HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 1:04 AM

CFL season looking less likely Dr Bonny Henry in BC has not approved the Lions return to play formula and said there will be no large events in BC this summer.

https://3downnation.com/2021/05/09/b...-to-play-plan/

While the B.C. Lions hope to play home games in Vancouver, the province’s health officer has not approved the return-to-play protocols proposal that the team and league has produced.

Dr. Bonnie Henry’s office responded to a 3DownNation inquiry with an exclusive statement: “The BC Lions have made a recent proposal for a return to play and the office of the B.C. Provincial Health Officer is currently reviewing the submission and consulting with the federal government. We will have more to say about what a return to play for the BC Lions may look like in the coming weeks ahead.”

That statement contradicts a national report last week, posted online and revealed on the televised coverage of the Canadian Draft, that each of the six provinces had approved the CFL’s return-to-play proposal.

Henry’s message falls in line with her comments at a news conference last Monday in British Columbia.

“There will not be big events where there’s lots of crowds of people this summer,” Dr.
Henry said May 3.

“There is not likely to be big events — of any sort — even outdoors through this summer, and into the fall, and winter of next year.”

British Columbia’s sports minister Melanie Mark reiterated that there have been no approvals given to the Lions or the CFL.

“Ultimately the Provincial Health Officer will determine when the return to play plan meets the criteria that will ensure the safety of all players, staff and British Columbians,” Mark said in an exclusive statement to 3DownNation.

“We are also working with our colleagues across Canada to find a national consensus to incorporate the interprovincial travel a season would entail.”

Coronavirus case counts have been steadily declining on the West coast since mid-April under new public health orders. The province went from over 1,200 per day to well under four digits in a matter of weeks.

Recently, the three-day Honda Celebration of Light fireworks event — one of Vancouver’s most popular summer celebrations — was cancelled.

The Pacific National Exhibition, usually held from mid-August to Labour Day weekend, also won’t happen in 2021 — even with fair organizers pitching a modified, lower capacity gathering.

The CFL is hoping for a 14-game season, targeted to begin August 5, right around the time those now-cancelled events were scheduled to take place. Most importantly, the league has said a ‘significant’ number of fans must be allowed in stadiums around opening day to proceed with kick-off and people not being allowed to attend outside fireworks or fair doesn’t seem to bode well for the CFL’s timeline.

The league and union began meetings during the second week of February with a focus on playing football this year. The two sides have submitted return to play health and safety plans to various levels of government in Canada.

“I know football fans can’t wait to get back to cheering on their favourite teams like the iconic BC Lions. Staff in my ministry and in the regional health authorities have been working with the league on what a safe return to play could look like,” added Mark, B.C. sport minister.

“Our government announced a $5 billion Action Plan to support people, businesses, and services with reductions in property tax bills and deferrals of other tax payments like EHT and PST.”

“This plan supports sport organizations like the CFL league and its team in BC. We continue to work across ministries to find creative solutions and with the federal government to define what their supports for the sport sector will look like.”

“We will continue to work with the CFL and the rest of the sports sector to support them through this time and to be ready to get back to the field as soon as it is safe to do so.”

After a nasty COVID-19 outbreak ran through the Vancouver Canucks, the province’s beloved NHL franchise barely got back on the ice and will finish last in the North Division. Dr. Henry appears to be practicing patience when it comes to allowing pro sports to be played in B.C. after the Canucks epidemic happened on her watch.

As much as Dr. Henry herself may be looking forward to getting to a B.C. Lions game, the health officer is not going to rush football back on the field during the pandemic. And, clearly, the return-to-play protocols have not been approved.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:49 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Move the Lions to the other coast for this season.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:22 AM
Community Guy

Halifax Sealions

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:45 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Haha - perfect.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 10:50 PM

Toronto banning all outdoor sporting events until Sept 6th. Seems very excessive ?

https://3downnation.com/2021/05/14/c...h-september-6/

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 10:55 PM
Community Guy

Seems like it, but 'this time we want to be sure'...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:54 PM

Starting to look like a repeat of 2020 for the CFL. We're going to lurch from delay to delay until at some point in August or September the plug will be pulled on the whole season. Unfortunately the vaccine rollout is running a little too late and a little too slowly to save the season... I mean, I suppose things could change, but at this point it seems unlikely.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:59 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Damn.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 5:21 PM

Premier Moe said he wants full Mosaic this summer so I am thinking a prairie bubble in AB,SK and MB this summer where the Lions and the east teams play out west for the first 4-6 weeks before BC, ON and Quebec allow some fans in Sept and October.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 5:10 AM

The government of Ontario has been burnt by their own actions so many times that they are now excessively covering their butts. This causes the CFL to lurch about with no certainty.

I think there will be a prairie bubble and I will go and watch Toronto play Ottawa at Mosaic if it comes to that. I'll also be watching as many Rams and Thunder games as I can.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 3:25 PM

A prairie bubble feels like the only hope, but with the way things are in at least AB and MB, it feels like a bit of a long shot at this point.

It's hard to imagine the entire league playing a bubble season in Regina. It was one thing to pull it off with the WHL, but quite another with much larger teams and more complicated logistical requirements.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 3:35 PM

I have a feeling Kenney will allow a bubble in Alberta as Calgary and Edmonton had the curling and world junior bubbles this year and he's more open to opening things up than other premiers. Manitoba is a toss up I dont know if they will have one or not with how bad the numbers are currently.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A prairie bubble feels like the only hope, but with the way things are in at least AB and MB, it feels like a bit of a long shot at this point.

It's hard to imagine the entire league playing a bubble season in Regina. It was one thing to pull it off with the WHL, but quite another with much larger teams and more complicated logistical requirements.
Logistically, I think they could swing it. It's 4 games a week. Friday night, Saturday night, Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon. Surely there would be enough hotel space for 9 teams? If they want to do it with fans, then I think you run into the problem of that region supporting 4 games a week. But it's doubtful they are going to get many fans in home markets anyway. Certainly not an ideal situation but I think it's workable and beats totally losing an entire second season.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Logistically, I think they could swing it. It's 4 games a week. Friday night, Saturday night, Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon. Surely there would be enough hotel space for 9 teams? If they want to do it with fans, then I think you run into the problem of that region supporting 4 games a week. But it's doubtful they are going to get many fans in home markets anyway. Certainly not an ideal situation but I think it's workable and beats totally losing an entire second season.
Doing the entire thing in Regina strikes me as difficult. Regina is a pretty small city and I think finding enough accommodations and training facilities, etc., to support 9 teams could be a challenge. I mean, I could be wrong but I don't think it would be a slam dunk. WHL players were staying at U of R student dorms... it's one thing to convince a 17 year old to do that for a couple of months, I'm not sure how keen a 27 year old would be to do that. It could be tough to persuade American players to come up with the prospect of dorm living and cafeteria food. Also, a CFL team has a lot more players and personnel than a WHL team so I think it would be pretty tough.

That said, if Saskatchewan would potentially be the home of a bubble, I suppose Saskatoon could be brought into the picture. West Division in Regina, East Division in Saskatoon. Griffiths Stadium could be pressed into service... sure it only seats 6,100, but in 2021 that won't really matter.

Even better would be if another CFL city like Winnipeg, Edmonton or Calgary could host another divisional bubble, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be given the covid situation.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Doing the entire thing in Regina strikes me as difficult. Regina is a pretty small city and I think finding enough accommodations and training facilities, etc., to support 9 teams could be a challenge. A CFL team has a lot more players and personnel than a WHL team so I think it would be pretty tough.

That said, if Saskatchewan would potentially be the home of a bubble, I suppose Saskatoon could be brought into the picture. West Division in Regina, East Division in Saskatoon. Griffiths Stadium could be pressed into service... sure it only seats 6,100, but in 2021 that won't really matter.

Even better would be if another CFL city like Winnipeg, Edmonton or Calgary could host another divisional bubble, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be.
Things are looking kinda dark in toba as of now Esquire, but as we've seen in other provinces and countries, once the vaccine take-up reaches a tipping point things get better pretty quickly.
Right now our officials are erring on the side of caution at an 11 level just so they don't get burnt again. I can see things being very different by August at the latest.

Keep the faith CFL fans, we will see games on the field before the snow flies!!!!

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 1:21 PM

There will be CFL this year. The whole league realizes they can't go another year with not playing. Out of sight and out of mind is bad for a league of it's stature.

The games will heavily begin out West and then slowly move their way out East once things get kicking out there with vaccines. Cases are going down in Alberta currently and people are getting the vaccine.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:01 AM

At least the NFL is making money unlike the CFL who keep losing money if they keep goin like this y'all

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
At least the NFL is making money unlike the CFL who keep losing money if they keep goin like this y'all
Well, when you have billion dollar TV deals before the season even starts, of course you'll make money. The NFL teams just print money.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Well, when you have billion dollar TV deals before the season even starts, of course you'll make money. The NFL teams just print money.
Even so would rather have an NFL team here in Toronto than a CFL team cuz the Argos ain't even shit. Like when the last time they was even entertaining to watch like I'm askin y'all on some real shit? When is the last time they sold out a game? Or when is the last time they drew money in any sort of way?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:50 PM

Alright buddy maybe dont come to a new forum and disrupt the entire Canada board because you're bored.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada