HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 3:35 AM
Honored Member

Was there news or pictures from the event that can be posted?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:24 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
Last year's show was awesome-- I plan on checking it out again tonight.
Where you able to make it to the event?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:46 PM

I was there for a while, it was pretty good, I spoke to Louis Lawen from Dexel for a bit, he was interesting to talk to. I was surprised with a couple developers that weren't there. Its too bad Kings Wharf weren't able to bring their model over, that would have stolen the show.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 1:01 PM

Thank you to everyone who did attend. We had around 175 people come out. I was very happy.

When I get some pics I will post them.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 2:02 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Where you able to make it to the event?
No I wish I would've been able to though. Didn't expect work to run as late as it did.

For those who went, was there anything (aside form the CD Plus unveiling) that stood out in terms of new models/pictures/renderings?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 2:48 PM

Nothing really new then whats already been discussed/displayed on this site. Was interesting to have a chance to talk with the developers though.

Here is some pics I took while walking around...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 3:37 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchKyle View Post
Nothing really new then whats already been discussed/displayed on this site. Was interesting to have a chance to talk with the developers though.

Here is some pics I took while walking around...

Thanks for the pictures mitchkyle. I am glad to see that VivaCity was a success. Kudos to Fusion Halifax for pulling it off too

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:21 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchKyle View Post

I like the Large Street Front TD Logo. Also does anyone know if the roof feature has plans to be lit with LED lighting? In the TD Green perhaps.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Did anybody get more info about Skye?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 3:01 PM

There are more pictures posted on the Fusion Halifax Facebook Page.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5342368&type=1

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Did anybody get more info about Skye?
Yes. The balls will be blue.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:57 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
lol, I know I'm going to be the immature one here.. but that just killed me .. I couldn't stop laughing.. lol

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 4:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I was mostly wondering if they addressed the lack of confidence people have that this will ever be built.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was mostly wondering if they addressed the lack of confidence people have that this will ever be built.
I know buddy. It's all good. I'm just poking fun at what I think is an absurdly long time for a prime downtown lot to remain vacant.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:21 AM

It's that time of year again!

Fusions annual VivaCity is taking place this Wednesday evening, October 24th. Doors open at 6pm at the Halifax Railway Station. The event is happening in conjunction with one of the Build Your Centre engagement events taking place next door at the Westin. We have a list of 17 developers in attendance this year. And of what I know there will be new information from 3 of them.

We have also brought in architecture critic and Toronto Star columnist Christopher Hume as our keynote speaker. He will be talking to his impressions of Halifax.

Also on the agenda is the introduction of The Framework for Community Focused Engagement. A new tool our team has been working on for the past year that will act as a means for the young public to open up dialogue with developers and help give input on development to try and create the city that we want to see.

Come out and talk to the people making this city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post

Fusions annual VivaCity is taking place this Wednesday evening, October 24th. Doors open at 6pm at the Halifax Railway Station. The event is happening in conjunction with one of the Build Your Centre engagement events taking place next door at the Westin. We have a list of 17 developers in attendance this year. And of what I know there will be new information from 3 of them.

We have also brought in architecture critic and Toronto Star columnist Christopher Hume as our keynote speaker. He will be talking to his impressions of Halifax.

Also on the agenda is the introduction of The Framework for Community Focused Engagement. A new tool our team has been working on for the past year that will act as a means for the young public to open up dialogue with developers and help give input on development to try and create the city that we want to see.

Great work Jono. Wish I was in town to hear Christopher Hume, he's a smart dude when it comes to cities. You should try hard to get the new mayor there, he's said downtown is his priority. There are many good discussions starting to happen in Halifax: it's time the council and mayor paid attention to these kind of events.

Is there any way to follow along/ participate online?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post

If I had known in advance - I could've sent you my copy of his CBC program that he did. I bought it with the public viewing rights, so you could've shown it if you wanted...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
Great work Jono. Wish I was in town to hear Christopher Hume, he's a smart dude when it comes to cities. You should try hard to get the new mayor there, he's said downtown is his priority. There are many good discussions starting to happen in Halifax: it's time the council and mayor paid attention to these kind of events.

Is there any way to follow along/ participate online?
I believe we have someone who will be tweeting constantly. Just check #vivacity.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 7:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Are there any plans to put Christopher Hume's talk online?

There's a brief article about the talk here: http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/415...ast-potential/

This comment is on point: “It looks shabby, run down, lots of empty stores, lots of empty lots.”

Halifax has a lot of neighbourhoods that don't work correctly because they don't have enough people living in them. There aren't enough people to support shops to fill up the storefronts and offer all the goods and services that residents need. Additional density in the core would make it more attractive for businesses, would provide a better tax base for the municipality, and would help with problems like dwindling school enrolments. In the future I hope more people will stop thinking of urban infill as an imposition on their already perfect neighbourhood and start thinking about the best ways to accommodate the increased density that their neighbourhood needs to be viable. In the neighbourhoods the dialogue needs to shift away from the unhelpful building height turf wars and needs to address the question of how to best support the added density that is needed.

Last edited by someone123; Oct 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 1:05 PM

I do not believe his talk was recorded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues