HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I actually think the podium, the part that meets the street and relates to neighbors, is the best part of it. Not great, of course, but acceptable. It's the tower I hate. New York is building a 42 story jail--I'll have to go check it out because I suspect it's more attractive.
It actually reminds me a lot of LA’s central jail:

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 3:16 AM

75 Howard

View through the fence.

75 Howard Street

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:29 PM
Surrounded by Nature

[QUOTE=Jerry of San Fran;8584650]View through the fence.[/^QUOTE]

Please put this in the project’s thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=203333&page=5

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:04 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A Year After SalesForce Tower Opened, San Francisco's Skyline Still Changing

Video Link

Quote:
Wilson Walker reports on continuing changes to San Francisco's skyline in the wake of SalesForce Tower (5-29-2019)

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:57 AM

This one has been taking forever. Feels like it's been just as long as 333 Fulton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Surprised as to how nice this nearly completed building looks.

Market & Church Streets

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:38 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Worth the wait, though. It looks worlds better than 99.3% of LA's 7-story buildings built or under construction for the last 10 years.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
On Monday at 8:30 a.m., the first patient of Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation’s Van Ness and Geary medical office building will stroll through the sliding front doors . . . .

The outpatient facility will house specialty practice areas including advanced organ therapy and transplant services, women’s services, neurosciences and cardiovascular services, among others.

Sutter will occupy about 150,000 square feet of the 250,000-square-foot, 10-story facility at 1100 Van Ness Ave. owned by Pacific Medical Buildings. Spanning five floors, the space will be home to more than 120 physicians — affiliated with SPMF, CPMC and the Palo Alto Medical Foundation — as well as 200 clinicians, technicians and administrators working as support staff.

Across the five floors, there are 143 exam rooms with a maximum capacity of an estimated 2,500 patients a day, along with scores of open desk space, conference rooms, staff lounges and kitchens, waiting areas and lobbies on each level.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...ExS08ifQ%3D%3D

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:37 PM

Taken last week:

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 5:27 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
This one has been taking forever. Feels like it's been just as long as 333 Fulton.
I walk by here at least a few days a week and have not seen any work on it since December 2018.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 6:09 PM

33 Tehama at night

===
1500-1580 Mission St.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 11:57 PM

I haven't seen any previous mention of this project at 950 Gough but it's thoroughly under construction--crane has been up for some time and I watch it moving about every day. Didn't know much about the project until I had a moment to look it up (I do remember the church burning, though):

Quote:
24 years after devastating fire, Saint Paulus Lutheran Church to return to Gough & Eddy
Tue. January 22, 2019, 10:06am
by Carrie Sisto

Nearly 25 years after the historic Saint Paulus Lutheran Church burned to the ground, it's finally returning to the corner of Eddy and Gough streets, as part of a new development. . . . .

Maracor has purchased the land on which the church once stood for a residential development, with a promise to provide the church with its own deeded 10,000 -12,000 square foot commercial condominium on the ground floor.

It’s a venture intended to meet the needs of both the Saint Paulus congregation and the city of San Francisco, pastor Daniel Solberg said.

95 residential condominiums, 11 of them below-market-rate, will be constructed on the site as well.

Constructed in 1892, the Gothic cathedral that formerly dominated the corner was destroyed in a 1995 fire. The five-alarm blaze displaced 100 people, many of whom resided in two apartment buildings and a women's shelter that were located on-site . . . .

(The old church)

(The new project)

https://hoodline.com/2019/01/24-year...-to-gough-eddy

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:05 AM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:33 PM

Re: 950 Gough - From the renderings the new development might look quite nice, but that old gothic-style cathedral was incomparably beautiful.

Fun fact: The old cathedral featured in the background of several shots in the movie Vertigo.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 5:35 PM
heavy user of walkability

speaking of streetscape improvements, the northern sections of Second St (which actually meet the Folsom project) looked mostly complete (as of last weekend)

looking north towards Mission

north from Howard

the little alley leading to the transit center was almost done

new associated mid-block crossing

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
SF buys South Van Ness site, turning it from market-rate to affordable housing
J.K. Dineen
June 11, 2019 Updated: June 11, 2019 4 a.m.

A Mission District property that was at the center of a fight over neighborhood gentrification will become the site of 100 percent affordable housing now that the city has agreed to buy the parcel for about $18.5 million.

The Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development is in contract to buy 1515 South Van Ness Ave., a former electrical contracting warehouse that had been on track to be replaced by market-rate apartments. Instead, the property will now accommodate about 150 housing units affordable to low-income families . . . .

Along with the so-called “Beast on Bryant” and “Monster in the Mission,” 1515 South Van Ness Ave. — detractors called it the “the Mess on South Van Ness” — was targeted by activists who argued that upward pressure from market-rate development leads to displacement of low-income residents and the businesses that serve them.

Eventually developer Lennar Multifamily was able to win political support by agreeing to make 25 percent of the units affordable, creating discounted space for artists and makers and contributing $1 million to a cultural district formed to preserve the neighborhood’s Latino heritage and community.

But the concessions, combined with rising construction costs, eventually made the project so costly that it no longer made sense for the developer, according to market sources. Instead of breaking ground, Lennar decided to sell.

San Francisco construction costs are up more than 50 percent since 2015, and recently edged out New York City as the highest in the country. A unit of affordable housing costs between $600,000 and $800,000 to build, depending on building type and materials . . . .

The project is the eighth affordable housing site that San Francisco has acquired over the past four years in the Mission District, which consistently has had one of the city’s highest eviction rates. Combined, the projects will bring more than 1,000 affordable units to the neighborhood. Projects already under construction include 157 units at 1950 Mission and 143 units at 1990 Folsom St. . . . .

The project will likely require about $45 million in city funds. The money would come from the housing bond, most likely to be for $600 million, slated for the November ballot. If the bond passes, the project would start in about three years. If it doesn’t pass, it may take longer . . . .

Mission District market projects that have been approved and then put on the market before construction started include a 75-unit development at a former laundromat at 2918 Mission St., and a 117-unit complex at 2675 Folsom St. from which developer Axis Development abruptly walked away after winning approvals in 2018 . . . .

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...m-13966738.php

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
This. How many more times will this happen before both the city as well as the neighborhood groups realize that everyone loses when projects are unnecessarily delayed.

We could have already had hundreds of units of housing (albeit market rate) built and occupied; instead, these lots will take years (if not a decade) to get built. And when they finally are built, they'll end up being cheaply designed, poorly constructed, and ineffective in combating housing costs and displacement.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
A Year After SalesForce Tower Opened, San Francisco's Skyline Still Changing

Video Link
Actually reminds me of something I forgot to post. It's a video showing (roughly) the buildings in downtown over time as they were constructed. It's not quite current as it doesn't show much past the mid 2010s, but it's still cool.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:05 PM

A couple of projects that are easy to forget:

Source all: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...eXVwc2pPIn0%3D

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 9:31 PM

Thank you for the reminder, Pedestrian!

I'll be in the city next week and hopefully I will get some good photos of the development around the area.

I'm also pretty excited for the Salesforce Transit Center to reopen to the public on July 1st at 6am. I'll be taking a walk-through video like last time so you guys can see if there's a difference in the park over the past year that it's been closed. Hopefully the gondola is working now too. I'll try to see if I can get enough footage to make a montage too.

Walkthrough:
Video Link

Montage:
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 5:23 PM
heavy user of walkability

in case anyone missed it, 1028 Market is getting going finally, to break ground in August

when 1066 Market got going next door last year, I was still thinking the developers were brave to push into a rough patch of the city, but with this new one at its back to solidify the bridge back to 950-974 Market, we (and the new residents) may see a change in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations