HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I find it so offensive that in a country with as much water as we have, the world's largest uranium deposits, and the world's longest coastline for wind still has provinces using fossil fuels to create electricity.
That is because we also have one of the world's largest fossil fuel deposits as well.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
I find it so offensive that in a country with as much water as we have, the world's largest uranium deposits, and the world's longest coastline for wind still has provinces using fossil fuels to create electricity.
The places that use coal and natural gas for electricity are the places that don't have a coast line and have (by Canadian standards) relatively little hydro resources. And the place that has a lot of uranium doesn't have the population or large urban areas to economically utilize a large, multi-reactor nuclear power station.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:26 PM

And when a lot of the power infrastructure was developed the use of fossil fuels were cheap and easily sourced. Almost all power plants that used coal, sit on a coal mine. These same plants are being converted to NG because it is plentiful and close by. In Alberta we do not have a great selection of river to damn up and that will not cost huge sums of money.

The uranium mines have there own challenges. we have legacy hazardous site now because of the mining that was done. (Uranium city and Great Bear Lake).

The solar development and wind numbers are going way up for Alberta and as the new tech is developed we will see more Geo but it will take time and $.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:28 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Did you just willfully choose to disregard my post so you could complain? or was it just coincidental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's no secret that Alberta has the dirtiest electricity generation in the country, but that's changing very quickly.

Alberta could lead Canada in wind and solar power by 2025, expert says
Another expert isn't anticipating as much growth but agrees with Rystad Energy's forecast direction
CBC News | Sept 21, 2020

Quote:
Growth in Alberta's renewable energy sector should continue its upward trend, experts say, with one forecast anticipating a surge of projects that could have the province poised to be the Canadian leader in utility-scale wind and solar capacity as early as 2025.

Rystad Energy tracks utility-scale wind and solar assets with at least one MWac (megawatt alternating current) in capacity. It forecasts that 83 per cent of the combined utility-scale wind and solar capacity built in Canada over the next five years will be in Alberta. That wouldn't include smaller renewable development such as residential rooftop solar.

With the forecast growth, Rystad analyst Felix Tan expects Alberta will have the largest combined total of utility-scale wind and solar capacity in the country by the middle of the decade, overtaking Ontario.

"Alberta is sort of playing catch up," Tan said in an interview from New York.

"We have seen a lot of capacity build out over the past two, three, four years in places like Ontario, in B.C. and Quebec."

According to the data that Rystad tracks, Alberta's current renewable capacity includes 0.1 gigawatt (GW) of solar and 1.8 GW of wind. By 2025, it expects that to grow to 1.8 GW of solar and 6.5 GW of wind.

Rystad forecasts Ontario will have about 1.8 GW solar and 5.8 GW wind in 2025.

Tan said Alberta's commitment to stop burning coal to generate electricity by 2030 "opens the door" for wind and solar to play a larger role.

He also said the province's deregulated electricity market creates a favourable environment for solar and wind development.

The market allows corporate buyers to enter into contracts with wind and solar generators directly — something a growing number of companies are expected to seek as they look to green their operations.

Full story: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...25-expert-says

One of the solar projects, Travers Vulcan Solar Farm, will produce enough electricity to power nearly all of Vulcan County and the entire Lethbridge CMA, with a combined 130,000 people. Very impressive. Construction on the 1.5 million photovoltaic panel facility began in spring and will be done next summer, the largest solar facility in the nation.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
If we wanted to be carbon neutral, the first thing we could do is to replace all fossil fuel plants with nuclear. That would allow some time to build up the wind, solar and hydro, as well as the cross grid transmission lines. You cannot just feed power fro Quebec to Alberta.

The problem is that everyone is scared of nuclear because they do not understand the realities. Both Chernobyl and Fukushima were old plants at the time of their accidents. Also, the reactors Canada uses - CANDU - are designed to fail safe.

Sadly, too many politicians and citizens want a quick change.
I've finally gotten the motivation to start watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHPp458m1cs
Unfortunately, we are now in an era where people view the government with extreme suspicion too.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:38 PM
ARTchitecture

So we have enough "red" wells within a practical distance of the population centres for geo to be viable?

Looks like only a few of the smaller centres might be close enough. Calgary is a bit too far from the hot zone, and Edmonton, Red Deer, and Lethbridge are all wayyy too far.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So we have enough "red" wells within a practical distance of the population centres for geo to be viable?

Looks like only a few of the smaller centres might be close enough. Calgary is a bit too far from the hot zone, and Edmonton, Red Deer, and Lethbridge are all wayyy too far.
One of the reasons I am watching the EVOR project. it would open up more areas.

Also all the data is from Oil wells. could be hundreds of abandoned wells that do not have the sensors.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I've finally gotten the motivation to start watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHPp458m1cs
Unfortunately, we are now in an era where people view the government with extreme suspicion too.
I would also recommend the channel Illinois Energy Prof, which goes into all things nuclear, including the economics of reactors, different types of reactors, fuel types, radiation physics, etc. Nuclear power is not as remotely as scary once you learn how they work and how they fail.

Agreed, and it's not just the government either, it's the trained professionals behind these projects that are unfortunately losing the trust of the public, thanks to sensationalist and agenda-driven media.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:53 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Um.... this is the Canadian sub-forum not the US sub-forum. It's important, as Canadians, to keep US bullsh*t from infecting Canada. What applies in the US does not necessarily apply here.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
ZIBI TO BECOME NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION’S FIRST CARBON-NEUTRAL COMMUNITY

Sustainability | October 6, 2020

ZIBI TO BECOME NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION’S FIRST CARBON-NEUTRAL COMMUNITY THANKS TO INNOVATIVE PARTNERSHIP WITH HYDRO OTTAWA AND KRUGER PRODUCTS

The Zibi Community Utility positions the region as a leader in combating climate change

A new partnership between Zibi, Hydro Ottawa and Kruger Products will put the National Capital Region on the map as a leader in combating climate change through the substantial reduction of carbon emissions using district energy for heating and cooling in the Zibi community. Zibi is being developed by Dream Unlimited Corp (TSXRM), Dream Hard Asset Alternatives Trust (TSXRA.UN), and Theia Partners.

The Zibi Community Utility is a District Energy System relying on energy recovery from effluents from Kruger Products’ Gatineau Plant for heating, and the Ottawa River for cooling. The system, developed by Zibi, will provide zero carbon heating and cooling for all Zibi tenants and residents in the 34-acre waterfront city. Zibi residents and tenants will be able to take pride in living and working in one of Canada’s most sustainable communities, and realize energy savings by using a temperature controlling application on their mobile devices.

This innovative system – the first in North America to use post-industrial waste heat recovery in a master-planned community – will make Zibi the region’s first zero-carbon-emission community.

How the system works

When completed, all 4 million square feet of residential and commercial buildings at Zibi will be interconnected through a hydronic loop that will deliver heating and cooling energy. A first in North America, low-grade heat from effluents will be recovered from the end of the tissue-making process from the neighbouring Kruger Products’ Gatineau tissue plant and injected into the new central energy plant. In the summer, heat will be rejected through chillers into the Ottawa River to efficiently produce chilled water to cool the buildings.

When it first comes online in 2021, the Zibi Community Utility plant, located on the lower level of a residential building on the Gatineau side, will be accessible to residents and visitors to allow them see the operations and learn about the innovative technology.

Zibi, a model of innovation

In addition to introducing district energy, a creative partnership with telecom company Beanfield will use the energy system pipe corridors to lay infrastructure for their fibre-optic network and offer 1Gbps symmetrical upload and download speeds delivered over a dedicated fibre connection. Through this partnership, reliable and affordable Internet, Phone, and TV services will be provided to all Zibi residents and businesses, as well as free wifi in public spaces, making Zibi one of Canada’s most technologically advanced communities.

A partnership that works for all

The Zibi, Hydro Ottawa and Kruger Products partnership is a first in the region, creating a model for zero-carbon district energy, and helping both the City of Ottawa and la Ville de Gatineau meet their climate goals.

Through this partnership, Hydro Ottawa provides more than 100 years of trusted utility experience and will work to integrate innovative clean energy solutions into the Zibi project in support of the group’s One Planet Action Plan, which focuses on zero-carbon and zero-waste development, among other sustainable benefits.
https://www.zibi.ca/zibi-to-become-n...ioNXAiEeQ_sXi0

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:36 PM

There are roughly 10 hydroelectric dams within an hours drive of Castlegar.
It has been nicknamed "Dam City" having both Dam City Helicopters and Dam City Rollers the roller derby team.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Agreed, nuclear is the answer that nobody wants to acknowledge. There is no feasible way yet to provide a stable baseload for a power grid using wind or solar. Either you have to use hydro, fossil fuels, or nuclear. Considering the vast environmental impact that hydro has, through flooding and the complete changing of ecosystems for reservoir creation, nuclear is the smallest footprint option by a long shot.

One nuclear plant close to the size of Bruce in Alberta could basically solve the entire coal/gas plant problem in the west.
I totally agree with what you state except that " nuclear is the answer nobody wants to acknowledge". I think the vast majority of Canadians have no problem with nuclear except perhaps in BC where people may be concerned due to a much higher threat of an earthquake.

The people that are the most against nuclear are, unfortunately, also the biggest mouth pieces and get the most air time, environmentalists. David Suzuki is of course the prime hypocrite in this regard. Last month Seamus O'Reilly stated that nuclear was essential for Canada to switch over to a hydrogen economy and meet net-zero by 2050. When he said it Suzuki's response was "I want to puke".

So many irresponsible environmentalist think the whole country can run on wind and solar. Of course you won't see Suzuki pushing for windmill farms in his tony Westside Vancouver neighbourhood.

These anti-nuclear environmentalists can also be blamed {which they know but will never admit} for much of our continued use of coal-fired electrical plants both here and especially in the US. Nuclear was expanding rapidly in the 70s until Three Mile Island and the environmentalist brought it to a screeching halt. This resulted in the delay and cancellation of the planned shut down of scores of highly polluting coal-fired plants.

It will be the environmentalists who will be the biggest hurdle to cross in order to bring out net-zero by 2050 due to their truly neurotic fear of nuclear.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:17 PM

Are any of you southern Ontario people like me in that when you're driving on Niagara Parkway, you usually stop off at the lookout to observe the Adam Beck power generating station and its NY equivalent on the US side? I don't particularly like looking at energy infrastructure, but hydroelectric dams in general look nice. It's visually stunning.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/a...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Niaga...728/story.html

https://energytariffexperts.com/blog...rating-station

Also, lots of people fish there.

https://www.sharetheoutdoors.com/201...ember-15-2017/

Last edited by megadude; Oct 8, 2020 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:27 PM

Gonna get a little anecdotal here. I went to fish the Welland River at the mouth of the Niagara three years ago in my inflatable with electric motor. Water is a pretty blue like the Bow River in Calgary.

As soon as I got going, I thought to myself, wow my little motor must be in a turbo mode I didn't know existed! Because I was flying down the river, so to speak. I realized that despite the glass smooth surface of the water, it was flowing fast. It then dawned on my, in my flat bottom boat and little 32lb torque motor, I am going to struggle to get back to the launch. So had to turn back and putt along for an eternity to get back. If I were rowing for instance, pretty sure I wouldn't be able to overcome the speed at which the current was flowing. I ended up fishing Lyon's Creek, that runs parallel to it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there some large turbine somewhere upstream that sucks the water toward it. And I think I read when they turn it off, the water flows the opposite way to the Niagara.

Pretty cool. But pretty unsafe too.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.05992.../data=!3m1!1e3

Also pretty cool that the Welland R. flows under both the Welland Recreational Canal and the Commercial Canal.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.99452.../data=!3m1!1e3

The river also turns from its natural brown, from farming and dirt or whatever, to the aqua blue in a very short span as it approaches the city of Niagara Falls, due to the hydroelectric infrastructure under it from what I read.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:33 PM

Alberta to set new regulations for geo thermal projects. The way the UCP has been going I expect them to screw this up. The feds were funding a couple of projects.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-energy-sector

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:50 PM

There does seem to be a change in attitude with the UCP at least, they appear to finally be starting to contemplate other growth industries, and I'm glad about that. They should have had this attitude from day 1 though, there was never any benefit to solely focusing on oil sector growth. And actively scaring off investment in renewable energy was unforgivable.

We'll see how this new regulation does. Hopefully it's good, but I'm cynical about any government that tries to reduce red tape. Red or blue team, they never can pull it off.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 5:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nuclear plants ill-prepared for worst-case scenarios, report says

Anyone remember this unhappy amber alert?

ctv

How the Soviet Union stayed silent during the Chernobyl disaster

Pembina Institute report on the benefits and risks of nuclear power in Canada: https://www.pembina.org/reports/Nuclear_web.pdf

Quote:
The study finds that nuclear power, like other non-renewable energy sources, is associated with severe environmental impacts. Each stage of the nuclear energy production process generates large amounts of uniquely difficult-to-manage wastes that will effec-tively require perpetual care, imposing costs and risks arising from current energy consumption onto future generations. The process also has severe impacts on surface water and groundwater water quality via a range of radioactive and hazardous pollutants, and results in releases to the atmosphere of a wide range of criteria (i.e. smog and acid-rain causing), radioactive and hazardous pollutants and greenhouse gases. Effluent from uranium mines and mills was found by Health Canada and Environment Canada to be ‘toxic’ for the purposes of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act in 2004.

What is particularly noteworthy about the radio-active waste streams produced at every stage of the nuclear life cycle are the timeframes over which these materials will need to be managed. Secure containment will be required for not hundreds, but hundreds of thousands of years – timeframes over which it is extremely difficult, if not virtually impossible, to predict outcomes with any level of assurance. There are no approved long-term strategies for the management of these wastes in place. The federally mandated Nuclear Waste Management Organization expects it will take over 300 years to implement its proposed “phased adaptive management” approach to containing waste nuclear fuel. As well, the effectiveness and adequacy of tailings management facilities at mine sites in Canada has been subject to serious question. There is a long history of uranium mine tailings management facility failures in Canada and elsewhere in the world, resulting in severe surface water and groundwater contamination.
Quote:
While nuclear generating facility operators argue that the levels of public exposure to radiation arising from facility operations are trivial in comparison to other sources, recent studies suggest that health impacts of low-level radiation exposure may be more significant than previously thought, and that children and infants may be particularly at risk from such exposures. Nuclear generating facilities are additionally subject to uniquely severe accident and security risks. A serious accident or incident could result in the release of large amounts of radioactive material to the atmosphere, which could be distributed over a large area. By comparison, the impacts of major incidents or accidents at facilities employing other generating technologies would be short term and largely limited to the facility site itself. It has been estimated that the monetized value of the off-site environmental, health and economic impacts of a major accident at the Darlington generating facility east of the City of Toronto, for example, would exceed $1 trillion (1991 $Cdn)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 2:44 PM

EPCOR is going to city council in Edmonton this week to have land EPCOR owns in the river valley rezoned for the installation of a solar farm. The power would be used to offset power required to operate the metro regions main water treatment plant.

Opposition is coming from environmental group opposed to industrial development in the Valley. This is on the WTP land. Land that was set aside for future expansions on the WTP. The TMK pipeline touches the SW corner of this development property.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Nuclear plants ill-prepared for worst-case scenarios, report says

Anyone remember this unhappy amber alert?

ctv

How the Soviet Union stayed silent during the Chernobyl disaster

Pembina Institute report on the benefits and risks of nuclear power in Canada: https://www.pembina.org/reports/Nuclear_web.pdf
These are typical, but completely fallible arguments against nuclear power. First and foremost, the emergency alert was issued by mistake, not due to an actual incident. It was revealed that the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre issued the alert accidentally during a training exercise, not the Pickering Nuclear Plant.

It’s really easy to use Chernobyl and Fukushima as examples, but both are examples of administrative and design failures that were a myriad of issues compounding over time. Chernobyl, to start, used RMBK reactors. These models use a solid graphite moderator (designed to absorb neutrons and control the reaction) with a water coolant, as opposed to a light/heavy water cooler/moderator design that most of the western world uses. While not inherently unsafe, the way the system is set up allows for the generation of steam as the coolant heats up, which creates pockets in the core that cannot absorb neutrons, leading to an increased likelihood of loss of control. The accident itself was caused by a series of tests with poor management and safety culture. They were lowering the power of the reactor for a test, but in doing this, the reactor became poisoned with Xenon, which builds up as a reactor shuts down. Xenon is a neutron inhibitor, which reduces power levels. The operators did not have knowledge of the poisoning, and removed the control rods to increase power, which is what caused the meltdown.

Fukushima was a completely different incident. The meltdown was entirely caused by poor design exacerbated by the tsunami. TEPCO, the authority that built the nuclear plant, made many errors that compounded. When the plant was built, it was supposed to be 30m above sea level, but it was instead built at 10m for easier access. TEPCO, in the 2000s, issued 2 internal tsunami reports that outlined concern for the safety of the plant, but management rejected the reports. In addition to this, the backup generators that keep coolant flowing to the reactors (BWR design, which uses light water as a moderator), were placed in the basement, which was prone to flooding and never addressed. When the tsunami hit, the power went out and the backup generators went on, but the basement flooded and fried the generators, causing the reactors to heat up and melt down.

In Canada we use a completely different reactor system than those mentioned, the CANDU system, which is a PWHR system that uses a pressurized heavy-water moderator and coolant system. The use of heavy water allows for use of non-enriched uranium fuel, and its design allows the moderator/coolant to naturally circulate by heat convection even without power. In addition to this, the control rods that slow the reaction are electromagnetically suspended, so if power loss occurs, the rods fall into the fuel chamber and stop the reaction. We also don’t build our nuclear power plants in geologically unstable areas, and we have a great safety culture in our nation, unlike the Soviet Union. Comparing Canadian nuclear power plants to those abroad is just not accurate.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada