HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 7:50 PM

I had a flight this week and flew over the pier site on departure. It looked like the east tower was near the ground as you confirmed. The west tower was still a big hole.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:56 AM

Pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I saw that too. By the end of the year, we’ll finally be on the second floor.
That's how long it takes when it's some guy and his kids building it. Just sayin.

Last edited by phoenixwillrise; Jun 30, 2019 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 7:43 AM

Mirabella

Looks like the shorter tower crane at Mirabella was taken down today. I've always wondered why that crane wasn't installed by the section that will be shorter, rather than the part that will be 20 stories. Seems backward to me the way the cranes are/were positioned, or that both weren't capable of jumping.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Looks like the shorter tower crane at Mirabella was taken down today. I've always wondered why that crane wasn't installed by the section that will be shorter, rather than the part that will be 20 stories. Seems backward to me the way the cranes are/were positioned, or that both weren't capable of jumping.
Well I’m certain that if you talked to the project manager he would explain the rationale behind the crane timelines....

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
Well I’m certain that if you talked to the project manager he would explain the rationale behind the crane timelines....
I'm sure he/she would, but since I don't have access to him/her and he/she isn't on the forum I have to wonder and see if anyone here can offer some insights. Thanks for the obvious. You can go back to lurking now.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I'm sure he/she would, but since I don't have access to him/her and he/she isn't on the forum I have to wonder and see if anyone here can offer some insights. Thanks for the obvious. You can go back to lurking now.
I can't offer any insights, but I'm sure if you spoke to the project manager, he could point you in the right direction.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
I can't offer any insights, but I'm sure if you spoke to the project manager, he could point you in the right direction.
Wow, you literally just repeated what Edifice advised. To repeat myself, does anyone on here have any insights or information? I don't have access to the project manager. I was hoping since this is a discussion board someone here might.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:35 PM

Drove down Rural the other day and noticed a few new red Development notices posted on a few properties. I will circle back this week and post pictures of them.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Drove down Rural the other day and noticed a few new red Development notices posted on a few properties. I will circle back this week and post pictures of them.
Don't bother...as mentioned earlier they are notices for the revisions from the City of Tempe to their core planning document for the areas around the light rail lines.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:44 PM

Twitter is just full of news today. Courts allowing Omni lawsuit to go forward.

https://twitter.com/GeneralBrnovich/...953523200?s=19

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:47 PM

Today has offered a few moments of hope....see my earlier comments about the fact that this parcel use to be property tax generating land within the jurisdiction of the City of Tempe and ASU purchased the land and is now developing it for generating revenue and not education or research...so the Courts are right. I still want the Omni to happen though.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:16 PM

Couple minor notes: the Collective is now called "OLIV" per some banners hung on the fence.

The 5th St. Market in the TTC is open. Pretty standard convenience store. The clerk said their kitchen isn't open yet but will be in about a week.

EDIT: Also, they are cutting down the Ficus trees by City Hall as part of the renovations, which makes me think the renovations aren't worth it.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ed/1625183001/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:22 PM

Construction update on Streetlights deal. Exterior façade looks nice. I like the use of stone and wood look materials.

Palm trees being planted on University drive. HUGE IMPROVEMENT

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Twitter is just full of news today. Courts allowing Omni lawsuit to go forward.

https://twitter.com/GeneralBrnovich/...953523200?s=19
More coverage of the Omni lawsuit:

https://www.statepress.com/article/2...clause-remains

I'm shocked Brnovich even put out his tweet, because the order is not favorable to the AG at all. There were 5 separate legal claims the AG alleged regarding the Omni deal. 4 were dismissed. And the 5th only just survived a motion to dismiss on statute of limitations grounds because of the procedural posture of the case. If ABOR can show that the AG knew or should have known about its claim that the deal violated the Gift Clause more than 1 year before filing the lawsuit, ABOR should win that claim too.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:00 PM

I like Brnovich but this was a waste of his time.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 8:11 PM

However this last statement in the article doesn't make too much sense to me:

"Omni will also be receiving $21 million from the City of Tempe in tax incentives, $19.5 million from ASU to build a conference center that the University will have use of seven days each year and $8 million from ASU to build parking exclusively for hotel use. Omni will then have the option to buy the entire property for only $10 in 60 years.

In lieu of paying taxes, Omni Hotels is expected to pay about $1 million per year in rent to ASU."

This seems like a losing proposition for ASU. Itll take 27+ years for ASU to recoup payments for a conference center and parking garage it can never use? By doing the math, ASU is estimated to make roughly $35 million in lease payments before selling the property for $10... Good or Bad deal?

ASU is STARVING for more parking and to pay for a garage that students cant park in doesn't make sense. Unless this article got it wrong. Thoughts/Opinions?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:40 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Itll take 27+ years for ASU to recoup payments for a conference center and parking garage it can never use?
Here's my take on it:

- ASU will have substantial use of the conference center--reread the summary above.
- ASU is subsidizing parking for hotel guests, some of which will be attendees for their conferences.
- ASU has always wanted larger, modern conference facilities to replace the Memorial Union's small role in that.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:33 PM

Not in Tempe but right next door. Would be cool if it happens.

Massive office complex near Chicago Cubs spring training ballpark in Mesa going to a vote

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...rk/1625522001/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 6:38 PM

Last edited by combusean; Jul 6, 2019 at 9:18 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest