HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 5:09 PM

VivaCity - Downtown Symposium

Our Urban Design team at Fusion Halifax has been busy all summer long putting together VivaCity. It will be a downtown symposium where we have invited all of the developers for the major approved, underconstrcution and proposed developments in the downtown of Halifax and Dartmouth to come showcase their work. It will be held at the AGNS on the 29th of September from 5-7pm. We have two guest speakers. Morten Schmidt of Schmidt Hammer Lassen archhitects designer of the new Halifax Central Library and Julia Rivard VP Communications Sheepdog Inc. Google's exclusive Candian Partner. The developers will all be there along with their boards to show their work. We are also having an art competition called Show Us Your Skyline where we will be displaying all entries at the event. And finally the evening will be ended with a short planning charrette that will look at the Cogswell Interchange lands hosted by yours truly.

I invite you all to come out and enjoy. There is a facebook event page as well http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...8635468&ref=ts

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 8:25 PM

Crap, I work that day... If I didn't, I would be going. Sounds interesting to say the least.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 11:35 PM

Where is AGNS?

Sounds very interesting

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Where is AGNS?

Sounds very interesting
The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia on Hollis.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:51 PM

If anyone from this conference is monitoring the postings for this board, I would highly encourage you to videotape any of the presentations and find a spot online to post them.

There are many of us like myself (I can only think of you Fenwick, but I know others who post are not in Halifax) but might be interested in seeing the presentations.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 6:38 PM
Closed account

Or get Haligonia.ca to do a story on it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
If anyone from this conference is monitoring the postings for this board, I would highly encourage you to videotape any of the presentations and find a spot online to post them.

There are many of us like myself (I can only think of you Fenwick, but I know others who post are not in Halifax) but might be interested in seeing the presentations.
There's also Worldly and I that are living outside of town right now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 9:49 PM

and me... but i dont post that often here. still i am very interested in this.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I posted that before I had coffee. I'm lucky I remembered fenwick at that point after getting 4 hours sleep.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 12:05 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Yep, I'm in the land of cowboys, wheat, oil and gas.

Halifax is far superior to any city in the west. There is very little to do out here.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 12:55 PM

Downtown of future on display
Symposium to bring clarity to jumble of new projects
By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Wed, Sep 29 - 4:54 AM

The look of tomorrow’s downtown Halifax will be showcased at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia today.

"There’s a lot happening at the moment," James Hardy, the director of Fusion’s urban development action team, said in an interview Tuesday.

Fusion, a 2,000-member organization of young Halifax professionals, is staging the VivaCity Symposium, a showcase of more than 14 development projects planned or underway in Halifax, said Hardy, a commercial appraiser with Halifax’s Altus Group.

"It’s an opportunity for the public to get information from the developers first hand."

Development company officials will display illustrations and models of their projects and answer questions about them, Hardy said.

"It will be fairly informal."

The symposium, beginning at 5 p.m., will be held in the art galley lobby.

Bill Greenwood of Halkirk Properties, which will display plans for The Alexander condo at the Keith’s Brewery site, credited Fusion for its initiative.

"It’s nice to see younger people taking an interest in development activity in our city," he said Tuesday. "It’s encouraging for us."

Greenwood said the design of the 125-unit condo is still being fine-tuned but related restoration work has begun on the portico of nearby Keith’s Hall.

Halifax’s United Gulf Developments Ltd. will provide details on its TexPark development in downtown Halifax, known as the Twisted Sisters towers, said Patrick LeRoy, the company’s vice-president of operations.

"I fully endorse the idea of providing the public with information," he said, although he referred questions on the towers to United Gulf president Navid Saberi, who couldn’t be reached.

Saberi said in April that approval delays had put construction of the towers back 18 months.

United Gulf will also showcase its Lake Banook residential development and its mixed residential-commercial plan for the old Halifax West High School site in Fairview.

Halifax’s Armour Group will provide updates on its Waterside Centre development across from Historic Properties and its 2.8-hectare Queen’s Landing project, which will extend along Halifax’s waterfront from Novascotian Crystal to the Wave sculpture, said Stuart McCrea, Armour’s leasing and marketing director.

"It’s a great opportunity," he said of the symposium. "It helps bring clarity."

McCrea said the Waterside Centre poses engineering challenges related to its foundation and its proximity to the harbour.

"We had to do some investigating," he said.

But he said the project is moving ahead while Queen’s Landing, which includes a 250-room hotel and a 120,000-square-foot office building, is still at the planning stage.

The symposium will also hear from architect Morten Schmidt of Copenhagen’s Schmidt/hammer/lassen architects and Julia Rivard, CEO of Halifax’s SheepDogInc.ca.

Schmidt, part of the design team for Halifax’s new main library on the former Halifax Infirmary site, will discuss whether Halifax can learn from Copenhagen.

Rivard, whose web service company is a Google apps partner, will talk about how positive work spaces can nurture innovation and productivity.

( berskine@herald.ca )

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 1:53 PM

My class ends at 5 so I think I can make it, little late.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 2:24 PM
Fizzix geek

Hopefully I won't miss too much of the presentations!
And I am hoping that I can figure out who some of you are so that I can put faces to names :-)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 7:34 PM
Closed account

I know no one. I'll be in a black/green track jacket if anyone feels like asking "hey, are you one of the people from the internet?"

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Sorry all, Can't make it as I'm babysitting tonight. Pictures and videos would be awesome.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:47 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
I know no one. I'll be in a black/green track jacket if anyone feels like asking "hey, are you one of the people from the internet?"
Yeah I was hoping there might be name-tags and I could figure some people out.

I was the guy walking around in brown cords and a white shirt wondering "hey, are you one of the people from the internets?" :-)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 1:10 AM

Took it in too. Guy with the big yellow backpack The presentation by the Danish architect was great. The cycling in Copenhagen was really neat to hear about. Talk about a different way of living.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 1:00 PM

Thanks everyone for coming! It was a huge success. I can't believe how many developers and people showed up. I'm hoping haligonia.ca will have some stuff up soon. They went around to almost all the developers to film a little piece with each of them.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 5:16 PM

Here is a sampling of the pics posted on Fusions Facebook page from last night. If there are more of the displays I will post them.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:36 PM
Fizzix geek

you're in luck. Haligonia is taking video of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues