HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
What do you mean in your last sentence there? Do you consider self-driving cars to be pie in the sky as well?
Hardly. Self-driving will happen in our lifetimes (depending on how old you are....). But far too many Musk fanboys think this is an excuse to simply cancel mass transport projects.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Driverless cars are pie in the sky. To a lesser extent than Hyperloop. Notice how no one is talking about them any more, despite everyone thinking they were just around the corner 5 years ago?
They aren't impossible. Just a lot further away than people think.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
So if Hyperloop works best in a straight line, and if Musk’s curved track doesn’t pan out, I wonder how the system will get from HSR stop planned near YYC airport to the planned HSR station in downtown Calgary. A straight line between the two is impossible..
Curved track is not that hard. There's maglevs with curved track now. It's just that Hyperloops haven't yet tested out curves, gradient changes, expansion joints, turbomolecular pumps, etc.

There is a way to avoid curves. Terminate where you have to curve. Which is what most Hyperloop proposals do. Alternatively, propose an insane amount of elevated or tunneled track. And they can do that because the numbers are all made up and the cost estimates don't matter for something that will never get built.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
They aren't impossible. Just a lot further away than people think.
A lot further, yes. 5 years ago, I would have said the technology would be here relatively quick but regulations would be slow to adapt. Now it appears the technology itself is harder than initially envisioned, and any impetus for regulatory movement put on the back burner.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:33 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Driverless cars are pie in the sky. To a lesser extent than Hyperloop. Notice how no one is talking about them any more, despite everyone thinking they were just around the corner 5 years ago?

The technology isn't totally pie in the sky, though it is much further away than most people seem to think. The other real hurdles will be regulatory in nature - how do we legislate what decisions a computer can and can't make? Not even talking about the big one here, but (for instance) addressing the fact you can't possibly make deliveries in a major urban centre without breaking numerous traffic laws. We'll probably have long-distance travel automatized long before local trips.

As for Hyperloops, well, I have a very elaborate bridge for sale at a great price to anyone who thinks this is happening anytime soon, if ever.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:36 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
$9.25 for a 24 minute trip worth it. Its better then 1.5 hours from the core on TTC on a good day. Its also better then the Skytrain from YVR to the core. The last thing you want after along fkight is getting crammed in a full subway with your luggage. Ive used the UP many times now and its never been more then a third full. Its a great way to start and end a day of travel.

Things are obviously different at the current moment, but the last dozen or so times I've used UP it's actually been pretty packed! A surprising number of passengers disembark at Weston Station, which maybe shouldn't be surprising seeing as it's a much faster way to get downtown for commuters in the area, at a cost comparable to GO. I usually aim my travel to leave right from work so as to maximize my vacation days though.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 2:35 PM

Transport Canada says Hyperloop is not viable right now:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...e-report-says/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Hardly. Self-driving will happen in our lifetimes (depending on how old you are....). But far too many Musk fanboys think this is an excuse to simply cancel mass transport projects.
It's a space/physics problem in dense cities. Rail transit is the way to go.

I'll take some regular, reliable speed rail (~120kph) as a first step to anything. HSR and Hyperloops are equal fantasy in Canada at this point.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:03 PM

In the globe story posted, Transport Canada saying hyper loop won’t be feasible until late 2030’s. Doesn’t sound so pie in the sky in the globe story.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:12 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The technology isn't totally pie in the sky, though it is much further away than most people seem to think. The other real hurdles will be regulatory in nature - how do we legislate what decisions a computer can and can't make? Not even talking about the big one here, but (for instance) addressing the fact you can't possibly make deliveries in a major urban centre without breaking numerous traffic laws. We'll probably have long-distance travel automatized long before local trips.

As for Hyperloops, well, I have a very elaborate bridge for sale at a great price to anyone who thinks this is happening anytime soon, if ever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, the technology today is able to create a rudimentary virtual track for driverless cars to operate on. It's highly vulnerable to breakdowns. Tens of thousands of vehicles operating on city wide, secure, virtual, street grid is generations away. The red tape would be tremendous but, the costs to implement would be an even larger hurdle.

Re: Red Tape

Most of it exists for good reason. I still cannot believe how Trump's economy is being push as genius not because it's past tense or that he inherited a high economic growth rate from Obama. He has made decisions that has bolstered economic gains. There was no long term vision in those decisions as they largely sacrificed America's future from present day economic gains. This is how he has operated his many failing business. It's all he knows.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 6:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
The UP Express is $9.25 one way. More expensive than it should be but hardly eye watering for an airport train.
Oh, I could have sworn it was much pricier when I took it after it first opened. My mistake.

Edit, Yes, it was much pricier when opened.

Quote:
Service began on 6 June 2015, operated by the Union Pearson Express division of Metrolinx. With an adult one-way fare of $27.50 cash or $19.00 with a Presto card, the service was criticized for being the most expensive airport rail link service in North America; the fare was later reduced.[13]

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Transport Canada says Hyperloop is not viable right now:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...e-report-says/
Hardly surprising. Magnovate however is very viable and the new Toronto Zoo "monorail" will be using the technology.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

HSR has been viable since the 1960s and we still haven't seen it adopted here in Canada. Hype-Loop is not coming.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:51 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
HSR has been viable since the 1960s and we still haven't seen it adopted here in Canada. Hype-Loop is not coming.
I agree HyperLoop isn't coming but then neither HSR.

Even VIA has completely given up on the idea and is now going with High FREQUENCY Rail which is nothing more than just adding a few more trains onto any given route. VIA is slow and unreliable and that is not going to change for a very long time.

Traditional HSR and HyperLoop do have one thing in common.....they are fantasies that none of us we realise in our life times.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:14 PM

The last time Canada was even in the game when it comes to high speed rail was in the sixties... after this we pretty well stopped trying.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Traditional HSR and HyperLoop do have one thing in common.....they are fantasies that none of us we realise in our life times.
HSR is only a fantasy because our politics don't want it to happen - there's no technical reason it could not be built in Canada, it would be easier to build here than many other places. Hyperloop, OTOH, is a fantasy because it's a pack of lies.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Lol! I though people had stopped believing the bullshit hyperloop lie years ago. Not the UCP!
Why does it matter? No government money going into this. I guess the Province could get stuck with a bill to demolish and dispose of anything that does get built.

The proponent is claiming to be able to generate the energy equivalent required to run the system from solar panels on the roof, which layers on even more suspension of disbelief.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The last time Canada was even in the game when it comes to high speed rail was in the sixties... after this we pretty well stopped trying.

The turbo was really cool. My father worked for CNR back when it controlled VIA (And before when CNR/CP still had their separate passenger services), and we had free access to the CNR/VIA trains. I took the turbo many times to/from Montreal/Toronto.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Aug 28, 2020 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
The turbo was really cool. My father worked for CNR back when it controlled VIA (And before when CNR/CP still had their separate passenger services), and we had free access to the CNR/VIA trains. I took the turbo many times to/from Montreal/Vancouver.
You lucky bastard. I was born just before the Turbo went out of service, but I was always fascinated by it. A kid at my preschool had a lunch box with a picture of the CN Turbo on it and I think that's where it began. I sorely wish I could have taken a trip on it... VIA's LRCs just aren't the same!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:58 PM
arf

Quote:
HSR probably isn't even coming to Canada in the next 50 years.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada