HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, that junk will come down.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:26 PM
New Yorker for life

This goes along with that. The Vanderbilt Corridor, which had an early approval, has an FAR of 30.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 8:01 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Do the Midtown East Rezoning laws extend up to Madison and 55th? If so, I wonder when this obsolete waste of space, 555 Madison, will be redeveloped.
The same applies to 575 Madison.
And one block away is 445 Park.. that thing is hideous

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 8:10 PM

This tower for some reason brings up the question for me… when is 1000 ft no longer Super Tall and becomes just tall? There are so many 1000 footers in NYC and the skyline is looking flat lately. Love that this building is going up though

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 3, 2021 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 11:15 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
This tower for some reason brings up the question for me… when is 1000 ft no long Super Tall and becomes just tall? There are so many 1000 footers in NYC and the skyline is looking flat lately. Love that this building is going up though
Cities (or rather parts of cities) tend towards various height plateaux at any given time. The reasons for this are pretty cool actually.. in a given area in a real market (i.e. not dubai and not china lol), the demand for square footage vs the costs of building taller buildings always reach an equilibrium, which determines ideal building height for that area. This equilibrium point is the center of a bell curve; at any given time, the vast majority of new square footage in the given area will be in buildings with heights less than a standard deviation from the equilibrium height. But the center of this equilibrium curve doesnt increase steadily, instead it increases in quantized jumps –like electron orbitals– because theres no reason to build significantly above the equilibrium height until all the buildable land in the given desireable area has filled up its present equilibrium (orbital shell).

From roughly 1960 to the present, midtown manhattan has been filling up its 200 meter plateau. Basically all of new york's supertalls thus far have been deliberate outliers, on the high end of the bell curve; from their inception they were built to be landmarks, with the hope that an above-equilibrium-height building would fetch above-equilibrium prices from a relatively small number of very wealthy businesses (and ever since One57, residents).

But this building and 1 manhattan west, among others, are signs that the equilibrium point in midtown is now in the middle of a jump, from 200m to 300m. The prestige of having landmark status office space is no longer the main selling point for 300m buildings. The presigious office buildings of the next few decades will be in the 400-500 meter range, such as Vandy and the new Grand Hyatt.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Last edited by jbermingham123; Sep 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 1:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
And one block away is 445 Park.. that thing is hideous
There are buildings that I despise more than that, but believe it or not, architecture critics consider it to be outstanding.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Sep 3, 2021 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 3:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
This tower for some reason brings up the question for me… when is 1000 ft no longer Super Tall and becomes just tall? There are so many 1000 footers in NYC and the skyline is looking flat lately. Love that this building is going up though
I've been saying a lot recently, we no longer have just a skyline with supertalls, but a supertall skyline.

But to answer your question, the answer is never. A supertall tower is supertall because it rises 1,000 ft (984) over the entrance. It's not a supertall based on how it appears on the skyline. If that were the case, there would be supertalls almost everywhere.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 5:38 PM
New Yorker for life

SEPT 4, 2021

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 6:14 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTlRPO_hF_r/

Quote:
Demolition work is ramping up at 343 Madison Avenue, site of a 1,050-foot commercial supertall in Midtown East.
Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox and developed by Boston Properties, the 754,120-square-foot structure will yield 748,618 square feet of office space, 2,130 square feet of retail space, and 2,372 square feet of subterranean circulation paths to Grand Central Terminal and the future East Side Access project.

The skyscraper is replacing a 105-year-old 15-story building between East 44th and 45th Streets that formerly housed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority headquarters.
Right now thick black netting fully obscures the brick and stone façade.
It should only be a matter of time until the upper floors begin to be dismantled, and the building’s relatively short height could enable its full demolition to be completed by sometime this winter.
The current renderings of 343 Madison Avenue show a glass curtain wall with strips of angled spandrels for added texture and depth.
The image above depicts the series of large multi-story trusses spanning the setbacks in the building massing.
These sections are shown to be highlighted with bronze-colored walls and lined with landscaped terraces overlooking the Midtown skyline.
The structure culminates in a rectangular glass volume housing a green wall tucked underneath a flat roof parapet.

Excavation for 343 Madison Avenue is expected to begin in 2022, and construction is anticipated to be completed by 2026.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:27 PM
New Yorker for life

City Planning vote is on September 27, then it’s on to the City Council for final approval.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:30 PM
BANNED

This tower has grown one me. Only in NY: 1,100' filler!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 4:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 4:24 PM
New Yorker for life

SEPTEMBER 25, 2021

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 11:09 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

How did this skyscraper end up at 1,050’ since it was at 1,080’? Does anyone what caused this?

Oh and one off-topic question tho…

I know I repeated this many times but I just want to know what happened to Tower Fifth since it’s been almost 6 months since we last discussed it. I heard somewhere that Tower Fifth was going to start construction in 2022 around the same time with this thread skyscraper. Pls don’t delete it, I just want to know. This is the last time I’m telling you this.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 1:46 PM

Demolition is ongoing at the Tower Fifth site assemblage. The last property has been vacated. There has been no announcement of a groundbreaking yet.

Re. 343 Madison, there are different ways to measure height. The building is 1,080 ft. or 1,050 ft., depending on what you're measuring.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 3:27 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Thanks for the info. Wondered what 383 Madison would look like if it was built in 2010s or 2020s instead of being built in 2001…

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:53 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Had this building been approved by the City Council?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
Had this building been approved by the City Council?
They have until November 16.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:13 PM

I'm most interested in the transit improvements this will bring. Grand Central Underground City is expanding and I like it a lot!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I'm most interested in the transit improvements this will bring. Grand Central Underground City is expanding and I like it a lot!
That’s one of the most significant things happening not just in Midtown, but the entire city. They’ve basically built a new terminal next to and beneath Grand Central for the LIRR, effectively putting Grand Central and Penn Station in one location. And all of the new towers will have direct access.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals