HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 3:43 AM

[Dartmouth] The Avalon & Cypress (27-55 Hamlet Lane) | 34/30 M | 10/9 FL | U/C

Another new proposal for Dartmouth. This one is for Green Village Lane which is accessed off of Portland Street across from Penhorn Mall.

Case 18255 Details

Proposal: Connor Architects and Planners are requesting increased residential development on the subject lands in the form of three new multiple unit buildings. Due to changes in market demands over the past 13 years, the developer no longer intends to proceed with the development of the remaining approved, but unconstructed, second building of the commercial plaza or the five self-storage buildings. The request is for an increase in the number of dwelling units and residential density beyond the provisions of the existing development agreement and the Commercial Development District (CDD) policy. The proposal also includes a request to amend the MPS so as to not apply Policy H-3(AA), requiring the establishment of a Public Participation Committee, when considering development on subject lands. Source: HRM Planning

Renderings show three buildings of 10fl/34m, 10fl/30m, and 5fl/19m.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 6:00 PM

So I can see that everyone is very interested in this project.

I think this is a mistake but HRM Planning now has two Public Information Meetings listed for this project on October 23rd & 30th. Both will be at 7pm at 530 Portland Street (Units 4 & 5 Evergreen Village).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 6:18 PM

The proposal is good in the sense of more density, near what could be a future transit oriented development village - good. The design, doesn't exactly have me jumping out of my chair in excitement.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The proposal is good in the sense of more density, near what could be a future transit oriented development village - good. The design, doesn't exactly have me jumping out of my chair in excitement.
I agree...it strikes me as the same bland cookie-cutter crap going up everywhere else

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 4:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jringe01 View Post
I agree...it strikes me as the same bland cookie-cutter crap going up everywhere else
Yeah, except most buildings of this style in the city are about half this height or less. The added height actually makes it look even worse. Didn't think it was possible

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 5:10 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
So I can see that everyone is very interested in this project.

I think this is a mistake but HRM Planning now has two Public Information Meetings listed for this project on October 23rd & 30th. Both will be at 7pm at 530 Portland Street (Units 4 & 5 Evergreen Village).
I didn't notice this before. It looks like quite a substantial project but the colours and low quality of the renderings make it look rather nondescript. However, in my opinion it has some interesting architectural features such as the stepped roof design. If the colours are chosen properly then it might become an eye-catching development.

Here is a Google Maps link - https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=530+Po...gl=ca&t=h&z=16.

Here is a link to the renderings document - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...dBuildings.pdf. I extracted a couple of images below:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 10:43 PM

Looks like the proposal isn't too popular with the neighbours:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/communi...out-of-meeting

Quote:
One resident said the format of the public consultation didn’t make sense.

“This exercise of looking at parks and trees and eyesight views is premature,” he said. “Nobody as this table is going to sit down and tell you what they want, because they don’t want anything. We don’t want to talk about sidewalks, we want to talk about how we can stop this project.”

Another resident echoed that sentiment.

“It’s pointless to stay,” she said. “It’s not a done deal, I realize that, but why make us participate in something that we don’t want? We want a forum where we can state our opinions, not this.”

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 12:04 AM

Does anyone know who the developer is? Bets on it being UG?
Public engagement like that isn't fun - for anyone. When the elephant in the room takes over the discussion, it's sad. But ultimately, I think these residents need to realize that whether they torpedo this application or not - the Regional Centre Plan Identified this area as an opportunity site already. So whether they like it or not, there was change identified for their area.

So...it can be this proposal or a blank site for a few years and then a proposal they have no ability to influence or have a chance to speak about.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 9:54 PM

Unfortunately, the Centre Plan hasn't been approved, and I've heard that it's hit some hurdles. Not too sure about the specifics.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 3:17 PM

Staff are recommending approval of this proposal.

Harbour East Community Council Staff Report

A nice part of this project will be the addition of sidewalks on Green Village Lane and Portland Street.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 10:08 PM

MPS/LUB amendments for this project were just approved by Regional Council. The development agreement will return to HECC in coming months.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 6:01 PM

This project is moving forward. A non-substantive amendment to DA have been requested.

"The proposal is for additional time to complete development of the site at 19 Hamlet Lane. Most of the buildings in the overall development have been constructed. Municipal construction permits have recently been issued for a 90-unit residential building on the abutting site at Civic 22 Hamlet Lane. The subject site at Civic 19 contains two self-storage buildings and the remainder of the parcel to the south is vacant. In 2015, this site was approved for a residential apartment building containing 148 units. The applicant wishes to extend the completion date by two years to provide enough time to complete the 148-unit building (by March 17, 2024). The only remaining undeveloped site within the area covered by the DA is a HRM-owned institutional site on the southwest side of Green Village Lane, which was acquired as a possible fire station site."

Case 23934 Details

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 10:05 PM

22 Hamlet Lane is under construction. This is the 10 FL / 90 UNIT building.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 12:33 PM

Nearly 10 years in gestation.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 4:11 AM

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 4:12 PM

The building permit has been submitted for the other multi-unit;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Submitted - 57 HAMLET LANE, DARTMOUTH - $29'600'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 148 Units - 10 Floors - New construction mutil-residential construction permit 148 units

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 6:28 PM

Is this one still going with the stepped-back tiers look from the rendering of 10 years ago? It would seem to be a waste of an opportunityfor more units in the same foot print.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 4:05 AM

The Avalon - 22 Hamlet.

Pinnacle Construction

and The Cypress - 57 Hamlet

Pinnacle Construction

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 6:15 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Avalon - 22 Hamlet.

Pinnacle Construction

and The Cypress - 57 Hamlet

Pinnacle Construction
They really shook it up with this design and material selection.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth