HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 9:20 PM
ハルウララ

Toronto-based developer secures naming rights for Langford's Westhills Stadium, home of Pacific F.C.

"Langford’s Westhills Stadium will be undergoing a name change in the coming months as the West Shore soccer pitch home to Pacific F.C. welcomes a new corporate sponsor.

This spring, Westhills Stadium will become Starlight Stadium following a naming rights acquisition by Toronto-based Starlight Investments. As one of Canada’s largest builders and operators of rental residential and commercial properties, Starlight has a growing repertoire of properties throughout the Capital Region, including mixed-use redevelopment proposals that include downtown Victoria’s 1,500-plus residence Harris Green Village.

Annual fees for naming rights will range between $75,000 and $155,000 with a five-year initial term and two options for five-year renewals. "

https://victoria.citified.ca/news/to...f-pacific-f-c/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 11:03 PM

Westhills is a nice sounding stadium name. If a stadium has to go corporate, can't do much better than "Starlight Stadium". Just sounds cool.

Incidentally, I happen to be working on two Starlight deals at the moment for work. Two of several over the past couple of years. They are basically trying to buy up every apartment building in Canada, renovate, jack up the rents and improve the value of the building, possibly to flip for profit. Or just keep in their private funds.

They also have a nice logo so that helps. Unlike say this on the Whitesox stadium. The team actually wanted them to not use the downward arrow but I don't think they budged on that.

https://twitter.com/jeremyscheuch/st...53936735313920

https://partnersinprojectgreen.com/c...t-investments/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 1:32 PM

Huh, I thought Rugby Canada owned the stadium, but I guess it makes sense that it's the city.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:20 PM

Rimouski's new sports complex. Pictures by Stéphane Groleau : https://www.facebook.com/Stephane.Gr...=page_internal

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:33 PM

What a gorgeous facility... the whole thing looks like an upscale athletic club as opposed to a municipal facility. The pool area in particular is beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:50 PM
Community Guy

That's smart looking.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:53 PM

Thinking about it further, the only gripe I have with the place is the office aesthetic that they've used... the white drywall and leather office-type furniture will probably deteriorate pretty rapidly in high traffic areas. I hope they have a maintenance budget prepared for that.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:20 PM

I've been working on a small project related to the sports expansion discussion that was had at the beginning of January. The other day, I was browsing Reddit and found an article from 2015 that figured out a statistical equation to determine the optimal number of Big-4 (NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL) sports teams that a given region in the US can carry, based on the population and average household income. This shows some interesting results with cities that are overserved (Denver, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland) and cities that are underserved (San Bernardino, New York(!), Stamford, Austin, Los Angeles(!)). As we know, sports relocation or expansion depends on many varying factors that aren't just financial, but I like to think this kind of analysis can give a rough idea of viability.

I decided that I would replicate this study on the 15 largest CMAs in Canada, using population (2020 estimated) and average household income after taxes (2016), from StatsCan and the CMHC. I have converted the $CAD incomes to $USD using the current exchange rate of 0.78:1. Additionally, I did the same analysis on the provinces as a whole to determine general provincial media market viability. The original equation was built for the US, but since all of the leagues are based in the US, all assessments of Canadian markets will be seen through a US lens anyway.

So, getting down to the numbers, the general equation was produced through linear least-squares regression. Unfortunately, the article didn't show the math so the equation can be replicated, but from what I can see, the total number of franchises a city can support is determined by multiplying the population by a ratio of 0.532 franchises/1M people, multiplying the regional average household income by a ratio of 0.1123 franchises/10K $USD, and then adjusting the end result using a correction factor of -0.81 franchises. The equation looks like this:

Number of Teams = -0.81 + (0.532/1,000,000)*(population) + (0.1123/10,000)*(mean household income)

When this equation is applied to Canadian cities, it appears that in general, our CMAs are well-served with professional sports teams. From a CMA analysis, Canada can support approximately 10 Big-4 franchises, and it currently has 9. On a provincial level, using this analysis, the media markets would be able to handle a total of 18 Big-4 franchises. A clearer, regional image of viability would be possible if these markets were further broken down into sub-provincial regions (ie, Golden Horseshoe, Lower Mainland, Calgary-Edmonton Corridor, SW Ontario), which I might do in the future. These numbers are also heavily dependent on the exchange rate. When upping the strength of the Canadian dollar to its peak of 1.10:1, 4 more franchises become possible on both levels, with the greatest impact seen on smaller cities.

CMA w/Modern Exchange Rate:

CMA w/High Exchange Rate:

Province w/Modern Exchange Rate:

Province w/High Exchange Rate:

Some interesting (as well as unsuprising) conclusions from the data on professional sports viability in Canadian cities:
  • Montreal should logically be the next Canadian city to be awarded a professional sports franchise, followed by Toronto
  • Hamilton is a somewhat more viable market for the next new city to be awarded a new professional team than Quebec City, with Kitchener not too far behind. All, however, are weak markets on the CMA level. Cases for all of these markets are made much stronger with a better dollar exchange rate, and will strengthen as they grow
  • Ottawa is adequately served
  • Winnipeg is overserved on a CMA level, but is backed up by the Manitoba market as a whole
  • Saskatchewan and Manitoba provincial markets both have similar capacities for supporting a professional team, but Saskatchewan is strung by its split population base with neither Regina or Saskatoon placing on the top 15 CMAs
  • Calgary and Edmonton markets are adequately serviced, but Calgary would come closer to supporting an additional professional team with a better dollar exchange rate, as well as likely being backed by a strengthening Alberta media market, even with current exchange rates
  • Vancouver is on the way to being able to supporting another professional level team on the CMA level, but a franchise granted in the near future would likely be backed up by a strong BC media market
  • Atlantic Canada is largely unsuitable for fielding a professional team in its current state, but opting for an Atlantic regional approach strengthens their case
  • Overall Ontario and Quebec media markets would likely be able to accommodate additional teams, even in weak CMA markets if a regional approach is taken (ie, a Hamilton or Kitchener team marketed towards SW Ontario)
  • Ignore the territories, they are statistical anomalies because of the low population and high household income

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Jan 30, 2021 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Some interesting (as well as unsuprising) conclusions from the data on professional sports viability in Canadian cities:
  • Montreal should logically be the next Canadian city to be awarded a professional sports franchise, followed by Toronto
NBA in Montreal? NBA back to Vancouver again?

They're the easiest to accomplish from a logistical point-of-view. The cities already have the facilities, no expensive big new stadium required. They don't have overlap with territories already claimed by existing franchises. They are not as undesirable for a lot of players compared to other smaller places in Canada (or even the US) - the US border and major cities are but a few hours away. Demographically, these places have changed and I think the NBA is where demographics are going, not where they've been.

All you need is a pile of cash for the expansion fee and the payroll.

I think there's an intangible argument that a formula misses. The big stumbling blocks for the NHL, NFL and MLB are: existing franchises and the billion-dollar stadiums for the two latter ones.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:43 PM

wonder if the copps coliseum renovation will go forward with covid cutbacks in 2022 and beyond very likely. NBA has been discussing expansion that was mentioned on arena digest page looking for $2.5 billion franchise fee leading contenders are Seattle and Kansas city.

https://arenadigest.com/2021/01/06/n...k-intensifies/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
wonder if the copps coliseum renovation will go forward with covid cutbacks in 2022 and beyond very likely. NBA has been discussing expansion that was mentioned on arena digest page looking for $2.5 billion franchise fee leading contenders are Seattle and Kansas city.

$2.5 billion USD.

*whistles impressively*

I think pro sports may just be peacocking themselves into extinction. Or stasis.

If that's what they're asking these days, I'd say pro sports expansion is basically done in Canada, unless somehow we get a desperate relocation.

Between the huge costs of stadiums and the huge fees, I don't know how expansion into moderate markets even works anymore.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
$2.5 billion USD.

*whistles impressively*

I think pro sports may just be peacocking themselves into extinction. Or stasis.

If that's what they're asking these days, I'd say pro sports expansion is basically done in Canada, unless somehow we get a desperate relocation.

Between the huge costs of stadiums and the huge fees, I don't know how expansion into moderate markets even works anymore.
it's not realistic for Canada at all other than maybe an NHL relocation to Quebec City right now. CFL expansion is much more feasible and realistic in Canada with $150 million for stadium expansion fee maybe $15 million and yearly operational cost around $25 million per year for a CFL team which is 1/4 that of an NHL team. Quebec City, London, Saskatoon and Halifax could all be in that conversation if they want to pool their resources to gain a club.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I think there's an intangible argument that a formula misses. The big stumbling blocks for the NHL, NFL and MLB are: existing franchises and the billion-dollar stadiums for the two latter ones.
My analysis only comments on the viability of each market based on population and income. There are all kinds of stumbling blocks that would prevent new expansion into Canada, such as more viable competing markets in the US, souring opinions on public funding for stadiums, and lack of abundant billionaire owners.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 1:15 AM

Quote:
$2.5 billion USD.

*whistles impressively*

Yeah, the Big 4 leagues and how they are structured are going to bottom themselves out over this decade I think. Having a corporate league structure probably isn't going be very enticing when the cost of entry is too damn high. If Canada had its own professional hockey league that is an association thats club based instead of franchises you wouldn't even have to charge an entry fee to even get the discussion going. All you need is a consortium of local business people with proof of funds available to operate year-on-year and selling local hockey clubs with their own academies is far better than the current status quo. I'd much rather see professional teams in Quebec City, Halifax, St. John's, Hamilton, London, Saskatoon, Victoria, etc. The bIg MeDiA mArKeTs~! concept is generally horseshit. Nobody is excited to watch 80% of the American-based teams from a marketing perspective. There would be far more hype for Jets fans to kick Saskatoon's ass over some billing with Phoenix or Florida or whatever.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 3:32 PM

$2.5B is beyond ridiculous. It's not about the fans anymore. It's not even about making money at this point. This is just a new type of stock market, trying to overvalue franchises to make it look like the leagues are than what they can ever truly be.

The NHL is no better. $650 million expansion fee for Seattle is just about the average value of NHL teams. But that doesn't include actually building a brand, the arena or anything else. Seattle will likely have cost close to $2B to get off the ground when everything is said and done, three times the average value.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
it's not realistic for Canada at all other than maybe an NHL relocation to Quebec City right now. CFL expansion is much more feasible and realistic in Canada with $150 million for stadium expansion fee maybe $15 million and yearly operational cost around $25 million per year for a CFL team which is 1/4 that of an NHL team. Quebec City, London, Saskatoon and Halifax could all be in that conversation if they want to pool their resources to gain a club.
Based on the "rising tide lifts all ships" theory, I wonder if we may see growth in the mid majors category... basically the pro leagues that don't quite measure up to the big 4 in terms of revenue and profits, the MLS, CFL, NLL, WNBA, etc.

There are quite a few now substantial Canadian cities like Saskatoon and Halifax that aren't likely to land a big 4 team on account of the massive costs involved and limited revenue potential relative to bigger US cities, but could definitely support a pro team on a smaller scale. Those two examples already have NLL teams but it seems to me that there is room for some growth.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:44 PM

I think MLS, CPL even CFL if they get their shit together could be the leagues of growth over the next 10 years as their cost structures and infrastructure needs are much more affordable for prospective ownership groups and more affordable for the average fan to attend games. In the U.S college sports is so big but also so much more affordable that it fills a void that the big 4 in the U.S. cannot reach due to being so unaffordable now as well NCAA fills the mid size American markets so well in places like Boise ID or Des Moines Iowa that the big 4 will never touch.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:

The city said last week that they expect the deal to be signed this spring and the project should move forward sometime after.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 7:38 PM

Quote:
I think MLS, CPL even CFL if they get their shit together could be the leagues of growth over the next 10 years as their cost structures and infrastructure needs are much more affordable for prospective ownership groups and more affordable for the average fan to attend games. In the U.S college sports is so big but also so much more affordable that it fills a void that the big 4 in the U.S. cannot reach due to being so unaffordable now as well NCAA fills the mid size American markets so well in places like Boise ID or Des Moines Iowa that the big 4 will never touch.
Yeah, there is no real Canadian equivalent to the role that the NCAA has in the US. The CHL is probably the closest thing we have to that, but even then, there really isn't something like the D1 teams that draw huge crowds and followings. Some teams are good at capturing the public's attention like the London Knights, but most seem to have lower profiles unless they're playing in really small towns like Prince Albert where they're the only game in town.

It's surprising in some respects because you'd think hockey could achieve something like that in much the same way that American football fans typically follow the pro and college game. You don't see as much of that in Canada, at least apart from the World Juniors.

But yeah, something like the CPL is built to capitalize on that phenomenon of opportunities in smaller markets. Toronto has a team, but the CPL isn't really built with Toronto at top of mind.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 9:31 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see the smaller leagues take hold and give the Big 4 a run for their money. I hope we one day see another professional hockey league emerge in Canada that can give the NHL a headache.

Unfortunately, we will probably never see the MLS expand in Canada again, since they have previously expressed that they do not intend to. I'm really excited about the CPL, though. I think that the promotion/relegation model they plan implementing in the long run will result in a better and more sustainable system than what the MLS has going, with the added benefit of allowing smaller cities to get involved more easily. I hope the CFL ends up getting back on its feet too, I'd really like to see it expand into more smaller markets that don't have a true professional team yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada