HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 11:54 PM
Resident Cabbie

Thanks to J Church for a bit o' guidance on my first metro map.
I want to make my website operate like a map, so this was practice for building that.

My Flickr

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
This reminds me that I really ought to dabble back into map making. As a 5 year old I used to stick A4's sheets together to create entire regions (one grew to around 30 sheets), detailing roads, motorways, railway lines, shopping centre, historical districts, etc...

I also a few years ago made an attempt to create a 2012 London Underground map....only for 1 week later Transport for London to produce an official version.

What I wish to do once I have finished all the bloody work I have at the moment, is to take the London city proper and London metro area rail maps and combine them. Currently both are seperate and both have 600+ heavy rail stations, ie 1,200 heavy rail (ie no trams or light rail) stations. I also hope to create four other variants. One being geographically accurate over a satellite image, another in the circuit-form showing u/c, approved and proposed lines, another showing old disused lines and another combining disused lines, current lines and new lines. The later of the maps I suspect would cover some 2,500+ heavy rail stations and I suspect my reasonably powerful laptop will struggle to pull together such a vast 'plan'. Infact thinking about it is crazy - 600 stations on one map is mad as it is, multiple that by 4 and I think I'd have to probably be unemployed to get it finished. That said, can anyone suggest such a program that could handle such quantities (I'm a geography student at uni and I can get highly accurate GIS data/images pretty easily) and would operate on what is a reasonable spec laptop?

Screw that idea! I'd done a geographically accurate (but not line seperated - every route was one colour: black and didn't show stops) map for around 70% of London....and I've begun something else - a map of London and its environs beginning with Portsmouth and Southampton which are at the upper south-western edge.....

Notice how its still in the design stage, but its going to eventually include stations, station names (possibly line names), geographical features (ie white for land, blue for water and large water bodies, etc....) and ferry linkages (the pink line is infact on an island - connected on the reverse 'J' in the south by two stations - hence the alignment of both for a catamaran and hovercraft connection. I hope to gradually peice it all together - spreading along the South Coast and then progress up into London and then north and east of it.....

The colours are basics (going to source the proper train operator colours) and will be changed but so far represent: Red: South West Trains; Lime: Southern; Purple: First Great Western; Gold: Virgin trains. Portsmouth is technically an island in its own right and is the reverse J branch (the end of the island will be where crossovers are); Southampton is the other major centre and thats over at the left), while the Isle of Wight 'Island Line' is the pink line, while the black will be changed to represent what is currently a heritage line.

I am starting to regret however deciding to seperate express/local and different route lines as Portsmouth and Southampton are small rail hubs.....That means there aren't for example 8 lines running into Portsmouth, just 8 lines using what is 50% 4 tracks and 50% 2 track routing.

I dread to imagine what Clapham Junction (busiest station in Europe) is going to be like - possibly 100+ lines converging! At least:|

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 2:11 AM
Good times!

This thread needs some attention!

Here is a map that I just finished after letting it sit for a while:

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 12:28 PM
Just a sailor

Ya know, I have digital copies of the ca. 1950 maps of the system. You coulda just asked for those...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 5:34 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
Very cool map M2M.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 3:02 AM
Good times!

Thanks.

Is the 1950 map sort of a track map? That was a main source i used, but there was actualy a significant amount of abandonment between 1946-47 and 1950, which makes the route number part a bit incomplete. I'd love to see your version, regardless.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 8:36 AM
of the bay area

Bay Area map I used to coordinate meetings of Bay Area Artists Unite.

The line thicknesses correspond to the frequency of weekend service.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 9:12 AM
Retarded User

My version for Munich:

And Amsterdam, as it was once planned...only the light blue lines have been built; the medium blue line is under construction. The dark blue lines? Oh well...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 9:18 AM
Retarded User

My map for New York 2020 AD...if the Second Avenue Subway ever gets built...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 5:50 PM

My map with almost all proposed projects included as dashed lines.
Diagrams | SVMetro Blog | "Urban planning, whether based in projects, plans, or process, works only when the results are feasible simultaneously in physical, functional, financial, and political ways. Having merely one or two of these feasibilities just won't work" --Alexander Garvin

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 5:39 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Outfreakin'standing Cheat.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 7:28 AM

It really is.

You're going to Iran?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 11:26 PM

Dayton regional interurban rail and bus tranist before WWII, with a focus on interurban rail. The last ones to run was the D-X, ending regional operation in 1940 (though it ran city car service into modern times), and CL&E, ending suburban service in 1941.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 6:20 PM

Thanks.

Here's the same map with fare zones added:

Diagrams | SVMetro Blog | "Urban planning, whether based in projects, plans, or process, works only when the results are feasible simultaneously in physical, functional, financial, and political ways. Having merely one or two of these feasibilities just won't work" --Alexander Garvin

Old Posted Oct 22, 2006, 3:47 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Damn, Cheat. Very nice again.

(Indeed, Steve. In January. Yeah, that's just great.)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 8:47 PM
cities|transit|croissants

This is a proposed light rail line in Gaithersburg, MD. I made the map for a local advocacy group that's hoping to convince the state to shift the proposed alignment.

The advocacy group is right, btw. Their alignment is better on so many levels it's practically magic.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 3:01 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Please pay no attention to the heading, I will brief you on the timelines and the sort.

I am also using a numbering system of routes that have not yet been established. I have assumed that the LRT will number its routes in a x00 range that has not already been claimed by Strathcona County Transit, St. Albert City transit and Edmonton Transit. This leaves the 300-399 range clear and thus I have used it for this demonstration.

The 301 (the current line) goes from Clareview to Health Sciences. The connection to Southgate will open in 2008 and the Century Park line will open in 2010-2012.

The extension of 301 will probably be built after the 302 and the 303 lines are built.

The 302 or the 303 line will be debated on which will be going first. The biggest stumbling block for the 302 is that it goes through some wealthy neighbourhoods along the river valley. This may or may not delay the construction of the LRT, but may increase costs from what they might otherwise have been less expensive. Assuming the 303 is built first (since it is the shortest extension), it will probably start construction in 2013-2015 and be completed by at least 2017. If the 302 is started first, it will begin construction within the timeframe of 2013 to 2015. It will probably be completed as late as 2020, but could be fast-tracked to 2017.

After that, the lines described are pretty much hypotheticals and may take another 50 years to build after that. But once 2020 rolls around, those three lines should be finished and be serving this city a lot better than it currently is.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 2:31 AM
of the bay area

California High Speed Rail

part of an for a local anime convention's comic contest, full entry posted in transportation forum:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...1&postcount=27

now that's one headline we'd all love to see...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:07 PM
Retarded User

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 2:03 PM
Retarded User

^^ That's the Amsterdam metro map. You American guys probably only know the city from its 'free' sex and drugs, but we also have a rapid transit system down here!
The design has been inspired by the Washington Metro map - with its thick lines, smooth curves and station symbols.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art