr. Park, Vine City.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
This is a good idea. BoA plaza has always been a building better appreciated from afar. There's very much a "non-employees are not permitted" vibe to the existing plaza.....
Here it is today. Looks like they are about through with site prep.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 5:19 PM

Good to see this becoming more accessible
The Emory tower has grown quickly also.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 12:48 AM

That's one of the highest points in central Atlanta.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:51 PM

Atlanta Botanical Garden installing new water feature

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:14 AM

Now if only we had more stuff like that in locations that are easily walkable and you don’t have to pay to enter!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:24 PM

This morning IN Olympic Park. They were opening it up as I entered.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
This morning IN Olympic Park. They were opening it up as I entered.
GREAT!! I've missed walking through this park so much.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Now if only we had more stuff like that in locations that are easily walkable and you don’t have to pay to enter!
The Clear Creek bridges near Monroe cross decent flowing water. Proctor Creek Greenway starts at the west side of the Bankhead MARTA station and the first feature is a beautiful new bridge over the creekbed granite. I got to hike the creek with Watershed Management last weekend and that granite goes for a quarter mile. Lots of little waterfalls along the way.

There are some cool paths and bridges around Lullwater Creek too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta