HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:36 PM
arf

^That the lockout will save them? No idea. $5 million tops, but they are obviously thinking his size and skills are better than his stats have said. He's no slouch, but $7+ a season is a pretty big contract. Lucic doesn't even make that much.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Apparently it was Trouba's agent Kurt Overhardt that told the Jets that Trouba would only sign an extension in a couple of cities (NYR was the main one). Otherwise he would just sit out if traded somewhere else.

The Jets really had no move - glad to be rid of Overhardt.
How does a player get to call the shots like that? And don't you drive your value down if it is well known you are only willing to go to one or two teams? How do the NYR not offer a lowball contract and tell Trouba he can always go back to Winnipeg if he doesn't like it?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:52 PM
arf

Because its the Rangers.

I commented on a holdout player previously and people dismissed it as a one-off and not at all common situation. My thoughts were it was just the tip of the iceberg for what the future of contract negotiations and holdouts will be. Hello Trouba. I hope I'm wrong.

This offseason is setting up to be terrible for cap space, but excellent for mediocre player salaries and the next CBA come around is shaping up to be an epic lockout. Time to hop on the basketball bandwagon because I'm thinking its a season and a half of no hockey.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Because its the Rangers.

I commented on a holdout player previously and people dismissed it as a one-off and not at all common situation. My thoughts were it was just the tip of the iceberg for what the future of contract negotiations and holdouts will be. Hello Trouba. I hope I'm wrong.

This offseason is setting up to be terrible for cap space, but excellent for mediocre player salaries and the next CBA come around is shaping up to be an epic lockout. Time to hop on the basketball bandwagon because I'm thinking its a season and a half of no hockey.
I am totally okay with that. The Moose and Ice can get me through a winter or two no problem. My wallet would appreciate the time out from the Jets.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How does a player get to call the shots like that? And don't you drive your value down if it is well known you are only willing to go to one or two teams? How do the NYR not offer a lowball contract and tell Trouba he can always go back to Winnipeg if he doesn't like it?
I think the GMs in the league know they have to be somewhat fair and honest as trades are generally a two way street, and they want to make sure they aren't sabotaging future deals with certain teams based on previous bad blood.

A signed Trouba is worth more than what the Jets got in return. Could the Rangers have played hard ball? I guess so. But, they really didn't give up much as it was. Just returned back a surplus first round pick.

The Jets, I think, are happy enough to be rid of his salary, possible locker room issues and definitely his agent.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:23 PM

^ I wasn't thinking so much the trade as the longer-term prospects...assuming that NYR is looking at Trouba as anything more than a season-long rental.

I think the trade wasn't bad, all things considered. All the fancy stats guys raving about how Chevy got fleeced and using bar charts to prove Pionk is worse than cancer are missing the point that no one was going to give the Jets much for a guy who already had one foot out the door anyway.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:29 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I wasn't thinking so much the trade as the longer-term prospects...assuming that NYR is looking at Trouba as anything more than a season-long rental.

I think the trade wasn't bad, all things considered. All the fancy stats guys raving about how Chevy got fleeced and using bar charts to prove Pionk is worse than cancer are missing the point that no one was going to give the Jets much for a guy who already had one foot out the door anyway.
His trade return was basically standard 1 year or trade deadline rental.

If he intends to stay and sign long term with NYR, they got him for an absolute steal.

And the Jets have Trouba and his agent to thank for that. I think it goes without saying that at the pre-draft interview, and all future trades, the "who is your agent" question will be first on the Jets list.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:56 PM
Near Generational

Corey Perry bought out by the Ducks.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:11 PM

The Flyers just signed Kevin Hayes to a 7 year $7.14M contract. What the hell?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:15 PM

NHL.com

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:20 PM

In other news, the Canucks have re-signed Alex Edler to a 2 year contract at 6 million per. Good signing given the term.

Hughes is going to be an impact player right away, so if we can add another good defenceman through free agency (without stupid money and term), we might be a play-off team.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:24 PM

Oh yeah!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:39 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
When is the right time to shut down this thread and begin a new one? Awards are over. Do we consider the draft to be part of this season or the beginning of next season (new hope for teams). I'd argue we should start a new thread, the 2018-2019 season is over.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
When is the right time to shut down this thread and begin a new one? Awards are over. Do we consider the draft to be part of this season or the beginning of next season (new hope for teams). I'd argue we should start a new thread, the 2018-2019 season is over.
Start a new one. For me the draft and free agency are the beginning of the new season.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:58 PM
Near Generational

Agree...

Lock it up.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada