HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Beat me to it on the playoffs thing. We confirmed and will pay by round if they make it. Interesting price scheme. I wonder if they'll use that concept for regular season next year.

We could still will the draft lottery and get 1st pick. Long shot.
They have worded it, "starting with the 2020 playoffs". They already sent out season ticket pricing for next season so its moot at this point. Going forward they may start to increase prices more for certain sections to change the pricing scheme.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:08 PM

They did it again last night, allowing a goal in the first few minutes and going down 3-0 before starting to play. This keeps happening and they know it but it never changes.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They have worded it, "starting with the 2020 playoffs". They already sent out season ticket pricing for next season so its moot at this point. Going forward they may start to increase prices more for certain sections to change the pricing scheme.
Ah yes, that's right. I'm not the primary account holder, so didn't see the email or check pricing. But we did confirm renewal a couple weeks ago.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
They did it again last night, allowing a goal in the first few minutes and going down 3-0 before starting to play. This keeps happening and they know it but it never changes.
Pretty much into desperation territory now. It'll take a prolonged winning streak at this point just to squeak into the playoffs. It feels like 2015 again. Disappointing, but at least this team is fixable.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Pretty much into desperation territory now. It'll take a prolonged winning streak at this point just to squeak into the playoffs. It feels like 2015 again. Disappointing, but at least this team is fixable.
So what happened to the 17-18 mantra, this team is built for long playoff runs for the foreseeable future? Hows that working out?

When the team is employing a fourth line center in the number two centre spot you can reasonably assume that they aren't a contender!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So what happened to the 17-18 mantra, this team is built for long playoff runs for the foreseeable future? Hows that working out?
Don't play with my emotions sipowicz, you know it isn't working out at all!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:41 PM

Copp has been playing very well lately. But ya, injuries and salary cap stuff caught up to them. Which is fairly common in these salary cap parity times.

We'll see if the mini rebuild happening now can see some progress this summer with the salary space opening up.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:35 PM

I also see the reference to 4th line centre may be to Eakin.. Ffs lol

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Don't play with my emotions sipowicz, you know it isn't working out at all!

Draft lottery should interesting, looks like the Jets will be part of it!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 8:14 PM

I wish we were having some second round white out parties right now. Just looking at the empty lots near mts centre, plus they were playing pretty damn good.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:37 AM

Interesting tidbit I found out today:

If hockey is able to start up again this year, it's being assumed it would likely be phased in with social distancing, like way less tickets and people spread out in the bowl. The Jets have a big problem however...

The entrances from the concourse to the bowl at Bell MTS Place are the narrowest in the NHL. This poses a huge challenge for queuing and unloading people to/from the bowl while maintaining social distancing requirements, both before and after the game, and during intermissions. Our concourses are also extremely narrow at some points which pose another big challenge.

Apparently (even though they won't admit it) the NHL and teams are already well into scenario planning, and this issue in Winnipeg has come up. The NHL will likely set minimum safety requirements league-wide based on best available advice (and laws) but the attendance numbers in Winnipeg could be further limited by the space constraints of the building.

Last edited by buzzg; Apr 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 11:55 AM

^ Interesting. I was wondering how a limited capacity scenario would play out. I mean, if you are going to have meaningful social distancing, you'd have to spread people out so there is no one directly in front of you, behind you or to the side. So what does that give you, maybe a couple people per row staggered from top to bottom? So effectively everyone is sitting by themselves? (We'll leave aside for a moment the risk of friends coming to the rink together in the same car)

I'd be curious to know what the league's scenario's looks like. Because I would think that if there is truly going to be some form of social distancing, I don't think there could really be more than about 5,000 people in the building. I've been to Moose games with that many people and some lower bowl sections are still a bit crowded... if you spread that same number through the entire building including upper deck, it would be more manageable.

Then the question becomes who gets access to the limited number (be it 4,000, 6,000 or 8,000) of tickets? Or then again maybe demand will drop off such that those numbers will be sufficient? I can tell you I'm in no great rush to go back to my seats at a Jets game right now... I'd be content to watch on TV if play resumes.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 11:58 PM

Unsurprisingly, Jets are refunding tickets for the remaining 4 home games. No games will be played in front of fans at BellMTS for the remainder of this season.

This is the message:

As a community, we have rallied together in recent months to manage the effects and outcomes of COVID-19, and our collective efforts are working as the number of confirmed cases has slowed in our community. It has been our hope that the 2019-20 regular season would resume, and given the recent surge in the standings and the elevated play of our Winnipeg Jets, this would have created an exciting playoff atmosphere, bolstered by another #WpgWhiteout in our city and province.

Throughout the pause, the NHL has remained consistent in messaging that 'every possibility is being explored'. However, it has become increasingly apparent, that any possibility will not include any further games being played this season in front of fans at Bell MTS Place.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:31 AM
BANNED

NHL and little Gary need to give up on this pipe dream about restarting the season!

Stick a fork in it!

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
NHL and little Gary need to give up on this pipe dream about restarting the season!

Stick a fork in it!
For sure! If the games in early March are the benchmark for "normal", how far away are we from "normal" NHL games?

6 months
12 months
18 months
Never

I'm leaning toward 18 months in time for the 2021/22 season...

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:18 PM

+1

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:57 PM

I feel like dragging this on for years is overkill. We've flattened the curve to not overwhelm hospitals. Which has worked for most places fairly well. At some point here we need to get on with it.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I feel like dragging this on for years is overkill. We've flattened the curve to not overwhelm hospitals. Which has worked for most places fairly well. At some point here we need to get on with it.
With the WHO announcing they don't even think a vaccine will stop this and it will just be a part of life now, that is likely the case.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:06 PM

The government will not allow spectators at sporting events for a long long time. There is no chance of a full arena in 2022.

The Jets are going to have to deal with no paid gate.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:29 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
The government will not allow spectators at sporting events for a long long time. There is no chance of a full arena in 2022.

The Jets are going to have to deal with no paid gate.
That's totally unreasonable and arbitrary. The team will fold long before then without substantial handouts if they have their gate revenues cut off that much. I dont think that this is a realistic long term policy plan. By the end of the calendar year if we still cant host large events its going to start to kill off all sorts of cultural institutions.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan