HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:10 AM

DETROIT | The Ashton | 156 FT | 12 Floors

Quote:
Max Broock gets listing for 98-unit The Ashton condo project in downtown Detroit
By KIRK PINHO. Crain's Detroit. April 11, 2017.

A Birmingham-based residential real estate brokerage has been retained to sell 98 condominiums planned for downtown Detroit.

Max Broock Realtors is marketing The Ashton condos, expected to be complete in early 2019, at 659 Howard St., according to a news release.

The company hasn't been active in large Detroit listings the last several decades because of the decline in Detroit real estate, but now is a good time to re-enter the market, said Christian Grothe, real estate salesman for Max Broock listing the condos for sale.

"Now there are so many new developments coming up, and we have a brand history of being a boutique, luxury firm selling high-end properties, and there is much more of that going on now than there has been over the last two to three decades," he said.

Ranging from 700 to 2,500 square feet, The Ashton units are expected to sell for $400 per square foot and higher, Grothe said. For example, the lowest price unit available is 601 square feet listing for $267,000 ($444.26 per square foot) while the most expensive is $849,000 for 1,917 square feet ($442.88 per square foot).

The 12-story planned building is being developed by a joint venture between Eric Means, who is one of the developers behind a planned hotel with Detroit-based Roxbury Group LLC; Brian Holdwick, a former Detroit Economic Growth Corp. executive; and Francis Resendes, whose Detroit-based Resendes Design Group is the architect on the project, according to Grothe.

It is expected to cost $35 million, according to media reports last year.

Grothe said two private equity firms have signed letters of intent to commit financing on the project, which has also received brownfield tax incentives.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ndo-project-in

The area is pretty dead in terms of street activity though there's a number of major businesses located in the area. This was previously proposed as a shorter building with no ground retail.

Last edited by animatedmartian; Nov 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM. Reason: updated height

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 3:19 PM

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:14 AM
somewhere in-between

Looking forward to seeing this one happen.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:55 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I think given the location so close to the river and so close to the heart of downtown, that the developer will end up regretting they didn't go higher. I do understand this area of downtown is still in its infancy, but it's really too close in to the tall buildings and what will be future high-rises to only be 12 floors. Residents will lose their riverviews in another decade at most, I predict. This honestly looks like it should be twice as tall. 12 stories would be for something right on the riverfront or much further inland.

Apart from that, I can't much complain.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:54 PM

Per the developer's Facebook Page for this project, the floor count has increased from 12 to 14 floors.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 9:03 PM

So, I got one of their emails this afternoon and shot them back one not expecting a reply. Got a reply back in a few minutes. lol Apparently, the 14-story count is because they've added another underground floor, so it's still 12 above-ground floors. However, they did tell me that that the unit count is up to 103 from 96 condos, and that they are shooting for a mid-to-late 2019 completion/opening.

Replied back asking them about a height so we can get some kind of idea how this might look on the skyline. If I get anything back, I'll let you know.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 12:12 AM

I always thought floor counts only included those above ground. Well, thanks for getting that info anyway.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 12:30 AM

Yes, that's all it ever included. For whatever reason - maybe to make it sound more substantial - the developer described it as 14 stories in the press release email and facebook post. It originally had a single underground level.

Anyway, the real estate agent told me he'd get back with me about the height. I don't expect anything until next week, though. I'm guessing anywhere in between 125-150 feet, because the floors do look fairly tall for a residential building.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:38 AM

The overall height of this one is currently planned for 156 feet. The good thing about the area is that given the adjacent properties, both major sides of the tower will likely keep good views for the forseeable future.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:41 PM

When will construction start?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:19 AM

It's expected to be complete by mid-2019 so presumably construction will start within the next couple of months.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:21 AM

Update: They are hoping to begin construction in late spring.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:45 AM

So it seems like the lot changed hands at some point without notice. The proposal for this lot is now a 154-room mid-rise hotel.

Quote:
Local developers to build 154-room Cambria Hotel as part of mixed-use project in Detroit

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...roject-detroit

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:59 AM

They’re aiming to break ground on the hotel by June, and should be done by June of next year. They’ll be using modular construction. Floors 1-2 will be parking, 3-6 will be the hotel.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive