HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 5:01 PM
菠蘿油

Thanks for the photos! Lido is one of my favourite beaches. Glad the water is finally clean enough to swim there.

What's the best way to get to the spot underneath the Stonecutters Bridge? Taxi? Or is there a minibus?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 9:14 PM
Illustrator, editor

Great pics of Hong Kong, hope to come back some day! Think I passed this bridge with stunning views on a bus returning from mainland China (Guangzhou and Shenzhen). I think these false rumours of toilet paper shortage were around the world for a while, even here in Sweden, the UK and the US.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 6:05 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Thanks for the photos! Lido is one of my favourite beaches. Glad the water is finally clean enough to swim there.

What's the best way to get to the spot underneath the Stonecutters Bridge? Taxi? Or is there a minibus?
Oh I saw a lot of garbage floating around the netting at Lido. I wouldn't be comfortable swimming there just yet.

Minibus 88M from Kwai Fong takes you to both bridges' viewpoints. I have more instructions and maps on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-bridge2.htm

From the minibus stop, it is fairly long walk to the Stonecutters Bridge viewpoint, which is nothing official but just a breakwater behind a broken section of fence.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:38 PM
Hong Kong

Online shopping is making inroads in our part of the world although the traditional bricks and mortars mall still attracts crowds. This is because we live in small confined spaces. A family of 3 plus a maid have to fit into a 450 square foot apartment, so it's not great to stuff everyone within the walls after work, school, and on weekends. With convenient retail just downstairs, you don't even need an umbrella to access the restaurants, shops, and air-conditioned comfort. The mall has become part of our everyday lifestyle, an extended community space.

That's why the crowds came when the newest big mall in the city opened recently in LOHAS Park, a desolate enclave of reclaimed land in the eastern end of the city. There are harbour views, although a steady stream of garbage trucks rumble through to the nearby landfill. The first residents moved in a decade ago, but they haven't had a proper mall until now. Well, they're actually a subway stop or two away from the rest of the district, so by no means are they isolated. But by HK standards, this is an inconvenient area.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 9:41 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Very enjoyable.....as always.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:20 AM
if I sang out of tune

that density above is crazy

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:21 AM
if I sang out of tune

I looked up Lung Ha Wan rock carvings and they're believed to be bronze age:

Cape Collinson has similar ones

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 1:03 PM
BANNED

HK's natural setting is among the most beautiful in the world, and, in my opinion, is rivaled only by Rio and Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
I looked up Lung Ha Wan rock carvings and they're believed to be bronze age:

Cape Collinson has similar ones

Man this is cool. Good to see a pre-historic engraving. Is this in a public place?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
HK's natural setting is among the most beautiful in the world, and, in my opinion, is rivaled only by Rio and Vancouver.

totally agree for all three.

but while a step down, around here sf, nyc and seattle aren't too shabby of settings either at least.

anyway, great pics. i have heard of the old rock carvings, but have never seen one. a very interesting something for me to read up about.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 9:24 AM
Hong Kong

Before the new airport opened, Lantau was a quiet and empty island and the Mui Wo area was once home to 6 villages during the 19th century. Silver mining was the main activity here although only an abandoned and boarded-up cave remains today.

The old silver mine closed in the 1890s.

Heading back into town, public housing blocks line the street south of River Silver. While they don't look that tall by Hong Kong standards, this is a lowrise town after all so they look a bit out of place.

Continuing down the boardwalk towards the pier, you won't miss the Cooked Food Market, which has an outdoor dining section facing the bay. Enjoy a meal of traditional seafood and Chinese dishes here while soaking up the views.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-muiwo.htm

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:51 AM
Hong Kong

Fenwick Pier was originally a private wharf was built on Johnston Road for a steel factory. As reclamation continued, it moved twice and in 1970, the pier reached the current site. With the coast moving further north, the pier stopped receiving ships in 2011 and is now landlocked.

The Servicemen's Guides Association, a non-profit organization, provides a number of facilities within the building to serve sailors visiting the city, including money changers, shops, and an information booth. Americans were the largest source of visitors, although sailors from 13 other countries also passed through from 2001 to 2010.

Since the pier became landlocked, sailors now land further west and this site has become quiet, an oddity stuck in time near the city's most modern skyscrapers. The government has decided to redevelop the site for a fire station and has no plans to relocate the pier elsewhere. Time is running out for this building.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-fenwick.htm

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 1:54 PM
Hong Kong

Several high-profile hiking routes take you up the hills east of Shatin and down to Sai Kung. This moderately-difficult 7km journey from Wong Nai Tau to Pak Sha Wan crosses 2 major peaks, West Buffalo Hill (604m) and Buffalo Hill (606m), offering incredible views in all directions. On a clear day, you can even spot Hong Kong Island, Tseung Kwan O, and Nina Tower in Tsuen Wan, since Buffalo Hill is even taller than Lion Rock further south.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-shatin4.htm

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i was just talking about climbs up the hills around hk for the views with someone -- and here one is -- right on time lol -- great to see thanks!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:40 AM
Hong Kong

Nestled along the hillside on the way up Tai Mo Shan, Kwong Pan Tin is not just the typical lowrise squatter village of uninspiring concrete and metal shacks. Volunteers, including children and their parents, worked with villagers to beautify the village with plenty of colour. The various artworks on the buildings and public infrastructure reflected the village economy and customs, including the big pineapples that once were plentiful here.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-tsuenwan05.htm

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:19 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

that stairs walk looks like a hk version of one in valparaiso.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:48 AM
Hong Kong

The 1400-seat Empire Theatre opened in 1952 and was later renamed State Theatre in 1959. It hosted top international musicians but a rising middle class in the 1970s prompted other forms of entertainment to rise. The theatre suffered a fire in 1995 and closed for good in 1997, only to reopen 2 years later as a snooker parlour. Since then, it has been featured on the news repeatedly under fears of demolition, only to become a Grade 1 historic building in 2016.

Local property developer New World Development has purchased the site, which includes the theatre, shopping mall, and residential tower, and has pledged to preserve its history.

With dark abandoned corridors and empty shopfronts, the site has attracted explorers and historians who recalled far better days when this shopping mall was the place to be seen.

Only 1 of the south tower's 2 elevators are operational to access the residential floors above. Strangely, the 4th floor is always selected and the elevator will always stop there on the way up or down. Most residents have already moved out and their units barricaded. I went up to the 9th floor to see the theatre's unique roof arches.

More on my website : North Point's State Theatre

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 3:55 PM
Hong Kong

A walk around Choi Wan Estate is a step back in time. This public housing complex dates from the late 1970s and is a self-contained community centred around a simple mall, bus terminus, and covered walkways to protect residents from the elements.

Some of these blocks have hollow interiors to improve ventilation. Residents can open their doors and windows and let the draft in, cooling their units during the hot and humid summers.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-wongtaisin.htm

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 6:09 AM
Hong Kong

A new 300m section of waterfront promenade opened along Wanchai's extended coastline on Christmas Eve. Located east of the relocated Wan Chai Star Ferry pier and the bus terminus, it is still surrounded by construction and there is not a single tree in sight.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-wanchai4.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos