HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:26 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Houston has palm trees, but probably not as many as what southern California has, and they're a different species anyway. San Antonio actually has a fair amount of them, easily more than Austin does.
Most palm trees here in Houston are not indigenous outside Sago palms and a few other species. Not sure about S. California but I suspect most of theirs are native. The entire northern half of Houston is (or was) heavily forested.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Most palm trees here in Houston are not indigenous outside Sago palms and a few other species. Not sure about S. California but I suspect most of theirs are native. The entire northern half of Houston is (or was) heavily forested.
I don't think palms are native to California.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I don't think palms are native to California.
These are the only native palms of California/SoCal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_filifera

All the rest are not.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Tell it to a serious surfer. The Gulf of Mexico hardly has waves.
I'm not a surfer. I don't care what surfers think. They can have California's waves. I think California's coastline is absolutely gorgeous and I have loved every moment I've spent along it (except for the smell of dead seaweed at La Jolla which caused my asthma to flare up), but the Pacific water is damned cold from San Diego all the way up and I would not want get in the water like in the Gulf or in the Atlantic in Florida.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Sorry but having been to just about every major tourist trap in America, I simply disagree and find this one more bit of snobbery not only on your part but also on the part of locals who consider themselves too sophisticated to actually see the charms of something that charms out-of-towners. I see it as a pleasant place that most cities would love to have but can't because they don't have the geography and while it's clearly not a place that locals are attracted to en masse, it's the only thing in the downtown of any Texas city that attracts me.
In the case of the locals, it's not snobbery, it's knowing that they can get food elsewhere that is so much better and not ridiculously overpriced. They don't have to deal with crowds of people moving at a snail's pace along narrow walkways. They don't have to pay $15-an-hour to park in a downtown lot or garage. And after years of out-of-town friends and relatives wanting them to take them to the River Walk, they've seen all the charming parts and are tired of the rest of it.

As for geography, the San Antonio River Walk is totally manmade. It was all diverted from the natural part of the rather small San Antonio River and built by the WPA during the Depression.

ETA: I like Downtown San Antonio a lot...except for the Ripley's Believe-it-or-Not and wax museum and Hard Rock Cafe kind of crap. And all the electric scooters. But it's a very nice, if small, walkable and charming downtown.

Last edited by bilbao58; Oct 21, 2021 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
These are the only native palms of California/SoCal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_filifera

All the rest are not.
And the most popular cultivated palm tree in the US is the closely related Mexican fan palm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_robusta so these palm trees are more at home in Socal (closest to their native habitat) than in any other location in the US.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
The entire northern half of Houston is (or was) heavily forested.
I can remember when flying into Intercontinental meant flying over nothing but a sea of pines. I read somewhere that pilots used to refer to IAH at night as the "Black Hole." It's still a little shocking to me to see how much that area has been developed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
The only city in Texas I would ever consider living in is Austin. Otherwise, I have interest in living in Texas.
"Asian-Black-Latino-Native American" Xing is only interested in living in the whitest, least diverse major city in Texas.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Houstonians experience a "normalization of deviance" when it comes to natural disasters.

There is a whole section on Houston Disasters in Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Houston
Shoot! Just a normal summer is a six-month-long disaster!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yep, that's what I was saying. It's really just that California has a large population, so it fits that you'd see more of them versus other state plates. I see more California and Florida plates in Austin than I do any other state plate.
Again, as I posted earlier, there was a time in the late 70s and early 80s when it seemed like every other license plate you'd see in Houston was a Michigan plate. It's not necessarily a matter of population only. Sometimes people really are leaving a particular place more than other places. I really don't think California needs to worry...and I gladly welcome any and all non-rightwingnutjobs who'd like to move here.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:32 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Yeah, but they’re not the cool Californians so no one cares.
The homeless people should get up and move there too. They may have a better chance at getting one of those low wage jobs and being able to afford an apartment to rent.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 10:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
The homeless people should get up and move there too. They may have a better chance at getting one of those low wage jobs and being able to afford an apartment to rent.
Texas is not friendly to the homeless. The state recently banned homeless encampments and has little in the way of social programs and services for them. Unlike California. These people are largely mentally ill or drifters; they're not going to get a 9-5 and get an apartment. There are a few who would.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:25 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Texas is not friendly to the homeless. The state recently banned homeless encampments and has little in the way of social programs and services for them. Unlike California. These people are largely mentally ill or drifters; they're not going to get a 9-5 and get an apartment. There are a few who would.
I am talking the tens of thousands that live here with jobs and live in their cars or campers or in tents on the streets. They would do better there and many other places than to live in the most expensive State. I wish CA would outlaw homeless encampments too and institutionalize the mentally ill. I would gladly pay taxes to support that. I do believe we get a many from other States.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I am talking the tens of thousands that live here with jobs and live in their cars or campers or in tents on the streets. They would do better there and many other places than to live in the most expensive State. I wish CA would outlaw homeless encampments too and institutionalize the mentally ill. I would gladly pay taxes to support that. I do believe we get a many from other States.
lol these people aren't moving to other states to get a minimum wage job and barely make ends meet. They come out here to do drugs and get handouts and sleeping outside in this weather isn't a particular hardship either.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
lol these people aren't moving to other states to get a minimum wage job and barely make ends meet. They come out here to do drugs and get handouts and sleeping outside in this weather isn't a particular hardship either.
And lots of homeless in south FL as well. Just about every major street intersection in FT Lauderdale has people with signs asking for money. I went to downtown Miami a few weeks ago and there was a fairly substantial homeless camp downtown underneath one of the expressways. Unfortunately, I think some of these people have mental issues which exacerbates any financial ahd housing struggles they have.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
And lots of homeless in south FL as well. Just about every major street intersection in FT Lauderdale has people with signs asking for money. I went to downtown Miami a few weeks ago and there was a fairly substantial homeless camp downtown underneath one of the expressways. Unfortunately, I think some of these people have mental issues which exacerbates any financial ahd housing struggles they have.
There are a lot fewer in Miami than in San Francisco. Florida doesn’t lay out the welcome mat for them like California does.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 7:25 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Some do. My mom goes to AA meetings and I've sat in a few with her and several people who were struggling in the LA/ Bay Areas ended up here for that reason but still haven't quite managed to land on their feet (drugs/ alcohol) but they do have our cost of living working for them. The rent for my rinky-dink apartment in the Bay Area is 3x the mortgage of my house and we live in a nice big house. I do not know how you guys do it...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
"Asian-Black-Latino-Native American" Xing is only interested in living in the whitest, least diverse major city in Texas.
Are you assuming he/she/them is racist? What's the point of this?

There are many reasons to desire living in a place that has nothing to do with race. That said Austin has a higher proportion of black and asian populations than SA.

Austin is it for me as well due to economy type, outdoor amenities, big events and urban transformation. Doesn't make the other cities lesser... just personal preference.

Last edited by ATXboom; Oct 22, 2021 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 7:52 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I thought diversity would be a dirty word, especially in Texas of all places....but you heard it here first folks! Texas is very diverse and everybody knows what that means.
I'll add if all these people are moving then their houses are for sale.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 8:00 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I thought diversity would be a dirty word, especially in Texas of all places....but you heard it here first folks! Texas is very diverse and everybody knows what that means.
I'll add if all these people are moving then their houses are for sale.
Lies. Everyone here looks like the cast of Dallas....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions