HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:55 PM

P-G article as well:

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202009250100

Definitely a cool-looking project!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 1:46 PM

Very nice

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:35 PM

This is outstanding. Not just that the design looks VERY promising, but the precise location and impressive density goes a long way towards shrinking the remaining dead zone between the intensive, ongoing, Strip District development and Lawrenceville and bridge the gap between those two neighborhoods.

I like how the quasi-industrial brick portions echo the row of giant warehouse structures on Smallman St. Would love to see some sort of better rendering showing the context as it relates to a larger view of the strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
So, major news on an upcoming project from PBT. The planned mixed-use development on this section of Liberty is going forward. However, the developer (RDC) is dropping plans for an office component and increasing the number of residential units from 274 to 370.

There's some renderings in the article, though they really don't give good perspective of the entire site:

Googling around, this seems to be an overhead view of the site. May be an earlier version:

Nice density level very close to Herron Station.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:45 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave View Post
This is outstanding. Not just that the design looks VERY promising, but the precise location and impressive density goes a long way towards shrinking the remaining dead zone between the intensive, ongoing, Strip District development and Lawrenceville and bridge the gap between those two neighborhoods.
Exactly!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:32 PM

It has a nice humanizing level to it. Like it very much.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:02 AM

I haven't driven down Smallman in years, so this was nice to see.

Meet the Strip District Produce Terminal’s new tenants in Pittsburgh

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:59 AM
Ex Houstonian

I really hope the Produce Terminal is successful but what a bad time to open it up.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:14 AM

More good stuff going on in the Alllegheny river towns.

Etna: Good to see a proposal for this big hulk of a building right in the center of town. This building is highly visible from the 28/Rt 8 interchange.

‘The ultimate recycling’: Old Etna steel mill could become 100,000-square-foot tech-flex space

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...086?cid=search

Quote:
An old Etna steel mill could become the newest landing spot for tech firms in the region.

New York-based The AM Group has acquired a block-long, three-story industrial building at 51 Bridge St. in Etna with plans to convert it into tech-flex space, according to an announcement by the Jones Lang LaSalle real estate firm.

The building used to be part of an old steel mill that now could be used for robotics, artificial intelligence or other tech-related ventures, borough manager Mary Ellen Ramage said in a recent interview.

According to JLL, the building at its completion will feature about 100,000 square feet of tech-flex space spread over three floors.

The AM Group is seeking a $6 million state redevelopment assistance capital grant to help with the work.

In a summary accompanying the request, the developer said the project involves a complete overhaul of the building, including selective demolition, steel framing, fireproofing, concrete, roofing and other interior work. The facade will be rehabbed and restored.

“The building's existing, 1902-vintage design offers a tremendous canvas for the creation of a highly functional, tech-flex product using an environmentally responsible adaptive reuse approach," said AM Group partner Scott Wolkowitz.

No cost estimates relating to the work were provided. The AM Group hopes to complete the conversion by fall 2021.

Sharpsburg: Dancing Gnome Brewery (the best brewery in Pittsburgh) new construction underway on Main Street just a few doors down from their current location.

Video flyover rendering https://margittai.com/wp-content/upl...080919.mp4?_=1

Quote:
With lines extending several blocks during beer release events, Dancing Gnome Owner and Head Brewer, Andrew Witchey, decided it was time to expand.

Drawing inspiration from the former Pennsylvania Canal, that had passed through this site almost 200 years ago, the second location of this Sharpsburg Brewery will be housed in a re-purposed, steel, warehouse by the river. Working closely with A.Martini & Co, this multi-phase project will allow Dancing Gnome to produce approximately 10,000 barrels of beer per year.

In addition to the brewing area, the taproom, cold room, and outdoor beer garden should not only make this facility a desirable destination, but also a wonderful community amenity.

Last edited by pj3000; Oct 1, 2020 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:14 PM

That looks like a good location for Dancing Gnome.

Despite being very close to Sharpsburg, I've never been. Their beer menu i not for me. It's like 85% IPAs, which I hate. Give me a sour, whit, or good stout any day.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:24 PM

Apparently the presentation of the rehab of the Uptown industrial property into tech/flex space was contentious at the Planning Commission. The discussion basically revolved around "gentrification of a historically black neighborhood."

Honestly, this sticks in my craw because Uptown is not a historically black neighborhood. It's around a 50/50 split - even if you discount the population of the Allegheny County Jail and the Duquesne dorms. Most of the blocks west of Jumonville are majority white - and from what I am able to decipher, this has always been the case. This development is right on Jumonville, making it right at the dividing line.

I have no issue with the Commission wanting the developer to have a dialogue with Uptown Partners, but I don't understand why they want them to have the approval of the Hill District CDC. Uptown is not part of the Hill District, and the Hill District CDC should not have veto power.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:16 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
More good stuff going on in the Alllegheny river towns.

Etna: Good to see a proposal for this big hulk of a building right in the center of town. This building is highly visible from the 28/Rt 8 interchange.

‘The ultimate recycling’: Old Etna steel mill could become 100,000-square-foot tech-flex space

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...086?cid=search

I love this plan. As we all know, nearly every single steel mill has long been torn down and scrapped but there are probably hundreds or thousands of these mid-size industrial buildings that still remain in an around these old mill towns all through the metro. I think there needs to be a successful template for renovating these for modern use as either light industrial for smaller, modern companies or tech-flex space. I don't know if it's still true but a few years ago I heard that one of the main real estate needs in Pittsburgh was not more class A office space but light industrial/flex space.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That looks like a good location for Dancing Gnome.

Despite being very close to Sharpsburg, I've never been. Their beer menu i not for me. It's like 85% IPAs, which I hate. Give me a sour, whit, or good stout any day.
Yeah, it will be a great expansion for them. They obviously need more space for the taproom and for production. And the outdoor “beer garden” area will be a really nice addition. It also fills a gap in the Main St. business district that was rather desolate, just being a gravel lot for the industrial buildings along the tracks and parking for the American Legion hall. And Redhawk Coffee is soon to open right across the street.

You should go! They do much more than IPAs! Their stouts are the best around (Black Clouds, Dead Sleep, and Wonka are truly delicious) and they do great lagers, sours, and festbiers too. And... their APAs like Lustra and Wishbone are likely two of the best beers being produced anywhere. Really, I f you like beer at all, it’s the place to go for consistent quality. They do it right there.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I love this plan. As we all know, nearly every single steel mill has long been torn down and scrapped but there are probably hundreds or thousands of these mid-size industrial buildings that still remain in an around these old mill towns all through the metro. I think there needs to be a successful template for renovating these for modern use as either light industrial for smaller, modern companies or tech-flex space. I don't know if it's still true but a few years ago I heard that one of the main real estate needs in Pittsburgh was not more class A office space but light industrial/flex space.
Yeah, I really like to see old brick factory buildings being saved and repurposed. It’s tough to use them for anything else than what they were built for because of the sheer size, massive open interior space, and MEP adaptation. But I think it pays off to have original industrial architecture still standing within a city.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:18 PM

The new developer which took over the Kaufman's project has plans to quickly complete the building. This includes finishing the last third of the apartments Core realty didn't finish, adding a rooftop skating rink open to the public, two floors of parking, and putting wood floors in the lobby. Along with fixing many problems related to the clusterfuck of Core's property management. How the eff did they ever get the building to begin with?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 8:09 PM

Speaking of Sharpsburg, does anyone know the status of Riverfront 47?

Not many news articles in the past few years; I don’t think any physical progress has been made at the site unless I’m wrong.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMcKelvin View Post
Speaking of Sharpsburg, does anyone know the status of Riverfront 47?

Not many news articles in the past few years; I don’t think any physical progress has been made at the site unless I’m wrong.
There’s been some land clearing, demolition of the old Silky’s Crows Nest restaurant, and demolition of the structural steel supports of the old gantry crane nearest the HP Bridge. But no infrastructure construction yet.

Still I n the planning stages. Mosites is eager to move forward, but trying to get all the financing in place and working with Aspinwall, O’Hara, and Sharpsburg municipalities.

It seems Aspinwall just wants to extend their riverfront park and have nothing else built. O’Hara doesn’t really seem to care too much and will go along with Sharpsburg’s plans, who’s property comprises most of the site.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Interesting how, at first, they were so bent out of shape about the proposed height -- that is was way too tall and would loom over everything in the Strip. Even though it checks in under the allowed height requirements, and that there is really nothing to "loom over" since there are still mainly empty lots surrounding it.

Then it was, "out of character" with the Strip, not attempting to blend in with the existing architecture. Even though it's not surrounded by any of that existing architecture, and NONE of the new construction in the Strip blends in.

And now, its massing is just too obtrusive and it's not inviting enough. Even though it meets zoning requirements and offers more public space/amenities than is mandated.

The same three commission members have been poo poo-ing it in one way or another from the start. It's telling that the other members have largely stayed out of it.

And not one of these three "architecture critic" commission members is a practicing architect.

This situation with the Planning Commission completely reeks of academic, do-gooder BS.
Not to dwell, but this is especially frustrating when a 300 ft, or so, building is getting poo-poo'd for it's "imposing" height, when a certain nearby lakefront city looks to be getting another tower that may surpass this city's tallest. It shouldn't irk me this much, but I can't help it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

Just walked around the Strip and man, the Produce Terminal looks fantastic. There were loads of people already hanging out on the steps and eating takeout. If and when it ever fills up with shops after rona it’s going to be great and will be a major tourism boon for the city.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:24 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzi View Post
Not to dwell, but this is especially frustrating when a 300 ft, or so, building is getting poo-poo'd for it's "imposing" height, when a certain nearby lakefront city looks to be getting another tower that may surpass this city's tallest. It shouldn't irk me this much, but I can't help it.
What are you talking about? Is Cleveland getting a new tallest building or something?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
What are you talking about? Is Cleveland getting a new tallest building or something?
Of course, in proposal stage, nothing is set in stone, but the Sherwin-Williams HQ looks to be around 850' in recently posted renderings. It appears almost at tall as the pyramid top of Key Tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations