HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quarry Yards - Bankhead/Westside

I think this deserves it's own thread now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
WOAH.

PLANS REVEALED FOR $400 MILLION FIRST PHASE OF QUARRY YARDS

Feb 28,2018 09:22 am 0
Phase I, expected to break ground this year, consists of 575,000sf Class A office, 850 residential units, a 300-key hotel, and 75,000sf of retail, restaurants.
Mark Teixeira, former Atlanta Braves first baseman and MLB All-Star, along with Urban Creek Partners Jimmy Barry and Joel Bowman, Wednesday unveiled plans for Quarry Yards.

The 70-acre mixed-use development, adjacent to the Bankhead Marta Station on Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway, will "transform the Grove Park neighborhood and create a lifestyle community connected to nature, fitness, and innovation."

The development’s 27-acre, $400 million first phase is expected to break ground by the end of 2018.

Phase one of Quarry Yards, which is 1.5 miles from Teixeira’s alma mater Georgia Tech, is currently zoned to include 575,000 square feet of Class A office, 850 residential units, a 300-key hotel, and 75,000 square feet of retail and restaurants.

Urban Creek Partners also announced it is working with Pollack Shores Real Estate Group on forming a joint venture partnership for the multifamily development and is in discussions with an innovative retail partner on a food hall concept.

“Urban Creek Partners has been in this community for the past 10 years, listening and learning about what our neighbors want in this development," Teixeira said in the release.

"Our plan is to continue to be here for the long haul and create an economic driver that will lift the entire area – one which has been overlooked for far too long."

Designed by HKS Architects and Populous, Quarry Yards is being master-planned to become the gateway to Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry, the City of Atlanta’s newest and largest park scheduled to open in 2019.

The building designs will encompass the area’s industrial roots and add an "edgy, energetic feel" with the inclusion of brick, glass, concrete, metal, and iron to the structures and container storage units that will be used for start-up businesses and restaurant concepts.

Original stone foundations will be incorporated in specific areas and some existing metal roofs may be re-purposed around the site.

Teixeira and Bowman had the vision to see this neighborhood’s potential and in 2008 began a plan to revitalize the area that would be driven by the residents and natural resources of the community.

The two formed the Emerald Corridor Foundation to focus on restoring Proctor Creek and raising funds to initiate and complete the Proctor Creek Greenway to foster a healthy environment and support thriving urban communities.

While sections are open now, the Greenway will be completed in April.

“Quarry Yards will turn an area that has been inactive for many years into a thriving community that creates jobs, offers unprecedented connections to nature and provides a range of new experiences for current and future residents, office tenants and visitors to the area,” Bowman said.

Other project partners include Brasfield & Gorrie (general contractor/construction), B+C Studio (landscape architect), Kimley-Horn (project engineer), and CBRE’s Bryan Heller and Peter McGuone who will be the lead project brokers.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:46 PM

And updated renderings....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Quarry Yards - West Midtown (Updated Rendering)

This is an amazing development. West Midtown is absolutely on fire.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:30 AM

This definitely deserves its own thread and might be the biggest project in the city. It will be a total game changer for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:33 AM

this is like the TOD that could be built over off of doraville station but seems to have more effort behind it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
this is like the TOD that could be built over off of doraville station but seems to have more effort behind it.
The Doraville TOD is already underway. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=166

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:32 AM

Some more QY images

Site plan (I have to admit this does look like a campus)

VIEW FROM ELDRIDGE DRIVE PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY

Skyline View

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
VIEW FROM ELDRIDGE DRIVE PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY

I really like the idea of creating public green space along the creek, but it appears they're putting this park in a hole. I think this could end up being a permanently closed public park depending on how they choose to align the storm drain. I also uncertain about the creek being able to handle all the runoff from these impermeable areas, but I'm not an expert on Proctor Creek, so I'll have to defer to someone else for their input.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:31 PM

My understanding is that there is federal oversight over Proctor Creek, as it drains into the Chattahoochee and is designated as a priority Urban Waters location by the EPA. I have no idea what that means and obviously the EPA ain't what it used to be, but I suspect that there are a number of restrictions over where and how things can be built within the stream buffer.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:37 PM

Prefer the Previous Design Concept

I liked the first generation design much better. It was certainly more imaginative with a light and airy feeling more suited to the park-like setting. All the reflective glass surfaces helped to mirror the surrounding greenspace.

The faux Turn-of-the-Century heavy industrial look that they resorted to is getting stale and overused already. This site is so outstanding and has so much potential just to be wasted on more of this copy & paste "easy" architectural approach.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:50 PM

New Renderings

from Curbed

80,000 square feet of office and retail in the project’s first phase

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:06 AM

It’s really starting to feel like Atlanta is about to undergo a massive construction phase that transforms several neighborhoods and the *feel* of the city all over.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
It’s really starting to feel like Atlanta is about to undergo a massive construction phase that transforms several neighborhoods and the *feel* of the city all over.
No doubt. Midtown, Buckhead village, Memorial Drive, West Midtown already feel completely different than 5 years ago and it feels like the transformation that will occur over even the next 2.5 years will be even larger than the last 5 years.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
No doubt. Midtown, Buckhead village, Memorial Drive, West Midtown already feel completely different than 5 years ago and it feels like the transformation that will occur over even the next 2.5 years will be even larger than the last 5 years.
Yep, the amount of neighborhoods that feel walkable will increase with the next wave of developments and many of the denser neighborhoods will be more interconnected. Each of which will make Atlanta more cohesive and present more desirable options of where to live and work. This is why land use/zoning regulations and the transit projects we fund are essential right now.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:03 PM

QUOTE=Street Advocate;8325189]It’s really starting to feel like Atlanta is about to undergo a massive construction phase that transforms several neighborhoods and the *feel* of the city all over.[/QUOTE]

Agree. So much more of the city seems to primed for an urban transformation than ever before. In fact I would say that transformation not only seems possible but imminent and in some areas that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.

This is not your grandfather's Atlanta anymore.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 11:17 PM

Drone video of the site

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:48 AM

They have updated some of the renderings. I think it's an improvement over what we have seen previously.

http://quarryyards.com/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:27 PM

Reminds me of Georgia Tech over by the CULC. Hoping they activate phase 1B with retail along proctor creek and the community green. Also, that’s a hilly walk up those offices! Definitely seems like this is coming along better, although I’m still not a huge fan of the campus layout and wish MARTA would let the surface parking lot be developed to better engage with the existing community and proposed development

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:13 PM

I like the aesthetic (brick and black), but the site plan is pretty bad. It's just a suburban style corporate campus. It doesn't really address the MARTA station or the beltline, and doesn't connect into the surrounding neighborhood. The closest thing to the MARTA station is a surface parking lot - really? (I realize the developer may not own that block, in which case, that's on MARTA). It's an inward focused superblock. I love that there is development in this area, and it's way better than a standard Fuqua strip mall design, but there are some pretty simple fixes that could make this a lot better.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:52 PM

I agree completely. The development has so much potential. but they really need to refine the site plan.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I like the aesthetic (brick and black), but the site plan is pretty bad. It's just a suburban style corporate campus. It doesn't really address the MARTA station or the beltline, and doesn't connect into the surrounding neighborhood. The closest thing to the MARTA station is a surface parking lot - really? (I realize the developer may not own that block, in which case, that's on MARTA). It's an inward focused superblock. I love that there is development in this area, and it's way better than a standard Fuqua strip mall design, but there are some pretty simple fixes that could make this a lot better.
I feel like most people on this site are ‘urbanists’ (including myself) and like street grids and density. With that said, there are a lot of people who like this type of development, I.e. suburban folks and people who like a little nature around their work environment. I think this project caters to the upper management types who like this type of development, but also want to be close to the city and transit. This development also centers around proctor creek and the multi use trail and centers around that as one of the primary amenities of the project. It seems like MARTa is on board with TOD, so I’m not worried that the surface lot will be that way forever. Let’s not forget that this developer is taking a risk building this project in a part of town with no existing office space and some might catagorize as an unproven market. I feel like this is a high quality project and I think it is executed well considering the flood prone creek bed running straight through the site and respecting the surrounding SFH neighborhoods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta