HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:45 PM

I'm not in love with the design. It feels really broken up and choppy. That said, I think that this Whole Foods is going to be a huge game changer for activating the pedestrian experience in this area.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:51 PM

Something like this would have been nice:

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Something like this would have been nice:
This ^^^ is 10 times better. But alas, this is Atlanta, the land of ugly yellow stucco. F**k, the more I look at the design the more furious I get. It's like they were trying hard to make it look ugly.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
What would you have done differently????
For starters, hire an architectural firm experienced in designing urban retail. The example posted above is a good one. Notice the architectural features that brings the scale of the building down to human level. Also note the signage and architectural interest concentrated at the street level where the humans are likely to be.

Last edited by Martinman; Mar 29, 2019 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 2:14 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I meant to post these yesterday. These may be even better examples of the kind of elements that I think would have made the Midtown WF better.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 2:47 AM

I see these scenes of model urbanity and think, where are the children and old people?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:09 PM

Everything about that tower is extremely mediocre, so I guess the Whole Foods fits in that sense.

The awning over the entrance doesn't even line up with itself as it wraps around the corner...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I see these scenes of model urbanity and think, where are the children and old people?
They’re definitely in the store, living above it, and living in close proximity to it specifically because here is a good urban grocery store nearby. Having a grocery nearby, especially with good urban design that doesn’t waste space above it or around it, is a huge draw for residents in an urban neighborhood.

Here’s my old grocery in DC:
https://goo.gl/maps/3c7HndLAa2q

In contrast, midtown has two POS groceries from an urban design perspective that waste ample space above them and around them due to massive parking decks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 5:02 PM

I am a little more interested in what is inside the new WF than the outside (which, agreed doesn't not look too interesting). Since the Amazon takeover WF has, IMO, declined considerably in quality and offerings, becoming more giant millennial QT. The Buckhead WF is a good example of this decline. If I want everyday groceries I might as well stick with Kroger and Publix. WF used to have that extra feel, look and provisions - you paid more, but it was a little special.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
giant millennial QT
Wow, I live by the one on Ponce and usually only walk over on off-peak times, but Friday evening needed to go and I had an impression of it I couldn't quite put my finger on. You have exactly captured the feeling I got.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 1:17 PM

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 11:37 PM

Did anyone in the city go to any other grocery stores this weekend? That place was a crazy busy.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Did anyone in the city go to any other grocery stores this weekend? That place was a crazy busy.
Trader Joe’s parking lot was still a zoo. Atlanta needs more groceries.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 4:47 PM

Its surprising to me that it's taken this long to get another grocery store in Midtown. Then again when you have Fuqua propagating his suburban model right on edges of the core, I'm sure it takes away from the potential market for urban stores.

By the way, the WFM store layout is a bit weird but that's caused by the grade change on the block. And once Farm Burger opens the corner of Spring & 14th should look better.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
They’re definitely in the store, living above it, and living in close proximity to it specifically because here is a good urban grocery store nearby. Having a grocery nearby, especially with good urban design that doesn’t waste space above it or around it, is a huge draw for residents in an urban neighborhood.

Here’s my old grocery in DC:
https://goo.gl/maps/3c7HndLAa2q

In contrast, midtown has two POS groceries from an urban design perspective that waste ample space above them and around them due to massive parking decks.
I know DC has it's charming rowhouse neighborhoods, but man, so much of DC is sterile...that whole urban scene just screams bland.

And yeah, apparently having a three story rooftop was just so important for Whole Foods to have .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta