HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
In that case, I'm somewhat more optimistic as to how the latter two entities will handle things.
You might well understand by now that every time I see the words "project subject to review by community board" put forth in that order within the same written sentence/utterance,
my tendency is to grow somewhat concerned.
Community Board input is always advisory, but when the CB approves something, it's usually just a formality until something is approved, since the DB is usually the voice of opposition.

However, Landmarks (LPC) will need to be satisfied with alterations to the factory itself.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/26/ny.../26domino.html

They don't like the glass addition, or any additional signage on the building.

Quote:
Commissioner Michael Devonshire expressed concerns that the roofline of the former factory would be obscured.
Street-level signs above the building entrances would say “Domino,” a touch that the commission said was excessive.

Quote:
Some of the commissioners at a public hearing in Lower Manhattan Tuesday objected to the height and massing of proposed
glass-clad additions to the roof of the iconic former factory on the Williamsburg waterfront.

I don't mind the glass addition. I think it helps integrate the building better into the overall design of the complex. I'm thinking that without it, surrounded by the newer towers,
it will look like something that should have been taken down. Maybe they can add that space to the backside of the building, where it won't be above the roofline.

As originally approved...

http://abduzeedo.com/new-domino-new-brooklyn

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:17 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/01/...redevelopment/

Marty Markowitz approves plans for Two Trees’ Domino redevelopment

January 03, 2014

Quote:
Outgoing Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz has approved Two Trees Management’s plan for the Domino Sugar Factory redevelopment. Jed Walentas’ ultimate vision for the project consists of four buildings with over 500,000 square feet of office space, 70,000 square feet of retail along the East River and 2.3 million square feet of residential space.

The development started the public review process in November, and now has to secure the approval of both the City Planning Commission and the City Council.

Markowitz gave the nod to the proposal, but asked for a few tweaks to the commercial space and affordable housing, according to Brownstoner.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014...eaving-office/

Quote:
Two Trees’ Domino proposal has cleared another level of the land use review process. On the last day of the year, Tuesday, outgoing Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz approved the plan along with a few minor modifications, such as variances for zoning, commercial space and affordable housing.

Next up, Domino will need approval from the City Planning Commission and the City Council to get full ULURP certification.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Everything back on track...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/01/...sugar-project/

Landmarks OKs $1.5B Domino Sugar project

Mark Maurer
January 14, 2014

Quote:
The Landmarks Preservation Commission unanimously approved Two Trees Management’s $1.5 billion Domino Sugar Refinery project today, though the developer will need to make some additional revisions to its design.

Two Trees vowed to alter the project to account for the commission’s concerns about the visibility of glass rooftop features. Articulation was will be added to the façade, making the mechanical additions more visible and making a few changes to the chimney to make it more prominent from the east, a source told The Real Deal.

The commission had said last month it would not support the architecture firm Beyer Blinder Belle’s proposed designs if Two Trees did not make those changes.

“I’m delighted that this sensitive adaptive reuse project will restore life to this iconic building on the Brooklyn waterfront,” Robert Tierney, Landmarks chair and commissioner, said in a statement.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/01/...redevelopment/

Marty Markowitz approves plans for Two Trees’ Domino redevelopment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdnZw6yKlRg

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:31 AM

Moving forward.

I do hope to god however, that they don't build that demented lego building just to the north of the factory.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
Moving forward.

I do hope to god however, that they don't build that demented lego building just to the north of the factory.
The plan as it is proposed is what is expected to get built. The only issue was with the factory building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 5:19 PM

They took down the height of the tallest tower.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
-
This is nothing short of iconic in my opinion. A big, big deal.

Still wish they could have kept the chute on the factory, but oh well.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Jan 22, 2014 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah this is stone cold badass. I really hope these shop towerss end up exactly as depicted and not flattened out and dulled through ve'ing.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 9:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They took down the height of the tallest tower.
And increased the height of the others. At least those are the heights at this point of the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
This is nothing short of iconic in my opinion.
Downtown Brooklyn may not have a signature tower yet, but the Domino project is iconic in its own right.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Downtown Brooklyn may not have a signature tower yet, but the Domino project is iconic in its own right.
With it's massive height (for the outer boroughs), wacky design, and riverfront presence, it will stand out until the end of time.

I reiterate: This is a really, really big deal.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:20 AM
New Yorker for life

That shot with the bridge is already postcard worthy. It makes you wonder what Gary Barnett will develop at the Pathmark site next to the Manhattan Bridge. If done right, it could also be iconic.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:37 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
This is nothing short of iconic in my opinion. A big, big deal.
This is what I was thinking. This thing will be an amazing architectural landmark and showpiece, and an example and/or inspiration for other architecture on waterfronts around the world.

This is how you do modern architecture without making it look kitschy or tacky.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:28 AM

I think the towers look great. But the real genius of the architecture is found in the street level renders.

Hopefully they'll shift the paradigm concerning quality riverfront building in Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I think the towers look great. But the real genius of the architecture is found in the street level renders.

Hopefully they'll shift the paradigm concerning quality riverfront building in Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey
Don't forget Staten Island.

Anything big on our waterfront would be a huge addition to the city.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Don't forget Staten Island.

Anything big on our waterfront would be a huge addition to the city.

I think the Staten Island wheel will corner the market on "big" there....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 8:20 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

New Renderings: Domino Redevelopment
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON JANUARY 27TH 2014 AT 12:00 PM

Domino Redevelopment — image from SHoP

Quote:
Domino’s skyscrapers will vary in height; the factory’s addition will bring it to 16 floors, and the shortest of the new buildings will stand 17 stories. All of the other towers will be over 40 floors, with the tallest — within ‘Site D’ — rising 565 feet.

The full plan’s build-out is unlikely until the 2020s, but once ULURP is completed, construction on the first 42-story residential tower can begin.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jan 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I think the Staten Island wheel will corner the market on "big" there....
For sure, but 5 to 10 more 20-30 story buildings and the impact would be pretty significant. I expect that to happen in the St.George and Stapleton neighborhoods eventually. (Stapleton is roughly half way between the Ferry Terminal and the Verrazanno, with a rapid transit stop, making it an attractive place for people looking to utilize both public and motor transportation)

Sorry if this is off-topic guys, but I have an obsession with NJ + outer borough development along the water.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 2:19 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

This was back in January-- I wonder what the demo progress is now...

As of January 2014...
Photo Credit: j-biz

©j-biz

©j-biz

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Feb 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction