HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite! Who submitted the best entry?
ericmacm 7 29.17%
TorontoDrew 12 50.00%
Koops65 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
OK I'll play lol. Will post something tonight

Awesome! Still love to see some of your older designs. I need to start texturing and lighting some of what I have built to get back into what I've started.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 12:56 AM

Ok, I did this from scratch just for you guys For the theater, I simply massed in "sensibly-scaled, neutral, heritage-respecting mixed-use development to pay for renovations" lol. Any But SSP isn't the crowd for that... so now onto the "landmark"!

Oh, also I plaza'd the end of Smith street to rescue the pocket park from its glorified traffic-circle status. I wanted the site to be mainly a plaza connecting both sides of downtown, and with heritage buildings lining the adjacent blocks, a new tower, however big, needs to touch down very lightly on the site to not overpower the smaller scale of those buildings. What I like about top-heavy buildings is how they maximize public space without sacrificing square footage. And if Vancouver House was feasible (top floors are twice the size of lowest floor), then maybe the 2.5:1 ratio here might work too!

This design isn't my usual style, but is a slightly crazier version of an unbuilt work project in Calgary that was inspired by how the Bow dwarfed the city's skyline at the time, that, for me, answered the question of "what is a prairie skyscraper?" It's not driven by the kind of high-priced desirability crammed into geographically-constrained coastal cities with good transit that spurs organic forest-like vertical growth, but more by the clustering of public space into discrete megastructures that offer shelter from the extreme climate. Some of the largest rec-centre/library/arena/civic combo buildings in Canada are in the prairies. I thought of the opening scenes of the 2009 Stark Trek reboot and the silhouettes of the megaliths against the flat Iowa landscape. The number 1 feature of the prairie landscape is the sky, so it was from there that the built form draws its relationship, but instead of reaching up to it, what if the sky reached down to touch the earth... like da Vinci's Creation of Adam... if that didn't kill your BS meter, just call it The Tornado.

Stats:
Height - 230m / 51 floors
Square footage - ~1.2 million sf
Floorplates - from 14,000sf to 34,000 sf

View down Arthur St

View down Notre Dame and Ellice

This is only to show that I briefly thought about structural grid and elevator cores

Biggest regret is that I initially worked myself into a corner with the detailing and forgot that the tower sections didn't have to shrink from all sides downward, but could grow a bit in places to create terraces and add movement to the tornado silhouette. If I had more time, the tower plates would be rationalized to a more rigorous structural grid, and the sculpting would be more deliberate to respond to localized surrounding conditions at each height (i am from Vancouver afterall). And while the louvers were the quickest way to express the "grain" of the facade, this would've been a great project for the type of screens from the unbuilt Le Phare project by Morphosis. Anyway, for 3 hours work, i'm ok with this!

Last edited by dleung; May 8, 2020 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:55 PM
recession proof

What program did you use?

It just proves that context is everything ... supersized buildings belong in supersized cities.

Building #7 complete: it's a hack job I simply am running out of energy.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 9, 2020 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 11:02 PM
recession proof

The site:

The Giant Tiger used to be a BiWay - surely an historic facade?

Are there underground parking garages in Winnipeg?

Beautiful shady trees ... but is this an old square?

What's missing?

Trying to stay motivated ... kinda wish I could start over. Odeon I admire your blank walls

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 9, 2020 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
The site:

The Giant Tiger used to be a BiWay - surely an historic facade?

]
re giant tiger
it had dark red brick very simple with big windows as it was a billiards hall. pritty sure was one for a very long time if not origonal to the building as it had a large billiards mural on the back donald side that took up the whole wall

theres photos on flickr showing it but it would take me hours to get anywhere on their searching for it with my crapy internet up north. takes forver to just get it to load the main page

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 6:28 PM

urbandreamer do you have an fbx or obj of the site? I've tried a few times now to export from sketchup but my software (maya) keeps saying the file is corrupt.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:51 AM
recession proof

No. I'm just doing Sketchup - Google Earth - Twilight & Thea for rendering.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
What program did you use?

It just proves that context is everything ... supersized buildings belong in supersized cities.
Sketchup with Enscape. Normally i'm the "appropriate scale!" guy, but winnipeg doesn't really have a skyline to defer to, and so the next best thing is the prairie landscape/sky and its natural phenomenon. As long as it's still human scale at the street level...

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:07 AM

It's interesting, on a foggy or muggy day it might look like a twister plowing through the downtown to an unsuspecting traveler unfamiliar with the city.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 5:21 AM
recession proof

24 hours to go ... time sure went quick. Unfortunately I lost 3 days to a terrible migraine so I cut building #8.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:11 PM

Agreed, it did go by quickly. I had grander plans for my renderings (I was working on lighting for inside my buildings for night shots) but had to cut that, I've been sick, under the 14-day quarantine and lost some of my energy. Other than that, I'm pretty much good to go.

I'll create the thread for the round 2 submissions tonight.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchlife View Post
Will there be such a competition this year?

It's right here, it shows the voting results from the previous friendly competition and people are submitting their works in progress here. A new thread will be created at the deadline for voting.

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245514

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:44 AM

Noticed this proposal from Vancouver and am reminded of your first tower entry, Koops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:10 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Yes that looks very similar, besides the height...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada