HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 11:11 PM

Are you sure? I know they added parking but it doesn't look like the parkade footprint is any closer to Stradbrook than the original.

Also, I think the Parker neighbourhood looks pretty good but there's a fatal flaw to me – the housing is so far from the stops! I think it's because of the hydro ROW, but the station is in the middle of a field.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The problem lies in the fact that the transitway is half-assed and in its current state could never spur the type of real TOD we see in other places.

Because we literally can't even build a whole line of half decent functional rapid transit, we end up with half baked excuses for TOD because we don't have the balls to take the necessary steps to provide real mass transit. The result is that people pretty much still need a car. As beggars we can't be choosers when it comes to this sort of development when we can't even provide the preconditions for good development to take place.
I call plagiarism; you must have copied one of my previous posts from a long time ago (just kidding!).

While I do agree with you, I can throw this development a tiny bit of bone here... They can still build ontop of a parkade. It's hilarious that the parkade takes up more ground sq.ft. than the actual building but that's Winnipeg for ya!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:07 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Are you sure? I know they added parking but it doesn't look like the parkade footprint is any closer to Stradbrook than the original.

Also, I think the Parker neighbourhood looks pretty good but there's a fatal flaw to me – the housing is so far from the stops! I think it's because of the hydro ROW, but the station is in the middle of a field.
Yes. That’s why. It’s too bad.

I rode my bike in there a few days ago. Hilarious to see them building huge rapid transit stations in a forest.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 5:39 PM

I know it's beaten to death... I lament the lack of townhomes, but if I was a buyer/renter, that wouldn't be where I get a townhome. Assiniboine is much nicer for that.

Quote:

It's a beyond moronic error.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I know it's beaten to death... I lament the lack of townhomes, but if I was a buyer/renter, that wouldn't be where I get a townhome. Assiniboine is much nicer for that.

It's a beyond moronic error.
It's compounded by the fact that trees can't be planted under the ROW. The wind in the winter will be a major negative. Unfortunately, the developer of the Parker Lands can't do anything to mitigate it. I think the development is great but the station location is a victim of it's circumstance.

Do you think fencing would help or be possible to make it more manageable?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:20 AM

Drove past today. Digging has begun.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
It's compounded by the fact that trees can't be planted under the ROW. The wind in the winter will be a major negative. Unfortunately, the developer of the Parker Lands can't do anything to mitigate it. I think the development is great but the station location is a victim of it's circumstance.

Do you think fencing would help or be possible to make it more manageable?
Yeah, it's like not only did the city royally mess up SWBRT with the dogleg – but the whole reason they did it isn't even able to come to proper fruition. The dogleg was embarrassment enough – this is another level of incompetence.

I don't think you'd really be able to do fencing... unless it wouldn't block hydro access at all. And judging by how open it is, doesn't seem like it'd do much. What really should have happened is the transitway actually looped under the ROW to go through the new Parker residential, then around the back of the dog park to where McGillvray Station is going. Keep Parker's park and ride where it's planned, and Parker Station is a narrow-profile station like Harkness Station, right in the middle of the new neighbourhood.

Where Parker Station is planned is ridiculous – you'll have Parker and McGillvray Stations on the edge of the same neighbourhood, serving the same square km of people. If they weren't going to build a station right in Parker, surrounded by real TOD, they should have eliminated one of these 2 stations, and just put one in right at the bend in the transitway – a max 1 minute walk from each of the planned stations.

My #1 preferred option is in red, option #2 in blue.

Note – proposed red route & station could move around almost anywhere within the Parker area, but right now where it's planned – over 50% of Parker neighbourhood is 500m+ away from the station.

Last edited by buzzg; Jun 27, 2018 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's like not only did the city royally mess up SWBRT with the dogleg – but the whole reason they did it isn't even able to come to proper fruition. The dogleg was embarrassment enough – this is another level of incompetence.

I don't think you'd really be able to do fencing... unless it wouldn't block hydro access at all. And judging by how open it is, doesn't seem like it'd do much. What really should have happened is the transitway actually looped under the ROW to go through the new Parker residential, then around the back of the dog park to where McGillvray Station is going. Keep Parker's park and ride where it's planned, and Parker Station is a narrow-profile station like Harkness Station, right in the middle of the new neighbourhood.

Where Parker Station is planned is ridiculous – you'll have Parker and McGillvray Stations on the edge of the same neighbourhood, serving the same square km of people. If they weren't going to build a station right in Parker, surrounded by real TOD, they should have eliminated one of these 2 stations, and just put one in right at the bend in the transitway – a max 1 minute walk from each of the planned stations.

My #1 preferred option is in red, option #2 in blue.

Note – proposed red route & station could move around almost anywhere within the Parker area, but right now where it's planned – over 50% of Parker neighbourhood is 500m+ away from the station.

They made the same mistake further south. Why have both the Clarence and Chevrier stations? they are so close to each other. You only really need one station.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
They made the same mistake further south. Why have both the Clarence and Chevrier stations? they are so close to each other. You only really need one station.
Winnipeg Transit has a clear institutional tendency to space stops too close together. You see it just about everywhere. I guess it's no surprise that they would act the same way on the RT route.

But even by WT standards, the Clarence/Chevrier situation is taking things to extremes. Those stops are close together even for a normal on-street bus route.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:59 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a transit thread^^^.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:07 PM

There's nothing to report on this project though. There is no work being done at this site today.

They ripped up part the sidewalk for some reason. Is there supposed to be street access for this site on Stradbrook?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Drove past today. Digging has begun.

What about this?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
What about this?
That was yesterday, nothing today. I see 4 trucks but they must all be in the trailer.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 6:52 PM

They're bringing in the drilling machine to start doing the foundation. I won't be long now thill this site kicks into high gear.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 6:03 PM

Work on this site has really picked up. Machinery to drill for the foundation is on site and will probably start once the hole is finished.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Work on this site has really picked up. Machinery to drill for the foundation is on site and will probably start once the hole is finished.
Yeah, imagine.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 4:44 AM

Will this be another tower crane? TNS, 300 Main, UWCRC...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:10 PM

They are well underway hammering in these piles. They don't appear to hammer them in with any kind of system. They feel like they are put in in a bit of a haphazard manner.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:08 PM

I'm not an expert on piles. But I believe there is a certain way to install them that limits heaving. Hammering lots of piles in a small area will actually heave the ground they are being driving into.

So maybe they are installing them in a more even fashion across the site to limit the heaving?? Remember these are driven piles and not caissons, for what looks like the parkade portion of the tower.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm not an expert on piles. But I believe there is a certain way to install them that limits heaving. Hammering lots of piles in a small area will actually heave the ground they are being driving into.

So maybe they are installing them in a more even fashion across the site to limit the heaving?? Remember these are driven piles and not caissons, for what looks like the parkade portion of the tower.
It actually does appear that there a ton of them densely packed into a tight area. And most of them so far are near Harkness, where the tower is going. Lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan