HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
  Based on the diagrams above, they are designing the retail to be more in line with the one-story retail that already exists on GA Ave which has zero in common with Fuqua. I'll take that kind of attention to the street level all day, errday.

1 story retail + stick built rectangle buildings which don’t even conform to the angles of the street is not the type of design I want for this area. The apartments they built just west of this lot are more appropriate- I don’t think 1 story retail belongs anywhere along a transit corridor unless they are rehabbing historic buildings. The only redeeming thing about this design is they removed the surface parking.

Last edited by montydawg; Feb 5, 2020 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Fix pic

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post

1 story retail + stick built rectangle buildings which don’t even conform to the angles of the street is not the type of design I want for this area. The apartments they built just west of this lot are more appropriate- I don’t think 1 story retail belongs anywhere along a transit corridor unless they are rehabbing historic buildings. The only redeeming thing about this design is they removed the surface parking.

But this isn't just 1-story retail.  It's a multi-story building with retail that extends to the edge of property.  Sure.  They could extend the retail out to cover the entire site but for me, that doesn't make it a bad plan. And I think its perfectly reasonable for them to concentrate the retail frontage on Hank Aaron at this location.     

You're judging the Summerhill development based on Fuqua's garbage.  This development team has demonstrated a much, much more willingness to create a neighborhood focused development.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:30 AM

I saw this Summerhill development map floating around on Twitter.

#10 is Broadstone Summerhill
#12 is the Trammel Crow project

https://twitter.com/cbenderatl/statu...94196519354370

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 11:22 PM

Summerhill aerial

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 9:28 PM

565 Hank Aaron

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 10:33 PM

The parking lot where phase 2 for GA Ave retail has been closed and trees have been painted with red X’s for removal. Looks like this is about to break ground.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
The parking lot where phase 2 for GA Ave retail has been closed and trees have been painted with red X’s for removal. Looks like this is about to break ground.
Yup I believe plan was fence to go up the 17th and construction to commence imminently afterwards.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 9:16 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 8:16 PM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 11:26 PM

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 22, 2020 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:41 AM

Thank you for that pic! I'm glad to finally see the distinction between the two.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:46 PM

Carter has an updated fly-through video of Summerhill that includes the current plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQ1...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 1, 2020 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:30 PM

I hope every bit of that fly-through happens. Will be tremendous!

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 6:30 PM

Summerhill construction update:

Georgia Avenue construction

Hedgewood Homes should soon complete construction on their first 10 townhomes, with another 16 to follow soon.

Hank Aaron Drive apartments

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_pyWcRJ3eN/

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 8:25 PM

Is there a rendering for what’s being constructed next to Little Tart in that first photo?

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Carter has an updated fly-through video of Summerhill that includes the current plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQ1...ature=youtu.be

I noticed on Summerhill's new website they're talking about announcing the grocer soon. Based on the flythrough wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to woo Publix here.

Unfortunately, it looks like the current iteration shows surface parking with retail wrapping along Hank Aaron Drive. The retail depths are an improvement over the Fuqua crap all over town, but we shall see if they improve that once the grocer signs on board. I trust these guys to do much better than whatever Fuqua would have done here.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 9:30 PM

Atlanta needs to ban drive thrus and stand-alone big box stores.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
I noticed on Summerhill's new website they're talking about announcing the grocer soon. Based on the flythrough wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to woo Publix here.

Unfortunately, it looks like the current iteration shows surface parking with retail wrapping along Hank Aaron Drive. The retail depths are an improvement over the Fuqua crap all over town, but we shall see if they improve that once the grocer signs on board. I trust these guys to do much better than whatever Fuqua would have done here.
I'm almost certain that they announced at the recent neighborhood meeting that they have now signed a grocer for that space. I always assumed it would be Publix just because they seem to be in constant expansion mode within the city.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post

I think that's a great point about the retail depths. To me, these look like legitimate retail buildings similar to those existing on GA Ave. The surface lot is not ideal but I think this is an acceptable compromise in a neighborhood such as this and an example of how Madison Yards could be better.

I was initially skeptical of this plan but thus far I'm quite pleased with what Carter has done.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 8:49 PM

Grocer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I'm almost certain that they announced at the recent neighborhood meeting that they have now signed a grocer for that space. I always assumed it would be Publix just because they seem to be in constant expansion mode within the city.
I wish it were Publix, but somewhere I heard it was an Aldi, which is really underwhelming, in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta