HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:52 PM

Does anybody know anything about the former Finkl Steel site in Lincoln Park? A while ago it was a hot property and there was talk of putting the DePaul stadium there (ended up in McCormick area as we know), but since then it's been mum.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:54 PM

I just read something about that property...and through the magic of google i found the article.....here it is!!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...have-their-say

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wow. This is really fantastic. Why can't this be the norm and not the rare exception???

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Does anybody know anything about the former Finkl Steel site in Lincoln Park?
I was at that meeting. There was a lot of talking but nothing was said. It was a complete waste of my time.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I was at that meeting. There was a lot of talking but nothing was said. It was a complete waste of my time.
Got an anonymous tip via curbed that makes me think they might be sitting on it for an unlikely, secret project, but the tip could have been BS.

I don't know that area very well -- could it really have supported all the traffic from a big depaul basketball stadium as was once speculated for that site? On maps it looks like a traffic increase would just crush the whole area. And is it only the Finkl site that's up for grabs or are the industrial sites surrounding it on the chopping block as well? Seems like you'd need to delete more than just that block to do anything big.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:19 PM

Speaking of Cabrini, what is up with the Francis Cabrini Holmes? why weren't they torn down with the rest of Cabrini Green? I think that the Low Income houses will cause development to lag in certain areas. not to mention that the area is territory to the Gangster Disciples.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Speaking of Cabrini, what is up with the Francis Cabrini Holmes? why weren't they torn down with the rest of Cabrini Green? I think that the Low Income houses will cause development to lag in certain areas. not to mention that the area is territory to the Gangster Disciples.
Agree 100%. I want all of the Cabrini homes to be completely removed. They are nasty to look at. A new development needs to be built there that fronts the street correctly, and brings an appropriate level of density to that area. I want that part of the area to be an extension of the awesomeness that is River North and Gold Coast.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
The CHA was actually supposed to rehab them. There's only like 100 people still living there. The CHA, last i checked, hadn't rehabbed them and the residents sued them. Not sure what the status is with it. Just sounds like a corrupt/convoluted way of getting rid of them:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...awsuit-alleges

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Does anybody know anything about the former Finkl Steel site in Lincoln Park? A while ago it was a hot property and there was talk of putting the DePaul stadium there (ended up in McCormick area as we know), but since then it's been mum.
I posted this a while ago, but I have heard there is a deal in place to break the PMD and redevelop this site as a mixed use community a la a lowrise/midrise LSE. That would obviously be huge since it would herald the imminent demise of other PMD's around the city. We will see whether that deal actually pans out along those lines though...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:44 PM

At the Finkl redevelopment thing there was plenty of vague talk referencing high tech jobs. But as we all know, "high tech jobs" in Chicago-speak typically refers to entry level customer service positions for a god damn coupon company and/or indoor bike parking.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I posted this a while ago, but I have heard there is a deal in place to break the PMD and redevelop this site as a mixed use community a la a lowrise/midrise LSE. That would obviously be huge since it would herald the imminent demise of other PMD's around the city. We will see whether that deal actually pans out along those lines though...
I've opined against PMDs before but really it's not a bad idea per se as a barrier between residential areas and expressways.

The problem is just that several PMDs are in absolutely shitty locations right around downtown and along rail lines, where demand is highest for residential development and there is no "neighborhood character" to protect so you can build densely. Even if residential development is kept out of PMDs, the surrounding neighborhoods still have to deal with heavy truck traffic, odors, etc so it's not the magic tool for co-existence that PMD boosters like to claim. I would support a policy where certain blocks could be carved out of PMDs in exchange for a new block added somewhere else (the south/southwest sides most likely).

I mean, it's ridiculous that virtually all the developable land around the Clybourn Metra stop, Grand/Western Metra stop, Ravenswood Metra stop, etc is effectively off-limits for decent mixed-use development.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:43 PM

Illinois Medical District Signs Off on $300M Hotel Project
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...-hotel-project

More renders here: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ay-project.php

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:04 PM
The City

^. Definitely very exciting news, and a massive example of TOD.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Illinois Medical District Signs Off on $300M Hotel Project
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...-hotel-project

More renders here: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ay-project.php
I would like to see another 100,000 square feet of lab/office space because I am bullish with future job growth, but I will take it!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
I would like to see another 100,000 square feet of lab/office space because I am bullish with future job growth, but I will take it!
Agreed. I think it needs a little more real estate as well, and the neighborhood certainly could support it. With this project, the new Malcolm X College Expansion (medical technology is going in that new building with a lot of support from the city), and the newer Rush Tower, this area really will be a "Medical District". I can't think of a medical complex any where else of this size and complexity. I've been working in this neighborhood for the past 10 years now, and it is very nice to see things developing even more for the employees and visitors to the area. More of this would be great!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:31 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. Definitely very exciting news, and a massive example of TOD.
Unfortunately the stuff between the Blue Line station and this new development is towers-in-a-park crap. This would be great TOD if the walk was lined with sandwich shops, convenience stores, and apartments, but instead it's lined with fences and parking lots.

Also: it's hard to tell from the low-quality renderings on Curbed, but half of that nice plaza in the center is actually a parking lot. If the buildings all face inwards and present blank walls to the street, I don't see how this is much better than the last 50 years of development in the IMD. At least it looks like they're saving the triangular Higgie Building?

HQ renderings:
http://www.imdc.org/attachments/arti...rings_2014.pdf

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 2:05 AM
The City

^. I have the same concern, but obviously if that is indeed a parking lot it will be a very small one. All in all the IMD sucks but this development will by far improve it by many orders of magnitude.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Unfortunately the stuff between the Blue Line station and this new development is towers-in-a-park crap. This would be great TOD if the walk was lined with sandwich shops, convenience stores, and apartments, but instead it's lined with fences and parking lots.

Also: it's hard to tell from the low-quality renderings on Curbed, but half of that nice plaza in the center is actually a parking lot. If the buildings all face inwards and present blank walls to the street, I don't see how this is much better than the last 50 years of development in the IMD. At least it looks like they're saving the triangular Higgie Building?

HQ renderings:
http://www.imdc.org/attachments/arti...rings_2014.pdf
Well, call it ironic, but maybe the Medical Center Apartments parking lot being so large is actually a good thing; if the area improves enough maybe in a decade they'll build a proper mixed use development over it (and if we're really lucky they'll do the same to the ComEd bunker on the Ogden-Damen-Harrison triangle).

As for the stuff they're rendering now, my feelings are mixed. It's obviously encouraging from an economic perspective that they're investing there, and it's always good to see vacant lots that close in and near transit filled in. Also, it does reconnect the east-west streets (if only for pedestrians for Lexington on the south). And, while I may offend the stricter urbanists by saying this, I kind of like the diagonal parking on Flournoy (uses such as hospitals need parking, and a combination of plentiful metered street parking and shared multi-story garages provide that with fewer negative consequences than surface lots or smaller dedicated parking structures). However I don't like the 2nd row of diagonal parking adjacent to the courtyard, as it will shift the feel from that of a parking-rich-side-street to a mutli-lane-parking-lot, despite only adding ~14 spaces due to only having diagonal parking on one side. I also worry, as ardecila said, that the buildings may not provide much in the way of interest and entrances to the street, as the rendering isn't exactly detailed in that respect...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:46 AM
TL;DR

^ Hell no, that bunker is awesome! The only cool thing on that stretch of Ogden. Maybe they could put in some funky lighting.

This is all just a concept anyway... I know somebody who's been working on the project and I hear the details aren't finalized yet. The exact design of each building will be up to whichever developer controls it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:26 PM

Even more hotel rooms coming to the loop:

Quote:
With two LaSalle Street hotels already, Reschke comes back for thirds

After developing one hotel on LaSalle Street and starting another last year, Michael Reschke is laying plans for No. 3, the latest in a wave of new hotels planned for the city's financial district.

The Chicago developer plans to convert part of a vintage office building at 208 S. LaSalle St. into hotel rooms, according to an operating agreement for the property filed this month with the Cook County Recorder.

Mr. Reschke already has converted a big chunk of the landmark building into a 610-room JW Marriott hotelthat opened in 2010. Though he has formed a separate legal entity to develop the new hotel, he also raised the possibility that he could simply expand the existing hotel.

“I can confirm that we are looking to add hotel rooms or adding another hotel with the building,” he said, saying it was premature to discuss his plans further.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ack-for-thirds

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development