HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
As a somewhat nearby resident, my biggest hope for this this project has been that it will have a through way for pedestrians breaking up this massive block (the space between 13th and Broad is wider than an average city block). This kinda does, but it is covered the whole way and appears to be a truck/car sewer. I'm not even sure that there are sidewalks going all the way through from Carpenter to Washington. So that's not so good. I feel like they could have done a much better job on this aspect of the design and I believe it would add tremendously to the design for future residents, not just for neighbors. This is obviously is worlds' better than the last development, but overall it still doesn't seem all that well planned.
I flatly don't understand the fascination with having a pedestrian throughway through the middle of the block. Neither the south side of Washington Ave nor Carpenter have a mid-block street to connect to, so while you could argue (although I won't) that splitting it up would improve the massing, no pedestrians would be using that mid-block street regardless. Why would anyway go from mid-block up Washington Ave through a retail-less corridor to end up facing the blank Carpenter-side of CAPA?

Although there are things to quibble with, this is *much* better than I expected.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
I flatly don't understand the fascination with having a pedestrian throughway through the middle of the block. Neither the south side of Washington Ave nor Carpenter have a mid-block street to connect to, so while you could argue (although I won't) that splitting it up would improve the massing, no pedestrians would be using that mid-block street regardless. Why would anyway go from mid-block up Washington Ave through a retail-less corridor to end up facing the blank Carpenter-side of CAPA?

Although there are things to quibble with, this is *much* better than I expected.
I take your point, but not every pedestrian trip is in a north-south direction and sometimes people have occasion to walk in a way where a mid-block crossing would have value (say a trip from Broad and Washington towards the Whole Foods on South). The blocks between 13th and Broad to the north and south suck too, for what it's worth - not something to emulate. Mid-block streets are a great part of Philadelphia and internal promenades/walkways add a lot to contemporary developments, especially when they are on busy, non-scenic streets like Broad and Washington. East Market is a great example of that, as is Lincoln Square. This has a lot of retail and not much existing pedestrian traffic to feed off so I assume they are going for a "somewhere people feel enjoyable to be" vibe. Superblock developments don't so much communicate that.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 5:51 PM

Better, yes. But still----to me this is the type of building that looks much better on paper then it does at the end. Does anyone know the number of units being proposed?

I can't see Bart building this and I'd glad to be wrong.

For once I'll be the one who complains that it needs some height. If the section in the middle instead of being the shortest could be a 350'+ tower I think it would help bring some focus to these buildings. And I'd like to see the parking pulled away from the edges on the 2nd fl level, get rid of all those louver panels that will be dirty within weeks.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 6:29 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Better, yes. But still----to me this is the type of building that looks much better on paper then it does at the end. Does anyone know the number of units being proposed?

I can't see Bart building this and I'd glad to be wrong.

For once I'll be the one who complains that it needs some height. If the section in the middle instead of being the shortest could be a 350'+ tower I think it would help bring some focus to these buildings. And I'd like to see the parking pulled away from the edges on the 2nd fl level, get rid of all those louver panels that will be dirty within weeks.
I believe its up to 1,111 units now. They must be very small.

I generally like this project and 15 stories is a solid project for that area. I just hope the end result looks better than its neighbor across the street.

Another Giant will be taking the main retail space which is another positive.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 6:17 AM

I personally like it a lot more than the old rendering (if you could even call it one). It's a lot less chonky than the first idea, with a lot of interesting shapes and sizes. I like that each angle has a different shape, size, and color, and I think the black and white color palette will work nicely with Lincoln Square.

I do agree that the center building being the tallest would make the most sense. I wonder if the sunlight is going to be blocked by having taller buildings on the outside.

With over 1000 units, is this one of the densest single projects we've seen?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I believe its up to 1,111 units now. They must be very small.
The proposal says the net rentable sqft is 1,040,521. With over 1111 units, that is 936 sqft/ unit on average. If this is the case, certainly the units don’t have to be tiny. I can imagine a reasonable spread of studios, 1br, and 2br.

Although does this number include the common spaces?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:19 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
As a somewhat nearby resident, my biggest hope for this this project has been that it will have a through way for pedestrians breaking up this massive block (the space between 13th and Broad is wider than an average city block). This kinda does, but it is covered the whole way and appears to be a truck/car sewer. I'm not even sure that there are sidewalks going all the way through from Carpenter to Washington. So that's not so good. I feel like they could have done a much better job on this aspect of the design and I believe it would add tremendously to the design for future residents, not just for neighbors. This is obviously is worlds' better than the last development, but overall it still doesn't seem all that well planned.
I agree with you. There are no new public spaces. I would have liked to see buildings around a common public park or plaza in the center above underground parking. The ground floor is not impressive, especially the Washington Avenue side. I was hoping some reference to the historic Ridgway Library Building it will loom over (I love this building. I would like to see the open space around it better utilized). The massing is very dense. Balconies are good, would have added more on all sides. This project has no context. It could have been anywhere but landed here.
I would have flipped/mirrored the project on the east-west axis putting tower block on Washington Avenue side, scaling down the height and shadows and acknowledging the lower scale of Carpenter Street and the old Library Building. Though center building is recessed, putting the "amenities deck" on the north side.
I fear there will be cheap materials throughout.
The best I'll say it is better than the previous proposal. It has good density and will forever change this vital intersection. Could have been better. More attention could have been given to the Washington Avenue and Broad Street ground floor retail and base pedestal. That might just be the rendering. 14 stories is a good scale for here. I can't say I'm disappointed as I didn't expect much.
BUILD IT!

1001 S Broad Street Blatstein 8-30-20

1001 S Broad Street Blatstein 8-30-20 c

1001 S Broad Street Blatstein 8-30-20 d

1001 S Broad Street Blatstein 8-30-20 b

http://www.hecphila.org/index_htm_fi...esentation.pdf

Last edited by SEFTA; Aug 31, 2020 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:20 PM

Broad and Washington Northeast Corner Finally Happening?

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ally-happening

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:57 PM

New Plans for Broad and Washington Entail 1,111 Units + Retail

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/new-pla...-units-retail/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 7:42 PM

This design fits the location better than the 34 floor tower that was the original planned; the new plans have some appeal but...something about the design I don't care for. It feels to wide and I know that sounds crazy but that's how I feel.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:35 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Solid density!

More of this.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 12:26 PM

its massing is Brobdingnagian. a simpler tower would be much better.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 10:43 PM

Permit pulled for 1223-45 Washington Ave

There was a zoning permit application today for the parking lot at 13th and Washington adjacent to the Uhaul building. It's a permit for 375 units and it looks like the lot is also owned by Blatstein(Broad & Washington LP) This was sold as part of the package with the bigger lot across the street.

Any info on this project? Is it just part of the bigger project across the street or something completely different?

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=274920914

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 11:35 PM

Looks like it was applied for at the end of September but actually issued/approved today. Maybe we'll see it at the next CDR.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 11:53 PM
build awesome buildings

that lot east of 13th is sizable on its own - if this is in addition to the previous plans, this would be quite a dense stretch.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 11:43 AM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
its massing is Brobdingnagian. a simpler tower would be much better.
I agree. Maybe 4 towers, one on each corner with a park or open space in the center. Underground parking.

This project, if built as proposed, is not going to age well.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:12 AM

I hope Blatstein gets the shovels in the ground quick, fast and in a hurry before the local nimby neighbors start protesting about the potential lack of "sunshine units." They must love that trash strewn desolate lot. A beautiful introduction to the Avenue of the Arts. The local nimby public seems to have no regard that this is a Center City location and this is where tall buildings go. They fear change! My lady friend has a very old, worn out malfunctioning iPhone because she's so afraid of change. She won't even update the phone to the latest software. She won't get a new one, although you can't hear her talk when she calls you because the microphone is worn out. The Snowflake Affect."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:30 PM

Compilation of the proposed development at and around Broad & Washington:

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/11/majo...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
Compilation of the proposed development at and around Broad & Washington:

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/11/majo...ladelphia.html
It's a lot and they left out the St Rita development that looks underway. Curious what that will look like. That section of Broad is booming! A shame Boot & Saddle just closed up, hopefully a similar venue can take it's place.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 12:58 AM

The St. rita's lot is definitely under way (senior housing mid rise). The cinderblock core was at least one story out of the ground last time I walked by. The renderings were hideous by the way and I don't think there was any reason to believe that they ever redid the design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction