HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:15 PM
Let It Rise!

New $500M Sandy development includes tallest Utah building outside SLC

https://kutv.com/news/local/new-500m...ng-outside-slc

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post

Glad to see this move forward... potentially still I guess. The previous renderings were much better. But then again the previous renderings were more residential in nature.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:

This is DOA. I bet this never gets built.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:15 AM

For the site plan to be this far along, they have a large quality control issue:

Sorry the image is large, image is from the KUTV 2 website.

If you look at #7 (parking structure on the east side of the 18 story building), it lists 11,444 stalls.

I don't know how far they will get with the project but I know they were showing the lot to investors last week. They did helicopter tours of the site and surrounding area. I know a few people that work in the building just north of the site.

If this moves forward, I will see about getting some pictures of the project as it is built.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:31 AM
They all float down here

I'm skeptical this building is taller than the County High Rise.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:57 AM

I saw some backhoes at the tower 8 site today. Although when I got close it looked like they were actually working on the road. I'm not sure if they have anything to do with the project or not.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:24 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

There's no way the #7 garage has 11,444 parking stalls.

Using a very suburban parking requirement of 4 parking spaces per 1,000 SF of office/retail, 2 spaces per apartment, and 1 space per hotel room, the entire development would need only about 2,500 spaces.

If that were the case, subtracting out the 636 stalls in #2 garage and 152 stalls in #9 garage would leave around 1,700 spaces remaining. So #7 garage is probably 1,444 spaces. They accidentally stuck an extra 1 in the front.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 6:44 PM

Why, oh why, are they building over the protected wetland/park/sanctuary area? (Edit: Promenade Wetland Park) How is the city ok with that? I was under the impression that by law for X amount of wetland disturbed, a developer must remediate an equal amount of X plus an additional Y. Where is the Y? If any of you have ever been there, it is such a unique asset to downtown Sandy. Was this ever a concern that was brought up?

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Apr 12, 2019 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Why, oh why, are they building over the protected wetland/park/sanctuary area? (Edit: Promenade Wetland Park) How is the city ok with that? I was under the impression that by law for X amount of wetland disturbed, a developer must remediate an equal amount of X plus an additional Y. Where is the Y? If any of you have ever been there, it is such a unique asset to downtown Sandy. Was this ever a concern that was brought up?
Wow! They're going to build the apartments directly on top of the wetlands. I thought there were pretty stringent requirements for wetlands and tons of reviews required to modify them, but I've seen several wetlands destroyed in Draper/Bluffdale area over the past few years.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 4:00 AM

Salt Lake City's skyline is about to dramatically change. Here's how

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...heres-how.html

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City's skyline is about to see some dramatic changes.

Several skyscrapers are now under consideration or have already cleared the city's planning department. And while they won't surpass what's now the city's tallest building, that could be coming soon.

"There's no question" Salt Lake City's skyline is about to get higher and denser, said Nick Norris, Salt Lake City's planning director, though he declined to disclose any details of other projects expected but haven't yet hit the city's planning pipeline.

"But we are definitely going to see more high-rise development downtown in the near future."

Salt Lake City's current tallest building — the Wells Fargo Center — stands at 422 feet, just 2 feet taller than the Church Office Building of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's an "urban legend" that buildings can't be taller than the church's office building, Norris said.

There isn't a maximum building height in downtown's Central Business District, though there are certain heights that trigger design review requirements.

Though it's not yet clear what will eventually become Salt Lake City's tallest skyscraper, there are several sky-high projects that have won a stamp of approval and are headed toward construction, including:

• A long-envisioned Salt Palace convention hotel on the northwest corner of 200 South and West Temple.

• A 24-story tower that will become the city's first ever residential rental skyscraper at 151 S. State.

• A 28-story high-rise of pure office space at 95 S. State.

That means that very soon, Salt Lake visitors and residents can expect a flurry of construction in the heart of Utah's capital to make way for the new skyscrapers.

"This time next year, we'll have four or five cranes" operating in the heart of the city, said Dee Brewer, executive director of the Downtown Alliance.

Brewer also hinted at some "preliminary conversations" with developers who have "other ambitious plans" for the area, though he also said it was too soon to give more details than that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 6:03 AM

Makid, do you or others have an idea on those other mysterious projects?
Block 67?
Carl’s Jr.?
Millennium?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Makid, do you or others have an idea on those other mysterious projects?
Block 67?
Carl’s Jr.?
Millennium?
Block 67 - phase 1 should start later this summer I believe.

Carl's Jr. - I haven't heard anything.

370 Millennium - Last I heard was that the design was possibly changing as they were looking into a height increase. This is months old (6-7 months) but since then they did take additional core samples at the site.

On another note, the Marmalade project is picking up steam as heavy equipment has arrived on the site.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Block 67 - phase 1 should start later this summer I believe.

Carl's Jr. - I haven't heard anything.

370 Millennium - Last I heard was that the design was possibly changing as they were looking into a height increase. This is months old (6-7 months) but since then they did take additional core samples at the site.

On another note, the Marmalade project is picking up steam as heavy equipment has arrived on the site.
Thanks for the update! Actually, what I was asking was if you had any idea what the mysterious projects are in the article? I was just wondering if it was any of those.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Not the best photos in this update, but the ACC med project on the U campus is huge

https://uofuhealth.utah.edu/notes/po...p#.XLC_QuhKiUl

Last edited by delts145; May 14, 2019 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:01 PM

Thanks for the update Delts. The last picture is of the Sugarhouse Clinic on the former Shopko site.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:22 PM
Let It Rise!

"Originally Posted by SLCPolitico View Post
Yeah, there was a lot of mistaken reporting initially.

"Google Cloud, the cloud services division of search giant Google, announced in a blog post that it's expanding its global cloud "infrastructure" to Salt Lake City, but the company confirmed to the Deseret News the move will not include construction of a new data center in the region."

Source: Deseret News"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
If it doesn’t include construction of a new data center, then they must be repurposing another data center or leasing another company’s data center.

Stenar, maybe it's here.

http://www.westjordanjournal.com/201...uctor-building

"PayPal and other tenants that will be filling in the building in the next six months. There is still a third of the building that has available data space for more tenants in the future."

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:22 PM

Ken Garff family pledges $17.5M to Rice-Eccles Stadium expansion

https://www.ksl.com/article/46531210...dium-expansion

Quote:
Ahead of the annual Red-White game, the University of Utah announced that the Ken Garff family has pledged $17.5 million to the Rice-Eccles Stadium expansion project — the single-largest donation in Utah Athletics history.

The project, which is set to begin following the conclusion of the 2020 football season, will enclose the stadium through a rebuild of the south end zone. That part of the end zone will raise the stadium seating capacity from 45,807 to 51,444 and provide premium seating.

The south end zone rebuild will be called the Ken Garff Performance Zone as the Garff family becomes the lead gift in the $80 million stadium renovation. The university said it has raised $32 million of its $35 million goal so far in philanthropic gifts. The remaining $45 million will come from the various athletics “sources associated with the project.”

“We are incredibly grateful for the continuing generosity of the Garff family,” University of Utah President Ruth V. Watkins said. “This extraordinary gift will dramatically improve the fan experience at Rice-Eccles Stadium during football games and many other events.”

Director of Athletics Mark Harlan also thanked the Garff family for the donation, saying it’s a “transformational gift” that will “allow for a new and enhanced experience for our faithful fan base, as well as improving upon what is the best home-field advantage in the Pac-12 and beyond.”

“My father, Ken Garff, would be delighted for this day because he was a very enthusiastic sports supporter of the university,” Bob Garff said during the Saturday press conference adorning his family’s name throughout the building. “We bleed red and love the university.”

The Garff family, along with many other big-time donors such as the Spence Eccles family, have been instrumental in building up the facilities at the University of Utah. The Garff family has long been supportive of the athletics program as well as the business programs at the university.

“I want to offer a sincere, heartfelt thanks to the Garff family for this incredible gift,” Utah football head coach Kyle Whittingham said. “This really cements this project and makes it an absolute reality. This is the final piece to the puzzle for this stadium, to me. It’s already one of the best facilities in the country, but this will make it over the top.

“We indeed appreciate this. It helps us as a program on so many levels. It’s great for our players, our fans, the future recruits. There’s so many positives.”

Garff said the goal of his family’s donation is to “develop this new facility into a show stopper — and I mean show-stopper venue for recruiting and gameday performance."

“It will enlarge the capacity of the stadium by somewhere close to 5,000 new seats and add a new locker room, suites and lounges that will create a marvelous new facility that all Utahn’s can be proud of,” he said.

With the stadium expansion, the university is again positioning itself to be the destination to house the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics in either 2026 or 2030 should Salt Lake City be selected by the International Olympic Committee.

“I imagine as well that the International Olympic Committee will take note at what is going on here today — to this edition to this iconic stadium,” Harlan said.

“If the IOC is willing, it will again be the venue for the opening ceremonies of the winter games of either 2026 or 2030,” Garff said. “I think that’s a given.”

Harlan said the stadium’s expansion project is on track, adding that the university has already hired an architect and has a “Request for Proposal,” or RFP, out to hire a contractor. A contractor, according to the RFP document, is expected to be determined by May 1. At that point, university officials, the architect and contractor will travel to other universities, such as the University of Arkansas and University of Oklahoma who have recently completed new facilities, to finalize plans.

“We want this to be state of the art,” Harlan said. “I think you do that by stealing ideas and meshing that with your own creations.”

Harlan said the construction of the new renovation should be completed before the start of the 2021 season as most of the stuff is expected to be pre-fabricated, but that they would know more once the university hires a contractor. The university may have to do some things to accommodate those in the south end zone should the project take longer, but Harlan said that’s not the expectation as of now.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Man I hope that's true.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 11:06 PM

With Firestone closing all but one of their Utah locations, their store on 300 S and 200 E would probably be a prime lot to redevelop into something taller. Crossing fingers...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West