HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
no its good, just disappointing that its for lease banners and not X coming soon banners.. Esp with the Urban Outfitters rumors.
Yep. Some company just needs to take a chance on that area. They'll be pleasantly surprised.

I find the Starbucks on Barrington is constantly packed when I'm there. No reason those people would not also like to shop nearby, and not at a strip mall or that ugly concrete sprawl nightmare Dartmouth Crossing.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Yep. Some company just needs to take a chance on that area. They'll be pleasantly surprised.

I find the Starbucks on Barrington is constantly packed when I'm there. No reason those people would not also like to shop nearby, and not at a strip mall or that ugly concrete sprawl nightmare Dartmouth Crossing.
I quite like Dartmouth Crossing, easy to get in and out and around. Good options for shopping and entertainment. I much prefer it over Bayers lake.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I quite like Dartmouth Crossing, easy to get in and out and around. Good options for shopping and entertainment. I much prefer it over Bayers lake.
Easy to get around? Surely you'e joking?

You can't mean walking, because it's just a bunch of 4 lane highways and twisting concrete roads with steep embankments that any pedestrian or family would be guilty of gross negligence if they tried to walk around, or cross.

You can't mean driving, because it's this twisting maze of incomprehensible interlocking roads, with hidden driveways and blocked parking lots and surprise dead ends.

Do you use a Jetson-style flying car? That might make it easy to get around.

Dartmouth Crossing is a downtown killing urban sprawl nightmare that could only be improved if a meteorite crashed into the middle of it tomorrow, creating a deep, soulless, crater.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Dartmouth Crossing is a downtown killing urban sprawl nightmare that could only be improved if a meteorite crashed into the middle of it tomorrow, creating a deep, soulless, crater.
I'm not certain, but I don't think he likes it.

I don't like it either but mostly because of the intersections with what seem to be dumb traffic lights. It is impossible to get from the entrance off the 118 to Home Depot in any sort of timely manner.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:

99 percent of the time, I never even think about Dartmouth crossing.

1 percent of the time (when I'm there for some big-box furniture store or something), this statement is exactly how I feel about it.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:

You can't mean walking, because it's just a bunch of 4 lane highways and twisting concrete roads with steep embankments that any pedestrian or family would be guilty of gross negligence if they tried to walk around, or cross.
Can't agree with this. I've walked around it and found it easy to negotiate. Intersections have signals, easy to figure out. Actually a good place to walk for exercise if you are so inclined.

Quote:
You can't mean driving, because it's this twisting maze of incomprehensible interlocking roads, with hidden driveways and blocked parking lots and surprise dead ends.
Disagree. One visit is all it takes to figure it out. The second time around is a breeze. Much easier than trying to figure out driving and parking around downtown - I don't really like making that comparison but it's the truth.

Quote:
No, but I've always wanted one. Would be a nightmare if everybody had one though.

Quote:
Then it would match the downtown with all its empty lots waiting to join more empty lots as they continue to tear down heritage buildings.

Seriously, does anybody here actually feel that Dartmouth Crossing competes with the downtown for shoppers? I don't think a whole lot of folks from Westphal/Woodlawn would be inclined to travel all the way downtown with no parking and poor bus coverage to shop in the downtown. Not to mention that there is not enough real estate to house a large box store that has become the norm in retail across North America. If they did build such a store in the downtown, the outrage here would be phenomenal. I think blaming Dartmouth Crossing for a declining downtown shopping situation is lame at best (besides, it's not really on the decline).

Blame lack of downtown residential for the lack of shopping downtown - a situation which is steadily improving.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is impossible to get from the entrance off the 118 to Home Depot in any sort of timely manner.
This I agree with. The way it has been made to interact with the 118 is somewhat counter-intuitive. You have to know where you're going (i.e. have taken the wrong exit in the past) to really get it right.

By the way, take the second exit down by Toys R Us, make a left at the lights and it'll take you right to Home Depot...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This I agree with. The way it has been made to interact with the 118 is somewhat counter-intuitive. You have to know where you're going (i.e. have taken the wrong exit in the past) to really get it right.

By the way, take the second exit down by Toys R Us, make a left at the lights and it'll take you right to Home Depot...
Can't quite follow mark's directions. Coming down Woodland, I take the Shubie exit off the 118, to cross over the 118 to Wright Ave. Go north and at Finlay turn left, it turns into Lamont at Commodore, and Lamont takes you straight to Home Depot, after leaving Home Depot I take Gale to Commodore and turn right to exit the park. I find the combination of lights and four way stops is quite efficient, much better than all the lights at bayers lake.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Can't quite follow mark's directions. Coming down Woodland, I take the Shubie exit off the 118, to cross over the 118 to Wright Ave. Go north and at Finlay turn left, it turns into Lamont at Commodore, and Lamont takes you straight to Home Depot, after leaving Home Depot I take Gale to Commodore and turn right to exit the park. I find the combination of lights and four way stops is quite efficient, much better than all the lights at bayers lake.
Sorry, talking about coming in from the other direction off the 118, coming in off Commodore rather than Wright.

Yes, coming the other way, your directions are the easiest way to get there - totally agree. Easy as pie.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry, talking about coming in from the other direction off the 118, coming in off Commodore rather than Wright.

Yes, coming the other way, your directions are the easiest way to get there - totally agree. Easy as pie.
I find it easier to get to HD from Dartmouth Downtown than it was getting to the old HD on Baker drive.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 7:26 PM

I totally disagree. I think HD got snookered when they picked that location, thinking there would be an exit from the Circ that would put traffic right outside their door. That never got built. It needs one.

The directions:

"Coming down Woodland, I take the Shubie exit off the 118, to cross over the 118 to Wright Ave. Go north and at Finlay turn left,"

After you wait at a red light to cross over the 118 and another to turn left.

"it turns into Lamont at Commodore,"

After encountering two additional prior signalized intersections, of which you are virtually guaranteed to hit a red light at either one or both, and another at Commodore.

"and Lamont takes you straight to Home Depot,"

After negotiating a very busy 4-way stop and another stop-sign intersection.

" after leaving Home Depot I take Gale to Commodore and turn right to exit the park."

After negotiating not one, not two, but 3 stop-sign intersections and another set of traffic signals.

"I find the combination of lights and four way stops is quite efficient, much better than the lights at bayers lake."

I couldn't disagree more. The intersections within DC are atrocious. Hardly "easy as pie".

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 8:10 PM

They should put in a bunch of traffic circles to eliminate the stop signs.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 9:58 PM

Quote:
I totally disagree. I think HD got snookered when they picked that location, thinking there would be an exit from the Circ that would put traffic right outside their door. That never got built. It needs one.

The directions:

"Coming down Woodland, I take the Shubie exit off the 118, to cross over the 118 to Wright Ave. Go north and at Finlay turn left,"

After you wait at a red light to cross over the 118 and another to turn left.

"it turns into Lamont at Commodore,"

After encountering two additional prior signalized intersections, of which you are virtually guaranteed to hit a red light at either one or both, and another at Commodore.

"and Lamont takes you straight to Home Depot,"

After negotiating a very busy 4-way stop and another stop-sign intersection.

" after leaving Home Depot I take Gale to Commodore and turn right to exit the park."

After negotiating not one, not two, but 3 stop-sign intersections and another set of traffic signals.

"I find the combination of lights and four way stops is quite efficient, much better than the lights at bayers lake."

I couldn't disagree more. The intersections within DC are atrocious. Hardly "easy as pie".
Good Lord, Keith! I thought I had a busy schedule but it appears that you are so pressed for time that waiting for a few traffic lights and stopping for stop signs are very inconvenient.

I will say it's much more cumbersome to verbalize the directions than to just drive there and I don't recall thinking twice about stopping for the odd red light - they are even green sometimes.

How do you feel about driving in downtown Halifax with its array of 1-way streets, traffic lights and whole lanes blocked by parked cars? Not to mention the occasional drunk person (or groups of people) walking out in front of you...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 1:44 AM

Quote:
How do you feel about driving in downtown Halifax with its array of 1-way streets, traffic lights and whole lanes blocked by parked cars? Not to mention the occasional drunk person (or groups of people) walking out in front of you...

I expect issues like that in a 250 year-old downtown with ridiculously narrow streets designed for horses. I expect better design with a clean-sheet development designed for vehicle traffic.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Can't agree with this. I've walked around it and found it easy to negotiate. Intersections have signals, easy to figure out. Actually a good place to walk for exercise if you are so inclined.

[ post removed by poster ]

Last edited by counterfactual; Jul 6, 2014 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not certain, but I don't think he likes it.

I don't like it either but mostly because of the intersections with what seem to be dumb traffic lights. It is impossible to get from the entrance off the 118 to Home Depot in any sort of timely manner.

Somehow a side-thread about Dartmouth Crossing has turned into something amusing...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I also just realized that the Jetson-style flying car explanation for JET's remark makes even more sense as its consistent with his name.

It's all coming together.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
This improvement would be temporary at best. Once the smoke cleared, they would just re-build it. Probably to be even sprawlier and more nightmarish than what exists.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
this improvement would be temporary at best. Once the smoke cleared, they would just re-build it. Probably to be even sprawlier and more nightmarish than what exists.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
I can see the sad story in the Chronicle Herald now:
My obituary? Man, this is getting wierd...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth