HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I 100% agree Rosewood Beach/Park is gorgeous.
rosewood is nice, as are other north shore beaches like lake forest, gilson, etc., but if you really want to see some spectacular beaches a short drive from chicago, you gotta go south, not north.

nothing in chicago/northern burbs holds a candle to indiana dunes national park in the natural beauty department.

all of this is a 1-hour train ride from downtown chicago on the south shore line:

source: https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...6195e2c55.html

source: https://matadornetwork.com/read/indi...al-park-visit/

Indiana Dunes by Paul J Everett, on Flickr

source: https://statesymbolsusa.org/place/in...onal-lakeshore

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

and people don't drown in the pacific off the california coast?

or any body of water anywhere on the fucking planet where people routinely swim?

that's one of the dumbest things i've heard in awhile.
People respect the ocean, they often don't with lakes. I saw this when I still lived in New York, the drownings in and around the nearby lakes was far too common. Now, I live near the ocean and you rarely hear about it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
People respect the ocean, they often don't with lakes. I saw this when I still lived in New York, the drownings in and around the nearby lakes was far too common. Now, I live near the ocean and you rarely hear about it.
i think that's true with small lakes, but lake michigan operates more like a sea at times, with very dangerous rip currents. anyone who doesn't respect it as such does so at their own peril.

lake michigan is not inherently more dangerous than the ocean. if you're familiar with how rip currents work in the ocean, then lake michigan beaches are no more dangerous than ocean beaches.

FWIW, there were 39 drowning deaths on lake michigan (1,600 miles of shoreline) last year.

source: https://www.southbendtribune.com/new...17df2e6a9.html

nationally, there are about 3,500 unintentional drownings each year, so lake michigan, with its millions of annual beach-goers, accounts for about 1% of total US drownings.

source: https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreatio...factsheet.html

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:45 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, I don't want that mess. I can't imagine hurricane destruction in LA and SF every few years.
It’s just picking your poison. Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, and even New York and New Orleans are still standing and thriving.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
i think that's true with small lakes, but lake michigan operates more like a sea at times, with very dangerous rip currents. anyone who doesn't respect it as such does so at their own peril.
I'd argue Lake Michigan is safer than any ocean; no sharks, brain eating amoebas or any other scary shit lurking about but it's a lake...so people are more apt to go camping and pound a 12-pack. I speak from experience,,,I've puked at many a lake in New York.

Perhaps not right in Chicago but lakes tend to be seldom patrolled by rangers, police or whoever where as every beach I've been to (California, Florida, Hawai'i and here in shitty ole Galveston, they are crawling with them.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Ocean drownings happens a lot around here. At least once or twice a month someone drowns off of Queens or Long Island, and maybe once a year on the Jersey Shore. I've even witnessed a pretty big search and rescue operation in the Rockaways a few years ago.

I've read online on the local Detroit news sites that a couple of people drowned on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan this summer. It happened every once in a while, but I don't recall hearing about that as much as I do people drowning on Long Island. But there are far more people at the beaches on Long Island.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Perhaps not right in Chicago but lakes tend to be seldom patrolled by rangers, police or whoever
that's probably true.

last summer, we did our annual beach vacation over in grand haven, MI, and the main beach in grand haven is fully patrolled by life guards, but one of the days we drove up the shore a little ways to check out a beach at a state park. it was a "red flag" day (swimming prohibited!) because of large waves creating the lake's textbook rip current conditions, and the red flags were posted all over the beach, but because it was completely unguarded, literally hundreds of people were still swimming in the potentially dangerous water anyway, with nary an authority figure on the scene to tell them not to do so, nor to help them should they get into trouble. this is why people drown in lake michigan.

because it was state park, it was ostensibly an "alcohol-free" beach, so i didn't bring any beer . then i saw one of our beach neighbors pop open a can of miller lite and i went over to ask him about the alcohol policy. i was like "i thought alcohol wasn't allowed on this beach because it's state park, is that not true?" and his response was "hell, i've been coming to this beach for years, not once have i ever seen a ranger out here". and then he gave me a beer ! and this wasn't at some weird off-season time, it was early august, the very peak of summer beach season in michigan.

as, i said earlier, lake michigan has 1,600 miles of shorline. there's no way in hell to patrol all of it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 29, 2019 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:21 PM
The City

^ That story is perfect except for the Miller Lite part

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ That story is perfect except for the Miller Lite part
beggars can't be choosers.

besides, a hot summer day at the beach is a perfectly cromulent time to enjoy some watered-down macro-swill.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
because it was state park, it was ostensibly an "alcohol-free" beach, so i didn't bring any beer
You are a better man than I for following those state park rules.

I think as long as you don't blatantly flaunt the law, the rangers aren't going to harass you to check what's in your cup.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:45 PM

^City of Chicago parks and beaches are "alcohol free", but I think enforcement is pretty lenient. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think as long as you don't blatantly flaunt the law, the rangers aren't going to harass you to check what's in your cup.
that's generally been my experience at most state parks.

the whole "no alcohol" thing is typically unenforced unless you give the park rangers a reason to enforce it. if you know how to drink and mind your own business and not bother others around you, then it's usually a no harm/no foul kinda thing.

but because i had never been to that beach before, i didn't know to what extent the rule would be enforced. would they actually inspect the coolers of people headed to the beach? i would certainly hope not, but i just didn't know, and because i was with my wife and kids, i didn't want to take any chances. i will absolutely bring beer with me if i ever head back to that beach again in the future.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:51 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
because it was state park, it was ostensibly an "alcohol-free" beach, so i didn't bring any beer . then i saw one of our beach neighbors pop open a can of miller lite and i went over to ask him about the alcohol policy. i was like "i thought alcohol wasn't allowed on this beach because it's state park, is that not true?" and his response was "hell, i've been coming to this beach for years, not once have i ever seen a ranger out here". and then he gave me a beer ! and this wasn't at some weird off-season time, it was early august, the very peak of summer beach season in michigan.

as, i said earlier, lake michigan has 1,600 miles of shorline. there's no way in hell to patrol all of it.
This is one of the major reasons we (native Michigander here) had a 10 cent container deposit starting way back in 1976. So many beaches (and roadsides) were littered with bottles and broken glass. Oregon became the first to match the 10 cent deposit just a couple of years ago. Still, even given that it hasn't really kept up with inflation, I still am surprised sometimes by the amount of litter near waterways in this state given how progressive the population is supposed to be.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
that's generally been my experience at most state parks.

the whole "no alcohol" thing is typically unenforced unless you give the park rangers a reason to enforce it. if you know how to drink and mind your own business and not bother others around you, then it's usually a no harm/no foul kinda thing.

but because i had never been to that beach before, i didn't know to what extent the rule would be enforced. would they actually inspect the coolers of people headed to the beach? i would certainly hope not, but i just didn't know, and because i was with my wife and kids, i didn't want to take any chances. i will absolutely bring beer with me if i ever head back to that beach again in the future.
Yeah, and I understand the that the rules are there for a reason when the beach is part of a state or city park. It would easily get out of hand every weekend if drinking was permitted on the beach. It would be mayhem and would totally trash the beaches.

All this beer and beach talk makes me think... I love to drink and I love the beach. Drinking on the beach is possibly my favorite pastime.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:06 AM

7 Beaches That Are Some Of America's Best-Kept Secrets, According To Travelers

https://apple.news/AKZjWZ_uoTfuGhNjJAdqdcA

If TripAdvisor says so...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The best thing about this beach -- nobody there. Peaceful. I could read an entire book, under an umbrella, while listening to the small waves lap along the shore.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 10:13 PM

Although over 20% of the City of Buffalo is water, there are few actual beaches in the city limits. Times Beach existed until the early 20th century, and today it has reverted to a marshy nature preserve.

The small beaches that exist within city limits are the beach at Wilkeson Point, and Gallagher Beach, both just across from downtown on the Outer Harbor:

IMG_20190831_124724034
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_20190831_124926277
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_20190831_131854163
by bpawlik, on Flickr

The closest popular swimming beaches just outside the city limits are Beaver Island, Woodlawn Beach, Crystal Beach, and Sherkston Beach.

Untitled
by Beth Hyzy, on Flickr

Woodlawn Beach
by tribe7, on Flickr

DSCN8468 - Copy
by melissa, on Flickr

Last edited by benp; Aug 31, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 3:41 AM

We have all kinds of beaches of course. Nude beaches (Haulover), topless beaches (South Beach), family beaches, touristy beaches, resort beaches, private beaches, snorkeling beaches, water sport beaches, nearly deserted beaches, ridiculously over crowded ones and everything in between.
Hard to beat the view from Matheson Hammock (closest one to my house)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sarmu/23967567019/

Another cool feature of a lot of our beaches is how shallow the water is. Especially at low tide, In Crandon Park you can walk forever. Like this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simple_viewer/2759172774

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 1:16 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
You are a better man than I for following those state park rules.

the only place i’ve been where if they have a no alcohol rule in state parks (which is weird to me that there are places like that in the midwest) that they may actually check your cup is south carolina. the rest of the places generally only use it as a tool to control rowdy parties i presume. i’ve brought (obfuscated) oberon pony kegs to michigan beaches no oroblem...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions