HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The components being unloaded today were the platforms you use to support concrete floors after they are poured.
If that’s the case then one wonders why they didn’t just stick with the original 10 stories. I suspect the difference in cost isn’t all that much, especially considering the 6-story building has a larger foundation footprint. Unless they really did get ruffled by the tomato brigade.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 11:12 PM

So if they decided to reconsider and go higher than 6 floors, is that something they would have gone public with? They originally said that they had to go 9 floors in order for the project to be financially viable.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
If that’s the case then one wonders why they didn’t just stick with the original 10 stories. I suspect the difference in cost isn’t all that much, especially considering the 6-story building has a larger foundation footprint. Unless they really did get ruffled by the tomato brigade.
To be honest, we don't really know the design of the building being built at 1299 Main at all.

The image above was never officially released, and, although this is likely what is planned (I have it on good authority that the proponent was furious when this image was leaked online), the plans may have changed, or may not be entirely accurate.

The proponent is under no legal compunction to restrict the building to six storeys. This is just a promise he made to area residents. In addition, the financing arrangements may have changed since this rendering was leaked too.

It is as much a mystery as any typical development in secretive Dieppe, and much more so than the usual development in either Moncton or Riverview.

In any event, construction is definitely imminent, and I expect another tower crane in the city before the end of fall. Actually, there may in fact be two new tower cranes by the end of fall if the ASEC project proceeds as planned.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
To be honest, we don't really know the design of the building being built at 1299 Main at all.

The image above was never officially released, and, although this is likely what is planned (I have it on good authority that the proponent was furious when this image was leaked online), the plans may have changed, or may not be entirely accurate.

The proponent is under no legal compunction to restrict the building to six storeys. This is just a promise he made to area residents. In addition, the financing arrangements may have changed since this rendering was leaked too.

It is as much a mystery as any typical development in secretive Dieppe, and much more so than the usual development in either Moncton or Riverview.

In any event, construction is definitely imminent, and I expect another tower crane in the city before the end of fall. Actually, there may in fact be two new tower cranes by the end of fall if the ASEC project proceeds as planned.
What is the ASEC project?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
What is the ASEC project?
Atlantic Science Enterprise Centre. Basically a massive expansion and redevelopment of the current DFO Gulf Fisheries HQ on Universite Ave. There is a project specific thread for this development.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:22 PM

Sorry for the ̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶o̶ potato quality, I took this during a red light but here's 1299 Main Street under an hour ago.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 6:27 PM

I emailed the developer and asked if he had anything I could share with y'all. He sent me that rendering. Not sure why he would be furious. There was also no promise made to the local residents to do anything. The decision was a financial one according to the email I received. Things likely changed I guess.

Either way - there are concrete pouring platforms on the site right now, so It's definitely not a wooden building. Ergo: the rendering above is most likely not what the building will look like - apart from the inevitable shiplap aesthetic (I pray I am wrong).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTeeOH View Post
I emailed the developer and asked if he had anything I could share with y'all. He sent me that rendering. Not sure why he would be furious. There was also no promise made to the local residents to do anything. The decision was a financial one according to the email I received. Things likely changed I guess.

Either way - there are concrete pouring platforms on the site right now, so It's definitely not a wooden building. Ergo: the rendering above is most likely not what the building will look like - apart from the inevitable shiplap aesthetic (I pray I am wrong).
I'm still curious - if the developer has changed his mind and intends to go taller than 6 floors, would they have released this info to the public? Or would they just go ahead and build it, surprising everybody. I'm still holding out faint hope that they'll go back to their original plan.

After all, they did state at the time that they had to go 9 floors to make the building financially viable.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 6:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm confident that this is what the building will look like (barring any relatively minor last minute changes).

As for the proponent (or one of the company executives ) being furious, I stand by that comment. I have it on very good authority. As can often happen, not everyone in a company has the same approach to secrecy, and, in this case, I imagine one person had no idea the second person had released the render, hence the fury. It's all good. There was a dust up for a couple of days, and, then, to the best of my knowledge, all was forgiven and things went back to normal.

I am also confident the building will be reinforced concrete. I think they briefly explored the possibility of wood frame construction, but, they obviously have discarded this idea.

I am also pretty sure the final floor count will be six and not ten, no matter how much people on this forum would wish otherwise. I think this decision is more financial rather than related to the health of any tomatoes.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 11:01 AM

That's unfortunate. With the drop in floors, I was hoping they wouldn't cheap out on the look of the building, and from that rendering, it appears as though they are.

At the very least, this looks better than the dilapidated garage and unsightly billboards that once graced this lot.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
That's unfortunate. With the drop in floors, I was hoping they wouldn't cheap out on the look of the building, and from that rendering, it appears as though they are.

At the very least, this looks better than the dilapidated garage and unsightly billboards that once graced this lot.
That's how I'm looking at it too. It's a real shame that they've decided to build just a 6 floor building on one of the most significant downtown corners in the city. But I guess it's better than what's there now. A sad way to look at it, I know.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:38 PM

Ok, so this building is 5 units wide from the center corner (counting the number of balconies). Why not cut the last 2 units on each end(wing) and add them on top? This would add 2 or 3 floors upwards making it a 8 or 9 story building. I would imagine the cost would be the same. This would give more ground clearance by reducing the building's footprint for parking, green space, garden, benches, bicycle parking, etc.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Ok, so this building is 5 units wide from the center corner (counting the number of balconies). Why not cut the last 2 units on each end(wing) and add them on top? This would add 2 or 3 floors upwards making it a 8 or 9 story building. I would imagine the cost would be the same. This would give more ground clearance by reducing the building's footprint for parking, green space, garden, benches, bicycle parking, etc.
There are significant additional costs to crossing the "tall building threshold" of 6 floors. Pressurized stairwells, etc.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 9:47 PM

They started work on the underground electrical project for assumption and westmorland st

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 9:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of suits with hard hats on were seen today, talking in an animated manner at the presumed Baton Rouge site next to the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

FWIW, there was a CCD construction card from earlier this year for a $4M restaurant project in the city with an anticipated start date of September.

A coincidence I wonder???

Now mind you, circumstances always change and nothing is a sure thing until shovels are in the ground, but I remain hopeful we may see work begin sometime this fall.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:15 PM

Anyone know what is going on at the old Ultramar location on the corner of west Main and Milner? Looks like they removed the old gas tanks from the site but the building is still there and boarded up.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 3:59 PM

The old "new York sub" on john st. was being cleaned/worked on today, any idea if there's any plans for that building?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 12:01 AM

Maybe the two Tannery places should have been 10 floors.
Camera lens wasn't wide enough to capture the Dominion Gov building, Crowne and Hyatt.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 1:30 AM

I’m curious if this new Liberal GST plan for rental units will help some developers in the city take the next step forward and start construction!?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I’m curious if this new Liberal GST plan for rental units will help some developers in the city take the next step forward and start construction!?
If the province follows suit and removes the provincial sales tax component it most definitely will. Several provinces have already committed to doing so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces