HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 1:24 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchKyle View Post
Nothing really new then whats already been discussed/displayed on this site. Was interesting to have a chance to talk with the developers though.

Here is some pics I took while walking around...

These pictures don't show up, can they be reposted?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:34 PM

How did this year's VIVA city go? I tried to follow on twitter.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
How did this year's VIVA city go? I tried to follow on twitter.
Is he your boss ?
Less than 200 people maybe 170 at the top end.
Interesting and to the point, and he believes in preserving and restoring heritage buildings. I found his USA examples an interesting description of how Americans tackle urban renewal
Talked too much about how US municipalities can add extra taxes on developments to fund infrastructure; and how New York taxes condos facing a park at a higher rate than those without the view. I don't know enough about municipal taxation across the border other than many have a sales tax.
He's polished an easy to listen to; stays away from the podium and walks amongst the crowd.
The Metro today claims HRM is on track for a $13,000,000 deficit due to plummeting construction permits and sluggish property sales.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:44 AM

I was there and told the Nova Centre guy that I'd never seen it in 3D before, and thought I'd never seen THE ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION SITE.

Yeah, because I can *totally* visualise a 16-storey building by looking at a giant hole in the ground.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Is he your boss ?
Less than 200 people maybe 170 at the top end.
Interesting and to the point, and he believes in preserving and restoring heritage buildings. I found his USA examples an interesting description of how Americans tackle urban renewal
Talked too much about how US municipalities can add extra taxes on developments to fund infrastructure; and how New York taxes condos facing a park at a higher rate than those without the view. I don't know enough about municipal taxation across the border other than many have a sales tax.
He's polished an easy to listen to; stays away from the podium and walks amongst the crowd.
The Metro today claims HRM is on track for a $13,000,000 deficit due to plummeting construction permits and sluggish property sales.
Yes; he's our General Manager. I think he's a great speaker - he learned from some of the best (like Paul Bedford). He talks about the US because much of his career was actually spent in Saint Louis and in a suburb of Washington. He worked in Toronto for a while as well, but then went south.

You would be amazed at how the taxation stuff he's talking about is actually picking up steam here in Alberta in the charter discussions. Particularly the six storey wood frame construction - which will be a big help along our corridors. He is a remarkable change from our previous GM; who wasn't very personable and felt he was the figurehead. Rollin is all about getting out and talking.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Yes; he's our General Manager. I think he's a great speaker - he learned from some of the best (like Paul Bedford). He talks about the US because much of his career was actually spent in Saint Louis and in a suburb of Washington. He worked in Toronto for a while as well, but then went south.

You would be amazed at how the taxation stuff he's talking about is actually picking up steam here in Alberta in the charter discussions. Particularly the six storey wood frame construction - which will be a big help along our corridors. He is a remarkable change from our previous GM; who wasn't very personable and felt he was the figurehead. Rollin is all about getting out and talking.
I believe he worked in Toronto for 21 years.
The taxation comments are not knew to me but we must remember that municipal taxation, and governance, is completely different south of the border. In smaller jurisdictions people can attend council meetings and engage in discussion of issues. In addition their accounting practices leave a lot to be desired.
I'm not sure about a 'Benefiits Tax' he talked about; generally that is captured in Canada through the higher value/purchase price of a condo overlooking a park such as Public Gardens. I doubt the condos at the back of the Trillium have the same cachet or price as those fronting on South Park. There are 10 unsold units in The Trillium, my guess they are the ones facing Brenton and within a few years they will be facing a new high rise which will front on Brenton.
He's animated. confident, knows the material and never dull. A week of him would be good for HRM. He asked if anyone from the province was in the room - one man leaning against a pillar timidly raised his hand. Sums up Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
I believe he worked in Toronto for 21 years.
The taxation comments are not knew to me but we must remember that municipal taxation, and governance, is completely different south of the border. In smaller jurisdictions people can attend council meetings and engage in discussion of issues. In addition their accounting practices leave a lot to be desired.
I'm not sure about a 'Benefiits Tax' he talked about; generally that is captured in Canada through the higher value/purchase price of a condo overlooking a park such as Public Gardens. I doubt the condos at the back of the Trillium have the same cachet or price as those fronting on South Park. There are 10 unsold units in The Trillium, my guess they are the ones facing Brenton and within a few years they will be facing a new high rise which will front on Brenton.
He's animated. confident, knows the material and never dull. A week of him would be good for HRM. He asked if anyone from the province was in the room - one man leaning against a pillar timidly raised his hand. Sums up Nova Scotia.
I believe Toronto used the value capture tax for things like condos facing parks; since the Toronto Charter gives them increased taxation powers.
You may just get a week of him next year. That's all I'm saying for now...but we have something cooking.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 7:12 PM

I would never trust someone with the name "Rollin". Just sayin'.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I believe Toronto used the value capture tax for things like condos facing parks; since the Toronto Charter gives them increased taxation powers.
You may just get a week of him next year. That's all I'm saying for now...but we have something cooking.
Toronto has outdated assessment values due to decades of a 'cap'. Now we have the same stupid idea.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 2:53 AM

Toronto doesn't use land value capture, which appears to be what you are describing there. Land value capture isn't part of the expanded municipal powers given to toronto by the City of Toronto act. Toronto gets money from something called the land transfer tax, which is where they tax house sales based on a certain percentage of the sale price.

A common way of funding local improvements for things like parks is done through something called section 37 funds, which is where the city charges developers to allow for higher densities. They will tell them to pay $5 million or something in exchange for higher than zoned densities. I believe they have this power with or without the City of Toronto act.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 3:42 AM
we built this city

Quote:
There are 10 unsold units in The Trillium, my guess they are the ones facing Brenton and within a few years they will be facing a new high rise which will front on Brenton.
What kind of price are they? I don't want to get into the burden argument (because the developer bears it), but I'd like to potentially buy if there are unsold units... they can't remain unsold indefinitely unless the developer is willing to wait a long time.

Trillium isn't about views, its about location... Park Victoria has better views for 1000 a month!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
What kind of price are they? I don't want to get into the burden argument (because the developer bears it), but I'd like to potentially buy if there are unsold units... they can't remain unsold indefinitely unless the developer is willing to wait a long time.

Trillium isn't about views, its about location... Park Victoria has better views for 1000 a month!
Cheapest unit - $439,900
Park Vic is almost 50 years old; lived there for several months back in the seventies.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Toronto doesn't use land value capture, which appears to be what you are describing there. Land value capture isn't part of the expanded municipal powers given to toronto by the City of Toronto act. Toronto gets money from something called the land transfer tax, which is where they tax house sales based on a certain percentage of the sale price.

A common way of funding local improvements for things like parks is done through something called section 37 funds, which is where the city charges developers to allow for higher densities. They will tell them to pay $5 million or something in exchange for higher than zoned densities. I believe they have this power with or without the City of Toronto act.
Paul Bedford explained those at the APPI conference...very unique and interesting tool. Rollin likes it too, but doesn't think we'd get something like that in Alberta. So instead we'd do a different idea of Density Bonusing. Same logic (you start out low, can go way higher in density for a bunch of improvements) but the list of things you could do would already be approved by council, versus Toronto where City Council decides if your Section 37 contribution is okay when the rezoning occurs.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Toronto has outdated assessment values due to decades of a 'cap'. Now we have the same stupid idea.
Yes exactly and it will hamper Halifax's growth for years to come. Its completely screwing Municipalities.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Paul Bedford explained those at the APPI conference...very unique and interesting tool. Rollin likes it too, but doesn't think we'd get something like that in Alberta. So instead we'd do a different idea of Density Bonusing. Same logic (you start out low, can go way higher in density for a bunch of improvements) but the list of things you could do would already be approved by council, versus Toronto where City Council decides if your Section 37 contribution is okay when the rezoning occurs.
Mostly decided by the area councillor. Adam Vaughan extracted millions from developers and the money was to be spent in the area he represented. I'll accept that rather than have the money spread around HRM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Yes exactly and it will hamper Halifax's growth for years to come. Its completely screwing Municipalities.
In the case of Halifax it is only screwing Council from even more wasteful spending. As it is they have more money than they know what to do with and are funding every useless project that comes along. I shudder to think what Mason and Watts would be promoting if the city had even more excess cash.

Perhaps the province should consider legislation to cap municipal spending.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues